How many people are employed monitoring us?

I wonder how many civil servants are employed hacking into our computers and monitoring us as we log into ARRSE etc?

Is it worth the taxpayer's cash (sorry - Gordon's cash) and are we all that subversive that Big Brother has to watch us? Or is it an enormous infringement of our civil rights? :evil:

tattybadger said:
I wonder how many civil servants are employed hacking into our computers and monitoring us as we log into ARRSE etc?
None, come on lets be serious, they do not need to hack your computer - you think your internet traffic just goes from A - B.... no it goes A - Bletchley - C; just ask CC :D

I'm ok (hopefully!) - hardware firewall, software firewall, intruder prevention software, MAC filtering, ip address is "randomly generated :twisted: ", not to mention being careful to ensure that v few people can work out who I am from what is being posted!

If anyone can get to my pc, they're a better geek than me! :roll:

Having said that, Gordon's piggy bank must be overflowing, what with all these defence cuts etc.

Maybe all the extra civil servants he has taken on are destined for the "Big Brother" job - installing cameras in the tv house :lol:

Infringement of civil rights? Most certainly. Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion, whatever it is. So what's yours? :wink:

GR

and industry.

I know for a fact a couple of links to some threads have been emailed to managers. Forums on the RLI are also monitored by industry.

Why would the government want to spy on us...

...why are you concerned if you've got nothing to hide?

Eeek, where's me tinfoil hat gone!!! 8O

Seriously though, it amuses me no end that the cnuts in power now who are so happpy to shaft your privacy are the very people that MI5 had files on back in their student days because they were deemed to be "dangerous radicals"

I'm willing to bet some current members of the cabinet had a little shredding session as soon as they got into power.

Not amount of 'hardware firewall, software firewall, intruder prevention software, MAC filtering, ip address is "randomly generated" will stop your packets being intercepted on your ISP's packetshapers. Unlucky. And of course, unless you have a static IP your ip is always going to be dynamic, and thus randomly generated.

Ghost, are you from scotland by any chance?

E

error_unknown

Boring boring. Nobody here should be posting anything classified, and call me Mr Sneaky but if I see anything that - I think - is, I PM the Mods straight away and ask them nicely to remove it.

We are perfectly entitled to our opinions as members of the Armed Forces but we shouldn't claim that our personal opinions are those of our employers, and anyone reading this site would need to be stupid to imagine that they are.

I can't imagine it would take any decent IT security bod very long to identify who is who here, but there shouldn't be a strong need for them to do so either.

spank_the_monkey said:
...will stop your packets being intercepted on your ISP's packetshapers. Unlucky.

Ghost, are you from scotland by any chance?
I agree that the packets can be intercepted at ISP. However, if the ISP thinks they come from another IP address from within their allocated range (i.e. not the IP allocated to me), then they would have difficulty tracing to me. Software to spoof IP addresses is freely available on t'interweb (apparently :lol: ), and if they strip the wrapping off it, they find a private ip address from my LAN :twisted:

:idea:

GR

IP spoofing? Any half-decent router/firewall will detect that, and you would need to be quite proficient at linux to do it with any success, and even then it is useless for browsing - however it is good for bypassing simple IP filters, yes. Proxies are the only way to go for some privacy.

spank_the_monkey said:
IP spoofing? Any half-decent router/firewall will detect that,
Yes, but its one more layer they have to dig through.

and you would need to be quite proficient at linux to do it with any success,
True.

and even then it is useless for browsing -
Linux is becoming more and more popular. Its the weapon of choice for those Anti-Microsoft among us.

however it is good for bypassing simple IP filters, yes.
Which was the original point

Proxies are the only way to go for some privacy.
Are there any more secrets you would like to give away :?: :wink:

If any of you are worried about big borther readingyour emails, you want to try using PGP encryption, its free on the net, and it P1sses the people at big brother no end, as it takes them quite a while to decrypt

Its basically a 128bit encryption for those of you who are intrested

Sabre said:
If any of you are worried about big borther readingyour emails, you want to try using PGP encryption, its free on the net, and it P1sses the people at big brother no end, as it takes them quite a while to decrypt

Its basically a 128bit encryption for those of you who are intrested
From the PGP Destruction Handbook said:
With PGPmail, you can protect the privacy of your email messages and files by encrypting them so that only the intended recipients can read them. You can also digitally sign messages and files, which ensures their authenticity. A signed message verifies that the information within it has not been tampered with in any way.

PGP is based on a widely accepted encryption technology known as public key cryptography in which two complementary keys—a keypair—are used to maintain secure communications. To send someone a private email message, you use a copy of that person’s public key to encrypt the information, which only they can decipher by using their private key. Conversely, when someone wants to send you encrypted mail, they use a copy of your public key to encrypt the data, which only you can decipher by using a copy of your private key.
Download the lastest version here. It is entirely free for personal use, and you can even send encrypted mail to non-pgp users by creating a unique "Self-Decrypting Archive", so that the recipient only has to enter their passphrase to retrieve the information - obviously, the more complex the passphrase, the better. Good if you wish to send sensitive material via email e.g. bank details etc etc

http://www.pgp.com/downloads/index.html

E

error_unknown

Feck off you tw@ts. In the remote possibility that HMG will take an interest, your arrses are history.

Encrypt do what you want but how about just going totally anonymous in a random pattern beteen local libraries,internet cafes service stations, even some pubs have machines now, its easy to hide from anyone, just don't follow patterns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats if you must hide anyway!
We have pgp tools and all sorts of clever sht to spread virii yep this is true but remember the old DOS virii one keystroke, oops win.ini files gone not too tricky is it! The old ones are the best ones!
As for big brother, who gives a fcuk ,what do u want to know, like everyone else i will cry like a baby to the press be out in two, write a book while im there and make a packet!

Who fcuking cares anyway?

I would imagine that after the few years that Arrse has been running the spooks have pretty well sussed that we are probably the least likely website to actually be a threat to "national security" and the most likely to grass on anyone that genuinely was.

I had a hammer and sickle flag in my bunk in BFG (being the commy subversive that I was) and seem to recall one of the BAT's walking around in a CCCP football top every time he was let loose in the screws mess. Funnily enough though we never seemed to get raided by MI6.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss if a few bored number crunchers in Cheltenham have figured out who I am and that I have views slightly right of the Tory party, it's no different to the fact that the CO's and quite a few other posters know my name and address. For all I know the entire site may be an elaborate set up by "Q" with 007 waiting in the wings to jump out of my cheese sandwich and put an end to my plans for world domination.

I'm fairly confident that for those still serving, the "watchers" game plan does not include bubbling you to your CO for complaining about boots not fitting, weapons not firing, the RSM being a nasty man, green not being "this seasons colour" and all the rest of the stuff we generally whine about.

I'm sure (neigh, know) that there are VV senior bods that post on here that obviously know that their comments are being watched but they tend not to care as their posts are informative and relevant to the topics being discussed without compromising anything.

I bet you they even have a "drunken b0llocks" section that filters out the late night Stella posts :D

If we were posting on "www.letshaveanarmedrevoltwithourbigpointybangsticks.com" then we might have something to worry about.

I’d say that the worse we have to worry about is that the Rasman, Adjt, OC or CO figures out who you are through overly specific posts and pulls you for being a little whiny git.

Or in my case that the labour MP that you did a quote for and made the mistake of telling him about Arrse actually came on the site and figured out that I though Bliar was a cnut. :D

I think this site is viewed by the powers that be for the opinions, rumours ect It would not surprise me if Walker and Pod are amongst the ranks in the banter playing tom giving some poster a good slagging, but Big brother has more pressing matters than this site or its posters hard drive.

You'd hope that those people currently employed on watching dodgy websites for subversive activities didn't waste their time here. Maybe they just turn up for light relief ? "Yes boss, I've got to monitor the NAAFI for agents STUMPY and LITTLE RTFQ ..."