How many officer cadets apply for the Household Cavalry?

They're not a competitive regiment. They don't select based on merit. If your face fits, you're in. If you don't already know if your face fits, it won't fit.

Not a clue how many applied but on Friday 1 commissioned into the Life Guards and 1 into the Blues and Royals.

Chatting to the latter as he was in Albertous Junior's company and he had more plumbs in his mouth than Waitrose have in the fruit and veg isle of a large store.

I've long disagreed with the process of selecting for the RAC and HCAV and offering up confirmed cadetships before even seeing the candidates in a military setting (or confirmed cadetships in general).

One example being an utter cretin of an OCdt who failed all his RCBs into the RAC (having put in several cringe worthy performances at fam visits), but instead of going into clearing like the rest of us mortals, went into 'RAC' clearing where one of the Cavalry Regiments made space for him. Quite frankly he wouldn't have survived in the RLC or RAMC dealing with normal people.

My biggest issue is that we have people commanding some of the most powerful weapons in the British Army who aren't there based on their ability.

I've long disagreed with the process of selecting for the RAC and HCAV and offering up confirmed cadetships before even seeing the candidates in a military setting (or confirmed cadetships in general).

One example being an utter cretin of an OCdt who failed all his RCBs into the RAC (having put in several cringe worthy performances at fam visits), but instead of going into clearing like the rest of us mortals, went into 'RAC' clearing where one of the Cavalry Regiments made space for him. Quite frankly he wouldn't have survived in the RLC or RAMC dealing with normal people.

My biggest issue is that we have people commanding some of the most powerful weapons in the British Army who aren't there based on their ability.
A fair point though I can't really comment other than CC183 that commissioned on Friday and according to Junior whilst in the past there was a RAC clearing process, this course there were too many accepted to find RAC spaces for those others who had failed RSBs.

On Friday the RAC, including HC regts and RTR commissioned 22 officer cadets out of a total of 243 UK cadets.

To correct an early post, the hussar regt that cut Albertous Junior prior to RSBs commissioned 4 from 6 interviews not 2 from 4.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
That's all it takes to establish whether the applicant is 'one of us'.
They've already stalked your Facebook/Instagram and think you have the right face, they've seen your results and seen you have the right mindset and now they are checking that you have the right sounding voice. Seems about right!

Euclid

Old-Salt
Now I’m a little out of date here, but less than 10% into RAC? So let’s assume for one moment that Tarquin from Winchester and Oxford Poly fails to get into a cavalry regiment because he’s been a mong at Sandhurst, would he end up in the RA or RLC or RAMC? Because that I would love to see.
A fair point though I can't really comment other than CC183 that commissioned on Friday and according to Junior whilst in the past there was a RAC clearing process, this course there were too many accepted to find RAC spaces for those others who had failed RSBs.

On Friday the RAC, including HC regts and RTR commissioned 22 officer cadets out of a total of 243 UK cadets.

To correct an early post, the hussar regt that cut Albertous Junior prior to RSBs commissioned 4 from 6 interviews not 2 from 4.

Now I’m a little out of date here, but less than 10% into RAC? So let’s assume for one moment that Tarquin from Winchester and Oxford Poly fails to get into a cavalry regiment because he’s been a mong at Sandhurst, would he end up in the RA or RLC or RAMC? Because that I would love to see.
There were quite a few in RAMC mess dress at the commissioning ball last week. And gunner and RLC for that matter.

Given there are only 10 RAC regts left 22 for one commissioning course is above average I suspect.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Given there are only 10 RAC regts left 22 for one commissioning course is above average I suspect.
RAC regiments take 5-6 a year, so it's a little high but not massively so.

So let’s assume for one moment that Tarquin from Winchester and Oxford Poly fails to get into a cavalry regiment because he’s been a mong at Sandhurst, would he end up in the RA or RLC or RAMC?
Yup. Happens all the time, although they normally have enough good taste not to join the gunners.

There was a 2012 Documentary on RMAS, with one (apparently) absolute useless throbber of a cadet confirmed to the HCAV. And He got through. It does make one wonder.

There was a 2012 Documentary on RMAS, with one (apparently) absolute useless throbber of a cadet confirmed to the HCAV. And He got through. It does make one wonder.
Yeah, I saw it (good documentary).
Whilst I think it was a proper hatchet job to make him look incompetent, there was a fair weight of truth behind it - his fitness and integrity over the ACFT, the final board prior to commission, the rather uncomfortable RSB with the Ret'd Col (stuff you can't just fake).

This highlighted the real issues with the confirmed cadet system as far better people would've been ready and willing to step into the newly vacant spot had he been binned.

What I can say is that he must've had a kick up the arrse as he did the Devizes to Westminster canoe race with a friend of mine, which by all accounts is a fairly arduous event.

Last edited:

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
there was a fair weight of truth behind it
Not that much truth. For example, his fitness was well up to standard. He just had the misfortune to be put into a specially selected platoon that had a sub-8:15 PFA average. There's also a scene where they claim he's chosen beagling and shooting as his sports - that's not actually true, it's very clever editing from the production team.

He's also since proved to be a very good officer.

Not that much truth. For example, his fitness was well up to standard. He just had the misfortune to be put into a specially selected platoon that had a sub-8:15 PFA average. There's also a scene where they claim he's chosen beagling and shooting as his sports - that's not actually true, it's very clever editing from the production team.

He's also since proved to be a very good officer.
The media twist something to met a pre-conceived idea?

Shocked I tell you, shocked...

Back then it was only the "top" that went to Sandhurst...
Actually they had an order of merit back then, which was published! They also didn't fudge the results as I have one from 1948 when a Bowes Lyon was in the last three.
However there is a thread on here which is called the 'Curse of the Sword' and tracks many of the shooting stars from The SMC/CC and sees where they ultimately ended up. Many marched off at Captain/Major - a few however reached the aerated heights of CGS like General Danny Glover who was my dads SUO in Alamein Co and got the sword back in 1948.

They've already stalked your Facebook/Instagram and think you have the right face, they've seen your results and seen you have the right mindset and now they are checking that you have the right sounding voice. Seems about right!
Agree with that. We then used subalterns feedback from the Regimental visits.

Yup, he was last seen as a Captain in the Mounted Troop. Interestingly devoid of medals so perhaps deemed unsafe for overseas service!

Latest Threads