How many of you became fluent in German through being based there?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm in Austria just now and have a smattering of German to get me by, but I was wondering about you crusties based in Germany and how many of you became fluent in the tongue?

Or did most of you settle for the ability to order beer, women and clap cream?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm in Austria just now and have a smattering of German to get me by, but I was wondering about you crusties based in Germany and how many of you became fluent in the tongue?

Bit of both TBH, wouldn't say I was fluent in it by any means but was above the basic.

Jawohl meine freund, hande hoch, for du ze war ez over.

It's like you are trying to attract someone to this thread...

the ability to get beer, food, laid and basic directions.

that's fluent, right?

also the ability to make up very bad german phrases and tell them to new guys - such as Benzine Panzer for petrol tank, and

Ich bin ein großer unterwasser panzer farher

and the worst one of all which involved fists, bottoms, and mustard as a lubricant

After 20 yrs in the Fatherland, I was pretty fluent.
However being in Austria and I've been a few times, German is not much use, its some sort of weird dialects they use and that always left my (admittedly minuscule) brain bouncing around in my skull :oops:

but I was wondering about you crusties based in Germany and how many of you became fluent in the tongue?
Gott in Himmell, verdammt Englander schweinehund. das ist mein hund, Mitzi und zwei große biere mit pommes und mayo schnell, während ich hier bin, Dumkopf!

Now you have seen my linguistic skills you'll probably want to hire me as the official translator for your tour of the Germanic nations. I can charge by the day or by the sentence... your choice.

One summer I had a sprog in my right-hand drive car and driving through the one way street circuit of L*******t with the windows down when he asked me what was a sure way to become "friends" with German girls/ladies.

I suggested that he say "Darf ich eine muschi-lecken haben, bitte?" to any girl/lady who took his eye. He asked me to repeat it a number of times up to the point where an absolute babe reached into the car and gave me a huge smack across the chops.....

By fcuk it hurt - I have always wondered if she would have allowed me to do the dirty deed, though.

Last edited:
2 x 3 year tours and I could get around OK, not hold a conversation but make myself known.
Worst thing was that as soon as they clocked the English accent they'd speak English because they wanted the practice.