How many more companies are going tits up

Discussion in 'Economics' started by re-stilly, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that this year will see a lot of household names going to the wall. Already this year we have had

La Senza
    Barrett's Shoes
    Blacks/Millets
    Sea France
    HMV - Looking very shaky

So who will be next?

Personally I think

Jessops
    Thomas Cook

2. So, Millets has gone into administration... Now is the winter of our discount tent.

• Like Like x 35
  3. River Island
    Thomas Cook
    Burtons
    HMV

4. Would that be "Halleys" Comet or "Hale-Bopp" ?

5. So the UK highstreet is going to be nothing but Fast food, 99p shops and "Nail Art" type places by the end of the year?

Sounds horrible.

6. Sounds like Thetford!

7. Sounds like any town/village/city in the UK

8. My company :( although its not in the UK.

9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Some of HMV's senior types needs to seriously look at their customer demographics. I had the misfortune to bimble into one of their stores the other day and it was a nightmare from the moment I stepped over the threshold. I didn't actually have anything in mind to buy but thought I might idly browse the CDs and probably buy a couple. Unfortunately, the environment doesn't lend itself to idle browsing by a long shot. Loud (and I mean loud) grungy music, endless special offers, weird layout and rack upon rack of Batman/Ghostbusters t-shirts do not for a pleasant place make and I couldn't wait to get out of there. The store is clearly aimed at the feckless (alright, teenagers then) and yet 90% of the dozen or so people in there were in their late 30s, early 40s. No wonder they're circling the drain, it was a miserable experience.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Amazon is my much cheaper friend with a bigger range, better service and no need to push pass the monging chavs that clutter up most shops these days.

11. I had the same experience a while back. That's why I now do my Bluray shopping etc online. The staff are uninterested student mongs, as are the majority of the people shopping inside. It doesn't lend itself to easy shopping. Every HMV appear to have a similar layout, and IMO it's "messy" for lack of a better word.

12. But not sound, if Forastero's experience is any measure.

13. Was it "our price" records (I can't remember what the shop was called, but something similar)? They used to have a bank of headphones in each store and a selection of new albums you could listen to. Or you could request the staff to put one in the system if you wanted a listen before you bought it.

14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I do mine all on Amazon now as well, a shedload easier, can spend 15 mins browsing with a nice cup o tea in my sweaty mitt and usually delivered within a couple of days. Try doing that in HMV. HMV hasn't changed at all since I was a yteenager twenty years ago, same bloody t-shirts as well. When was the last time you saw someone, anyone, wearing a Ghostbusters t-shirt?

15. Bang on.

I remember Our Price in Woolwich in the early 90's and never went anywhere else for music

I'm sure Virgin Records before they went pop a few years back had a similar set up?