How many MFO Screws?

Can anyone remember the optimum number of screws we needed to build a standard size MFO box? - I can remember using an electric screwdriver but have a bet on the number of screws put in with it.

simbo

LE
48 IIRC. 4 along the short sides and 8 along the long sides x2. Anyone remember the oilskin inserts- they were like rocking horse poo.

Which of the standard sizes?

I remember all the 'fun' of trying to match lids and bases to sides.

'electric screwdriver'??? The things hadn't been invented by the time I screwed my last MFO box and shipped all my worldly goods and chattels back to UK.... and trusted they would survive the battering at the hands of the Neanderthals employed to do MQ moves... How many screws depended on how heavy your box was. If you wanted your expensive HiFi and speakers to survive the journey you used as many as possible and wrapped the box with the metal banding wire as well.

I remember the steel they were made from was mild so as you screwed them in the slot would distort.

Great as when you took them apart to return to the QM you cut your fingers to bits.

Mind I somehow never returned mine when posted from German and they are now the attack floor lining on my old house.

I still have a square mfo box.

I remember getting back to barracks in West Malaysia from a tour in Borneo, picking up my MFO box which presumably had sat for months in the tropical clime and finding just about everything was mildewed and pretty well ruined.

And does anyone remember 'woolly bear' ?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
The winter nights must simply fly by for you lot.

4(T)

LE
Well, I still have both large rectangular and small square MFO boxes in my shed and so, if required, so I can go and get a definitive answer on the screw count (if I brave the spiders and other garden denizens).

I think at least one of them hasn't been opened in 20+ years and is full of buckshee P58 webbing and ponchos.

If we're on to MFO box dits, then here we go: a less-than-popular member of the Mess was sent to the Falklands at short notice, just after the war. He packed his allocated MFO box (the cube version) with all the kit and goodies needed for the 6-month tour. As soon as he turned his back, his essential kit was (of course, what did you expect?) replaced with his mess kit, service dress, civvie suits and some treasured possessions. Also included were (IIRC) two cabbages, some NAAFI bread loaves, a sack of rabbit food - and half a dozen male and female mice from the pet shop. I gather that at least some of the rodents (and/or their descendants) made it all the way to Kelly's Garden, having en route shredded most of the box contents into suitable nesting material.

Well, I still have both large rectangular and small square MFO boxes in my shed and so, if required, so I can go and get a definitive answer on the screw count (if I brave the spiders and other garden denizens).

I think at least one of them hasn't been opened in 20+ years and is full of buckshee P58 webbing and ponchos.

If we're on to MFO box dits, then here we go: a less-than-popular member of the Mess was sent to the Falklands at short notice, just after the war. He packed his allocated MFO box (the cube version) with all the kit and goodies needed for the 6-month tour. As soon as he turned his back, his essential kit was (of course, what did you expect?) replaced with his mess kit, service dress, civvie suits and some treasured possessions. Also included were (IIRC) two cabbages, some NAAFI bread loaves, a sack of rabbit food - and half a dozen male and female mice from the pet shop. I gather that at least some of the rodents (and/or their descendants) made it all the way to Kelly's Garden, having en route shredded most of the box contents into suitable nesting material.

I can neither confirm, nor deny, the rumours that when a particularly stupid soldier at 3 AFA was sent to the land of stripey sunshine, that his kit was soaked in milk before being put in storage.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
In the quartermaster's office at Ballykinler Camp NI, there was a very large 10 or 12 cm screw fixed in a wooden frame. Underneath the screw on a polished brass plate it said LEST I FORGET

The QM had indented for screws for MFO boxes and used the wrong Catt Number. thousands of large screws arrived in very many heavy wooden crates.

I remember getting back to barracks in West Malaysia from a tour in Borneo, picking up my MFO box which presumably had sat for months in the tropical clime and finding just about everything was mildewed and pretty well ruined.

And does anyone remember 'woolly bear' ?
Woolly Bear?

48 IIRC. 4 along the short sides and 8 along the long sides x2. Anyone remember the oilskin inserts- they were like rocking horse poo.
Certainly do, the old man got them for one move - the oilskin, or whatever they were inners were sealed with black nasty, lids screwed down and sent off to storage. I recall when he finally left and the accumulated boxes sent to storage from Cyprus, Aden, Singapore and Germany were delivered to Sua Tela Tonanti Tower's they totalled 38.

Does anyone remember the wooden MFO boxes before the foldy plywood one's were invented?

shadowonarun

Old-Salt

2 in the bottom in the hopes that it will fall out in a comedy style as soon as it’s lifted. 46 in the top to make it a bastard to open
Hope this helps

Mind I somehow never returned mine when posted from German and they are now the attack floor lining on my old house.
My dad built fitted cabinets in the front room, nice dark stained wood, until you opened a cupboard to discover the MFO box complete with stencil markings on the inside

Sold the house to a chiropodist who ran the business in the same room complete with MFO cupboards still in situ

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had one catch up with me three postings after I chucked it into the system! It were like Christmas so it were,,,,

Latest Threads