How Many Lives Will CV-19 Save?

I saw a report earlier about the air quality improving because of less vehicles on land sea and air due to the lockdown.

It lead to me thinking how many lives have not been lost on these various means. We’ve only been locked down for a short period, but undoubtedly there have been less accidents and deaths than there would have been in normal life. Consider this further and you can include the lives saved in industry.

Besides deaths there will be a reduction in violent crimes outside the home due to the pubs being shout and stabby types being prevented from roaming the streets.

Every cloud and all that.

I saw a report earlier about the air quality improving because of less vehicles on land sea and air due to the lockdown.

It lead to me thinking how many lives have not been lost on these various means. We’ve only been locked down for a short period, but undoubtedly there have been less accidents and deaths than there would have been in normal life. Consider this further and you can include the lives saved in industry.

Besides deaths there will be a reduction in violent crimes outside the home due to the pubs being shout and stabby types being prevented from roaming the streets.

but its costing an arm & a leg....

Big recession equals, poorer people, greedy bosses, worse living conditions and more crime, thus most likely increasing rates of death.

All those clogged up arteries will be having some relief due to the enforced closure of McDonalds, KFC etc. No doubt their usual customer base and their kids will now be consuming healthy, home cooked alternatives!

All those clogged up arteries will be having some relief due to the enforced closure of McDonalds, KFC etc. No doubt their usual customer base and their kids will now be consuming healthy, home cooked alternatives!
Toilet roll and hand sanitiser, the new way forward in healthy eating.

Think I've posted this before but we need to bear in mind that on average 1600 people die each day in the UK. That's 48,000 per month. How many of these would be part of the monthly toll anyway but whose cause of death has been listed as being due to Corona is naturally unknown but some of the deaths must be.

I don't doubt that the monthly toll over the next few months will be higher than average but how much higher is unknown. If we're lucky it won't be much. If we aren't lucky...

Edit:

And whilst I'm on, there was an article on the BBC news just now about misleading or inaccurate stories being spread by social media. Now very probably the people who post/forward these stories are, by and large, well meaning. However, the old saying from WW2 is extremely relevant at this point, namely:

CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES

So DO NOT spread a story or piece of information you receive from a friend or see on social media.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that the monthly toll over the next few months will be higher than average but how much higher is unknown. If we're lucky it won't be much. If we aren't lucky...
I doubt it, given the fact that all-causes mortality rates seem to be decreasing; maybe in a few months the plague's effect will be seen in the graphs, but I suspect that they won't make even a blip.

Think I've posted this before but we need to bear in mind that on average 1600 people die each day in the UK. That's 48,000 per month. How many of these would be part of the monthly toll anyway but whose cause of death has been listed as being due to Corona is naturally unknown but some of the deaths must be.

If you look at the ONS who publish weekly death totals, the number of deaths in UK for the week 13 to 20 March was 10,645. The same week over the previous 5 years averaged out came to 10,573. In that week this year, 103 were from Covid-19. So we have an increase (on average) of 72 further deaths.

Just something to start you off.

pooky

Old-Salt

Edit:

And whilst I'm on, there was an article on the BBC news just now about misleading or inaccurate stories being spread by social media. Now very probably the people who post/forward these stories are, by and large, well meaning. However, the old saying from WW2 is extremely relevant at this point, namely:

CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES

So DO NOT spread a story or piece of information you receive from a friend or see on social media.
Just one example of the press jumping to conclusions:

Family and friends pay tribute to Preston woman, 26, who died from cardiac arrest
Jayne Lowry, an animal care assistant with the RSPCA in Preston, died from a cardiac arrest after testing negative for COVID-19, say family. The 26-year-old died in the early hours of Sunday morning (March 29) from cardiac arrest, just days after celebrating her birthday.
It had been reported in the national press that Jayne died after contracting coronavirus, but her family have confirmed that she had tested negative for COVID-19.

Well here in Thailand where so far around 12 people have died of Covid-19, and between 70 and 90 people die on the roads each day, the drop in road traffic in the last couple of weeks will have reduced what the death toll would have been by a considerable margin. The number of lives saved must be in triple figures by now,

Just one example of the press jumping to conclusions:

Family and friends pay tribute to Preston woman, 26, who died from cardiac arrest
Jayne Lowry, an animal care assistant with the RSPCA in Preston, died from a cardiac arrest after testing negative for COVID-19, say family. The 26-year-old died in the early hours of Sunday morning (March 29) from cardiac arrest, just days after celebrating her birthday.
It had been reported in the national press that Jayne died after contracting coronavirus, but her family have confirmed that she had tested negative for COVID-19.
Rule number one in the media, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I thought about how drug use must have done a u turn . Already seen a few stories of people getting busted with kilos of cocaine trying to move them and getting stopped by chance or because they stand out like a sore thumb without the public around . Guessing there are a lot of junkies and coke heads going without now .

Also what will happen to the working week after this ? Most of the staff at my place are working fine from home and probably could in the future . Emmisions from vehicles must be 5% of what they were , it would be nice if it could stay like that .

I thought about how drug use must have done a u turn . Already seen a few stories of people getting busted with kilos of cocaine trying to move them and getting stopped by chance or because they stand out like a sore thumb without the public around . Guessing there are a lot of junkies and coke heads going without now .

Also what will happen to the working week after this ? Most of the staff at my place are working fine from home and probably could in the future . Emmisions from vehicles must be 5% of what they were , it would be nice if it could stay like that .
I only "work" (cough) two and a half days a week now. When this is all over, I strongly suspect one of those days is going to be from home. If as many people as possible did that, traffic levels would drop markedly, to the benefit of everyone.

saw something the other day
"the world is temporarily closed for repair" apt I think?

...DO NOT spread a story or piece of information you receive from a friend or see on social media.

ARRSE is social media - and I've seen more useful advice and more credible information here, compared to the BBC and the like.

ARRSE is social media - and I've seen more useful advice and more credible information here, compared to the BBC and the like.
That's as may be but everyone should think very carefully before they spread "information". Starting with the BBC.

They reported earlier that UK deaths today "soared" by 580-odd. No, they didn't "soar", they "rose". Stopping using emotive and inflammatory language might go a long way to reducing stress levels amongst the population generally. This issue is grave enough without some journo mong sexing it up a bit.

Mountain Rescue here - not had a callout for over two weeks, this weekend there were 4 minor callouts for the whole of England & Wales (Sweaties are separate).

We'd normally have at least four or five over the same period, probably more given the weather was good.

One thing that has yet to be seen is the despondent calls we get - sadly, we do tend to spend a fair bit of time looking for people who have tried, or succeeded, in taking their own lives. No unusual pattern as yet, but if things get screwy for a long time and financial/job issues start to become more detrimental to people's mental health, then that could change.

That said, less dementia sufferers wandering off.. every cloud...

There will probably be fewer talented rappers, footballers or models stabbed or shot to death in London or elsewhere because of the virus.

Mountain Rescue here - not had a callout for over two weeks, this weekend there were 4 minor callouts for the whole of England & Wales (Sweaties are separate).

We'd normally have at least four or five over the same period, probably more given the weather was good.

One thing that has yet to be seen is the despondent calls we get - sadly, we do tend to spend a fair bit of time looking for people who have tried, or succeeded, in taking their own lives. No unusual pattern as yet, but if things get screwy for a long time and financial/job issues start to become more detrimental to people's mental health, then that could change.

That said, less dementia sufferers wandering off.. every cloud...
I don't know if this has anything at all to do with the pandemic, however over in Chichester (not very mountainous) ta whole family were found dead (including the dog) .

The bodies of Kelly Fitzgibbons, 40, and Robert Needham, 42, were found alongside their children Ava Needham, four, and two-year-old Lexi Needham.

A murder investigation began after police were called to Duffield Lane in Woodmancote near Chichester on Sunday.

Detectives are "not seeking anyone else in connection with the matter" and described it as an "isolated incident".

There will probably be fewer talented rappers, footballers or models stabbed or shot to death in London or elsewhere because of the virus.

not a post for the 'good news' thread then

Latest Threads