How many jumps a year?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by CptDanjou, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Roughly how many jumps a year do regular Paras make, and how many do TA Paras make?

I`m interested in your knowledge from any era

Ta

2. I can tell you from my experience in the early 80`s, i did more jumps annually in 10 Para, than i did when in the regular army. However, with the shortage of aircraft nowadays, its probably more even!

3. So how many p.a?

4. I was in a para role for 2 1/2 years (99-01) and did 18 jumps - 8 on BPC, 2 water jumps in Gib, 2 out of a Czech Army Hip and 6 in continuation trg or on exercise.

5. ive lost count the amount ive done that many. The legion do more than the brits, hard to give an answer to the original question as the site is full of jump dodgers

6. I managed to knock out more than 30 descents (static line) in a single year but that was only due to getting on foreign jumps exchanges and trialling the LLP from a C 130 J type.

The amount of "normal" unit jumps was roughly 6 a year including exercises and bog standard "keeping qualified" jumps.

During one particular year I carried out the sum total of zero due to non availibilty of air frames, cancelled descents due to the met being shite and two occasions of actually been hooked up in the aircraft and then being told the winds were out of limits.

7. I've got the count of your lobs, jump dodger!.........zero, zilch, nil!:toilet:

• Like Like x 1
  8. In order to maintain para pay, it used to be the minimum of 4 descents per annum. Operational requirements such as N. Ire. tours took priority and the system adopted an 'understanding' view to the unit's circumstances. The issue then became a ground / synthetic training matter. Depending on the period of time which had elapsed since the soldier had last undertaken a descent, the synthetic training was factored to get rid of the rust spots in the memory banks.

Four 'Hollywood' ( to keep our American amigos in the picture) day descents do not necessarily equate to a full sim stick load laden down with kit. Hence the variation in the synthetic training, but in instances it got around the jump requirement if the Paymaster was being pedantic. That's how it used to be. It was a long time ago and I was very very drunk...............................

• Like Like x 1
  9. .....................It would be unusual for anyone to do more than (about) 8 jumps per year on average.

Being with the TA would have got you the extra balloon jump a few years back.

Exchange Exercises with the Yanks, Germans, Frogs, Canadians etc etc would up that number too.

C130, PX4, LLP trials again would up the jump count.

The most jumps I've ever done is 8 in One day. All Balloon. The Links Aberdeen!

10. You almost have enough to have forgotten how many you did. You could also have gotten a more ally avatar. :)

11. There was a wooden yoyo in the Stockton-on-Tees bar that was awarded to person who did the most jumps each year. IIRC D**y C****ns held the record at not short of three figures. In those days you could do 10 or more jumps per day out of the balloon and so a dole wallah could rack up a lot quite quickly. I've done six from a chinook in day but that was in order to help a PJI get his qualification so a bit unusually and unlikely to be repeated.

These days I would imagine one per annum would be a realistic target.

12. The good old TA eh twoup. I did 6 in a day once at Hankley, including 3 after a liquid lunch at The Golden Fleece in Elstead. lets just say my landings were a bigger bag of shite than normal!

13. During one particular year I carried out the sum total of zero due to non availibilty of air frames, cancelled descents due to the met being shite and two occasions of actually been hooked up in the aircraft and then being told the winds were out of limits.

Wasnt the year the OC sqn (fat controller) started having a whitey over Hankley was it.... so all of a sudden the wind was too much and it was aborted

14. Stop talking shit, you Hat REMF!:tp:

OC sqn, fat controller, whitey over Hankely.......tells a lot about what you've Never done!

15. Shhhhh, hes one of those THEM..... he mut be! Look at his avatar ;)