How many hours can I work and drive in a week?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Praetor, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I have a bit of a bone question, but I was wondering, how many hours am I allowed to work and drive in a given period, say a week? What is the maximum number, for normal, non operational duties?

Many thanks

p.s. just to clarify, what I mean is if I work x amount f hours a week, does that affect how many hours I can drive?

If I say, work a 12 hour day for 5 days, which includes three hours of driving per day, am I still legal to drive on the sixth day?
  2. If your driving non HGV (LGV) you can drive 24 / 7 ?
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Two and a half.

Next question.
  4. Is this driving mil vehicles?

Are MoD vehicles no longer exempt from tacho laws?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crapatalk and a head dobber
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, but they are only allowed to drive for two and a half hours on an A road or one hour on any other road. Otherwise they hold everybody up and stick a spoke in the wheels of progress. It's the law.
  6. If the CO signs you off to be exempt they are (ie 'operational necessity'/'needs of the Army').

You normally have to keep driver's hours sheets on ex (well, my last couple of postings did) and they tried to avoid the old 'keep you awake for three weeks then make you convoy drive 250 miles' where they could.

For a normal work week then you come under the same driving laws as everyone else, including driver hours (so far as I know).