How Many Campaigns Medals and Claps in these images from 70 years?

I put together this video based on taking the first relevant image from a Google search for "British Soldier <<year >>" (1) What follows is an impression that might be gained of the British Army over 70 years.

Obviously my interest is in promoting a fund raising event. Our Patron, Lord Dannatt GCB CBE MC DL is going to be talking about "The British Army Then and Now” after a sandwich lunch 12.30-2.00pm 5th November 2014 Hosted by The Fusiliers Museum London in the Officer's Mess of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers HM Tower of London. https://www.justgiving.com/LordDannatt/

How many, and which medals and campaign clasps are represented by the images? I am asking our Hosts the Fusiliers Museum to give me a definitive answer, We might even award a prize for the first to send the right answer.

;)

1. OK I did have to rig a couple of searches to make sure a couple of things were included.but only two. I could not post a video including the last ten years without including a shot from Wooton Basset

2. The sound track has been updated to reflect the feedback received.

Last edited:
Hong Kong and BAOR? That'll be the...

D

Deleted 60082

Music is dire............
Yep, tone down the music...it is dreadful!

Otherwise a worthy cause and an interesting and thought-provoking collection of images. Pretty Martial country, aren't we?

The appearance of the picture of Robert Nairac GC coincides with the 'murder mile' lyric of Oliver's Army.
Which seems wrong on a couple of levels.
Wasn't the song about how the British 'Empire' always got lower working-class lads (# 'One more widow, one less white n***er') to do its dirty work?

Last edited:
Given that some of the images could have been taken in Cyprus, Aden or by a bunch of re-enactors in a quarry - and given that the word 'soldier' is non-specific and includes booties, the total number of individual clasps and seperate medals (which may or may not have a clasp) awarded by the Crown to British personnel is as follows:

• SE Asia 1945-6 x 2
• Bomb & Mine Clearance 1945-46
• Bomb & Mine Clearance 1945-9
• Minesweeping 1945-51
• Bomb & Mine Clearance 1945-53
• Bomb & Mine Clearance Mediterranean
• Bomb & Mine Clearance 1945-56
• Palestine 1945-8 x 2
• Berlin Airlift
• Yangtze 1949
• Malaya x 2
• Kenya
• Canal Zone x 2
• Cyprus x 2
• Near East x 2
• Arabian Peninsula x 2
• Brunei x 2
• Borneo
• Radfan
• South Arabia
• Malay Peninsula
• Northern Ireland
• Dhofar
• Lebanon
• Mine Clearance Gulf of Suez
• Gulf
• 2 Aug 1990
• 16 Jan-28 Feb 1991
• Kuwait
• N Iraq & S Turkey
• Air Operations Iraq
• Afghanistan
• DROC
• 19 Mar to 28 Apr 2003

TOTAL: 42

• Africa General Service Medal
• Naval General Service Medal 1915
• General Service Medal 1918
• Korea Medal
• General Service Medal 1962
• Rhodesia Medal
• South Atlantic Medal
• Gulf Medal
• Operational Service Medal x 3
• Iraq Medal
• Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal
• Civilian Service Medal Afghanistan

TOTAL: 14

The above, of course, doesn't take into account UN and NATO tours/ops and foreign awards awarded to seconded staff e.g. Oman.

The appearance of the picture of Robert Nairac GC coincides with the 'murder mile' lyric of Oliver's Army.
Which seems wrong on a couple of levels.
Wasn't the song about how the British 'Empire' always got lower working-class lads ('little white niggers') to do its dirty work?
Valid comment. Never listened to the significance of the lyrics much - I just remember singing the chorus in the back of a 4 tonner in 1979. I'll change the music. Wait out

Music much better. I might be wrong but the 1980 pic looks like it was taken at the same time as the 1972 one- I'm pretty sure blokes weren't fixing swords (bayonets to heathens) in NI as late as 1980.
You know the Iranian embassy siege happened in 1980? Might not have spawned a campaign medal but it did launch a thousand balcony fantasies...

Last edited:
Music much better. I might be wrong but the 1980 pic looks like it was taken at the same time as the 1972 one- I'm pretty sure blokes weren't fixing swords (bayonets to heathens) in NI as late as 1980.
You know the Iranian embassy siege happened in 1980? Might not have spawned a campaign medal but it did launch a thousand balcony fantasies...

Well spotted. The image is the highest ranked image shown in Google under "British Soldier 1980" It is from 1969 and appeared on a website called vintage everyday. http://www.vintag.es/2013/10/black-white-photos-of-belfast-before.html "Black & White Photos of Belfast before 1980's" - the 1969 image is the iconic historic image.

Johned

Old-Salt
Dunno if Brixmis geezers got an award but I reckon they should have done being at the really sharp end they were; that's just my opinion.

Latest Threads