How Low can you go?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following headlines like this:

Army to shrink to smallest size since Boer war while reservists' role bolstered
    • Regulars to fall from 100,000 to 84,000 after 2014
    • £1.5bn earmarked to beef up reserves and fund equipment

What is the irreduciable minimum number of personnel in the Regular Army?

2. One Army Cadet and a stick with some nails in it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. That would all depend on what you want them to do in the future!

Absolute minimum.....I'd say the number of people it takes to guard Buckingham Palace.

4. They should be careful. if they keep this up, they'll lose that carefully cultivated public image of being the military's top bezzers.

They'll shout to all and sundry across the commons that there are not enough helicopters when in opposition, then when it's down to them theres no bloody people, a single aircraft carrier with no jets and budget, bargain basement replacements when kit does need replacing.

It's all well and good blaming the state of public finances, but this goes beyond that and its very bad news....

5. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Who would want to be in the Royal Platoon of UKShire anyway?

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What do we need the Armed Forces for anyway? After all it is not as if we ever take aggressive action and we all know that the whole world just loves the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  7. To get dragged into the latest quagmire that America starts!

8. Historically, the UK has always maintained a very small standing army.

9. But a strong Navy

10. I think that the position of the conservatives being the natural party of the armed forces vapourised last year with the SDSR, not that I see this particular government as being in any way conservative.
    However, its easy to forget that the previous government made rock solid commitments to purchase some equipment (carriers etc) with very damaging cancellation clauses, along with total mismanagement of the MOD procurement system. If you are looking for someone to blame it all goes back to a certain G Brown MP.

11. When was the last time the Tories actually were "the natural party of the armed forces "? As I joined it was Options for Change making the headlines, under a Tory government, and they didn't have the excuse of following a Lab "scorched earth" seeing as they had been in Gov for 11 years by then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I think that you'll find that the notion that the tories are the natural party of the armed forces vapourised in 1981.

Just before the Argentinians decided that Las Islas Malvinas would look really nice as theirs on a re-drawn map of the South Atlantic.

Some lessons are never learned.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Now lets sit back and wait to see how much TA shrinks .Most of em are only weekend warrior.Not to denigrate the ex regular who join

14. The TA is due be expanded.

15. Other than the US Navy, name another that could defeat the RN in a full on, knock down, drag out fight.