How long will it take the Army to build bridges in Cumbria?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do we have any experts on line. Does the Army have enough bridges and how long will it take?

2. Would be surprised if they actually build bridges but using M3 bridges must be a possibility.

Saw what I took to be RE types on Sky news this morning so would not be surprised to see a few going up shortly.

3. What can a M3 bridge span and how long will it take to get the county on the move again with what I understand is the need for five bridges so far? Do we have any experts on Arrse?

4. 'Army bridges' went up quickly enough during (obviously) and after the Second German War.

In those days of course we did not have a moncular lump of canine excrement in charge of the country and the country's finances.

I cannot imagine there are enough Royal Engineers kicking their heels at the moment to build bridges 'willy-nilly'. The TA could be asked nicely to help - oops! sorry, I forgot the TA has been kicked into touch by the monocular oaf referred to above.

5. Not an expert by any means, but this came up in google..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Amphibious_Rig

6. Give the job to the Gurkha Engineers and it will be done in half the time.

7. Well there were guys out doing LSB recces at the weekend. I'm not sure what holdings we have of M3 rigs here in the UK and the only amph Sqn is in Germany. Not knowing the spans etc it's difficult to say but it's safe to say at least a day a bridge.

8. It will depend on the priorities, also what they have in MOB stores, they used to have a number of Bailey bridges in mothballs for civvie emergencies but I doubt they have enough to cover all the bridges that have collapsed, they will also need pier sets for the larger spans plus class 60 trackway, or they will have to lay temporary road surface to the bridge itself. Also they may need one bridge per carriageway rather than 1 bridge to replace each bridge(if you know what I mean).

The main problem will be finding a piece of bank that will take the Bank seat beams that won't actually crumble or is stable enough to take the weight and it could mean constructing concrete bankseats to take the weight. Also these bridge will need to be in place for months and not hours so I can't see them using the M3 as that couldn't take the constant traffic flow for many months I believe.

9. Google? What's wrong with using the Staff Officers' Handbook? Sounds like somebody is going to be doing a good MACC estimate...

10. Luckily, a fair number of the collapsed bridges are foot bridges. The main road bridges are the two that have split Workington in half causing a 20 mile detour.

11. There must still be stacks of old "Bailley" stuff knocking around for some bridging to be done//. :? :? :?

12. Bullsh1t.

13. If the Engineers don't have any bridges available here to do the job, you can be pretty sure the press will be all over it like a rash. :( Lets hope they have plenty or have a good plan B if needed.

14. The problem you have is time a bailey bridge of a reasonable size can be constructed in a day and MGB in a couple of hours. The problem you have here is the need for bridges that will take constant traffic for a number of months and this will lead it to the bailey bridge being the bridge of choice. Although to get traffic moving they may opt for a short term solution. There is also the option of HGOB bridges that allow the spanning of weak points on bridges or roads and may give another short term solution.

The bailey bridge is very heavy and with they will have to put in at least 1 pier per span to get across the larger gaps, the bottom of the river will need to be surveyed to see if it can take the weight of a pier for a long period of time also the weight class of the bridge will need to be assessed and it may mean a limited traffic flow and may mean no HGV's over a certain tonnage.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats assuming we have any kit left, most has probably been flogged through DSA at Withams. I sent our bridge engineers there in 2000 for some temp trackway and MGB bits for emergency supplies.