How long til NAAFI disaster in Germany is in limelight?

Is PAYD in Germany a success?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
To all suffereing the consequencs of Pay As You Dine (Save As You Starve) in Germany, how long do you think it will take until the NAAFI is called to account for their discraceful performance? Also, when are they going to lose the monopoly on German bases? I thought the fair trade commission was supposed to stop this from happening? Or you can just post you PAYD horror stories!

Wait til they bring JPA in, you'll be hungry and skint. At least we're not paying tax on ops anymore though, that makes up for it :roll:

Well well well..... looks like my lifestyle is the winner.

I live in the block and rarely go to scoff cos its shiiite!

Sainsburys and waitrose I call home buy my own food on top of food charges - I wish I had payd, at least i wouldnt have top pay for the poo in the cookhouse then!

NAAFI have the contract for PAYD, they provide crap food in the cookhouse, then crank up the prices in the NAAFI supermarket so we get hammered there. They are the only people that are allowed to sell food in the camps, so the prices, which are VAT free still cost more than an average UK shop. We don't have the option to go to Waitrose or Sainsburys. Everybody cooks in their rooms (steamers, toasters or George Formby Grills,) orders out or hits MacDonalds, five minutes drive away. The idea of a healthy, balanced diet (before PAYD we had an excellent cookhouse) has gone out of the window and junk food is king.

Blimey. Never knew about any of that, so what happend to RLC catering (what was the ACC)? Have they farmed them off somewhere?

wee_face said:
NAAFI have the contract for PAYD, they provide crap food in the cookhouse, then crank up the prices in the NAAFI supermarket so we get hammered there. They are the only people that are allowed to sell food in the camps, so the prices, which are VAT free still cost more than an average UK shop. We don't have the option to go to Waitrose or Sainsburys. Everybody cooks in their rooms (steamers, toasters or George Formby Grills,) orders out or hits MacDonalds, five minutes drive away. The idea of a healthy, balanced diet (before PAYD we had an excellent cookhouse) has gone out of the window and junk food is king.
So whats up, will the cashiers in Real/ALdi/Kaisers/etc etc fcuking eat you if you go shopping in a German shop or something.

If you can make it to McDs then you can go shopping in a German supermarket. FFS they sell exactly the same stuff as Tescos.
If you can't read the labels then look at the pretty pictures on them.

PatheticwhiningNIGsgetrightonmyt1tsmuttermuttermumblefcukinglazywank......

Recently posted out of Germany and not a believer. No one should underestimate the scope and impact of PAYD on the military community. NAAFI’s monopoly on the provision of grub behind the wire extends to the forced closure of time-honoured competition such as YWCA/TOC-H/PMC(for JHQ warriors). Phase 2 of the operation: reduce choice and increase prices in the NAAFI.

Steven said:
wee_face said:
I think you are missing the point here. We should be able to get a good deal on our food in our own cookhouse. If you think that a liver in should be forced to cook in his room or eat in town because the deal he gets in his own cookhouse is carp then you need to screw you head on the right way.

Let me guess, you are a pad, or not on PAYD. If you had experience of it (1.5 years) you would not scoff.

Double post for some reason :?

Steven said:
wee_face said:
I think you are missing the point here. We should be able to get a good deal on our food in our own cookhouse. If you think that a liver in should be forced to cook in his room or eat in town because the deal he gets in his own cookhouse is carp then you need to screw you head on the right way.

Let me guess, you are a pad, or not on PAYD. If you had experience of it (1.5 years) you would not scoff.
[/quote]

I am not only not a pad I am not even wearing green anymore :) but I did have experience of the system before I saw the light and got out.

I agree that PAYD is a disaster but that was what you asked for, well maybe not you exactly but the majority of singlies.
But whineing that Naafi sell crap food at high prices so you go out to McDs and don't even fcuking TRY to buy some decent food in the local shops is what gets on my t1ts.[/quote]

Its is rather shoite. Its swinging back towards the daft days of only 1 sausage 1 party hat and 1 cracker between 2. Bring back RLC chefs. Sorry we called you fat over weight lazy sloppo gits. It was all a joke!

I support the basic idea of PAYD - paying for meals yu don't eat is an absurdity and something lots of people have wanted to change for a long time. What they didn't want, however, was one contractor being given a monopoly, or that the only people involved are those who have been responsible for dire contract catering previously.

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
jack-daniels said:
Blimey. Never knew about any of that, so what happend to RLC catering (what was the ACC)? Have they farmed them off somewhere?
RLC chefs effectively belong to the firm supplying PAYD to a camp. Works like this:

X number of hours per year are reserved for military training (this includes exercises), duties etc etc. The rest of the time the chef belongs to the firm (still wears green kit, answers to mil CoC etc but works in and for a cookhouse being run by a civvy firm.

Not sure what happens when chef deploys - possible breach of contract? - but things like sub-unit smokers "and we'll get the Master Chef to do a BBQ for the lads" may be a bit more difficult as this may breach the number of hours on mil activity for the chef and may breach PAYD contract (soldiers going to BBQ not to cookhouse).

wee_face said:
To all suffereing the consequencs of Pay As You Dine (Save As You Starve) in Germany, how long do you think it will take until the NAAFI is called to account for their discraceful performance? Also, when are they going to lose the monopoly on German bases? I thought the fair trade commission was supposed to stop this from happening? Or you can just post you PAYD horror stories!
The only sites that are currently "live" are Elmpt, Fally and Hohne. I know for a fact that the amount of negative feedback NAAFI and the Authority get from the guys is minimal. That's not to say things are fantastic though, it just means that feedback is not forthcoming in the correct manor ie Messing Meetings, Comment and Suggestion Books etc etc.

Having chaired a number of Messing Meetings in my career I can honestly say that had I not prompted the guys with loaded suggestions (so that the QM could hear) then they would have sat, drank the tea, ate the biscuits and gone back to work having achieved squat.

Units need to keep comments books in the the Sqn, Coy etc offices so that the lads can detail problems which can be taken to monthly meetings. In my old unit every sensible complaint or sugestion was copied to the QM, and the RCWO followed up all complaints and wrote back to the individual with an answer to the problem.

What are the common problems people experience? Please don't just say the food is shite, it's not.....It could however be:

a. Cold
b. Badly presented
c. Lacking taste - too much seasoning
d. Dried up
e. Greasy
f. Over or Undercooked
g. Unfriendly service
h. Staff incorrectly dressed -- no hats, aprons etc
i. lack of portions

If the customer service is poor then specify with dates and names if necessary (that's why they have name badges). Not on this board though :D

Various points:

Mil chefs are generally classed as Core Catering Manpower i.e that which is required to sustain ops/ex. This manpower can either work in traditional mil kitchens or attached to a contractor to carry out a specific role.

Colchester Garrison is not PAYD but does employ a contractor to deliver food services in the Merville Barracks messes. No real reports yet of poor food but there is a mechanism to put right poor service - report it. Reports flow from (normally QMs) onto a Helpdesk/DBase system and monitored by a mil team. Contractor only gets fully paid if the food is available at the right time, in the right quantity, in the right place and to the right standard. If not, financial deductions kick in.

Must be something similar in BAOR PAYD locations. Hammer the contractor if he is not delivering by reporting it through the agreed reporting mechanism.

PAM

pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Hammer the contractor if he is not delivering by reporting ity through the agreed reporting mechanism.

PAM
Absolutely, a whinge goes in one ear and out the other. A complaint on paper is documented and requires response

wee_face said:
So the NAAFI have forced places like Bruggen's (Javelin Bks) Chicken Inn & the Malcombe Club (which was ran by some Kraut's who worked in the JR's mess )to close.That was good scoff that was! Bet the schnellie outside the main gate get's ahammering then!
Sound's like the NAAFI are getting too greedy & have forgot that they were originally set up to provide for the needs of the Serviceman,not to make a huge profit of the backs f the same servicemen! :x

Latest Threads