How long left?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MrTracey, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Good! - bring it on

2. So? - bring it on at least once

3. And? - what did you expect?

4. Thank God!

5. Not for me....

6. Not yet or maybe not ever...

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right - I've pondered the impact of the Reserves Review, the ongoing demands for IRs, the confirmed intention to increase the number of TA mobilised from 1200 p.a. to 2000 p.a. from next year, the changes to basic training (TSC A and B), the RTCs, the absence of TA YOs etc etc etc bl**dy etc and I have come to the conclusion that the TA as was is no more.

'good' some might say - this is all about going to sandy places and then leaving.

'so?' some others might say - this is all about going to some sandy places and then staying on for a bit.

'and?' others might say - it's been on the cards for years and I don't want much of a civilian career anyway.

'thank God' a few will say - how else am I to get away from the wife/kids/crap job?

'not for me' some might say and quietly hang up their boots

'not yet/ever' the remainder will say - hoping to carry on adding value but not able to deploy

which are you?
  2. How long left?

For the TA or for me?

or both?

Nice question.....
  3. msr

msr LE

Good for you. At least you have had the chance....

If there is a textbook example of how not to conduct a review by f**king up your timelines this is it.

5 Months to generate a report which could have been compiled in a week, the one week for those lucky(?) enough to have been given a draft to review and comment.

Think Pieces classified as restricted, so they cannot be email and discussed, let alone posted here.

It's a farce from top to bottom. (See what I did there?)

I am personally glad that I had nothing to do with it, so can freely criticise whatever comes out next year.

Bitter? You betcha. Interested? I have some paint drying on the wall.... You forgot to add an option: Who gives a toss.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

ok then, what about;

"so then, no change at at all for many, but the gravy train might end for a few".

Not on your list? I wonder why not?

Ding, ding! Anyone hear a train pulling out of a station?
  5. ouch!

There's always a few that take the p*ss in any organisation, military or civilian but I always find that they get their come uppence in the end. They wouldn't answer a poll anyway.

You could, if you were so inclined, suggest that those joining simply to mobilise via the regular short cut that is the TA, with absolutely no intention of giving anything back to the inherently voluntary organisation they joined and benefited from, are equally disingenuous.

6. Changes blah blah blah ... who cares. Fcuk them. All of them. Up the hoop with a rusty bayonet.

Now me, I'm going to keep turning up until the fun meter (*) pegs at zero for long enough to make me break the habit of the last two decades. It's nowhere near that yet. I'm going to keep up my trade skills, bring the juniors along, try and provide something that may be construed as leadership and generally aim to leave the Coy better than when I arrived. (So far it's just smaller but I don't think that's all down to me, my opinions on Annual Camp notwithstanding.) If the brown envelope arrives then I'll be off on a free holiday, if not then I'll carry on normal jogging.

As far as I'm concerned the TA belongs to the Volunteers, not these regs who parachute in and out every two years. The TA is only dead when we stop contributing to it.

Besides, the assumptions that many are basing their plans on will change - and such changes are usually quick. Best to have a backup plan. Units that have transitioned to a gap year factory for IRs are going have issues if their target audience start to shift to the regs as the economy worsens and requirements for bodies reduce. It might not look likely now but on Sept 10th 2001 any posting stating we'd all be off in the sandpit would have looked equally unlikely.

(*) Not fun as in balloons and party hats, fun as in worthwhile and rewarding as a whole.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I have never seen anything laid down that requires junior soldiers to give anything back. Officers and NCOs, yes.

People complain about the join, do a tour, then leave mentality. I doubt the numbers are dramatically different from the "join, have fun for a few years then leave" pattern which has been the case for the TA for years.

What was the oft quoted figure? 1/3 turnover per year, average TA soldier serves for around 3 years? The only real difference is that some now manage to get a deployment within that period, and give a measurable VFM return, rather than the harder to quantify "reserve" VFM element.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The regs is no different, join deploy and leave if not enjoying it, until we mobilise for a real war then that will be the options open to everyone. By real war I mean as in 1939-45 when the nation stood at the brink of destruction and not princess Tonys phoney excuses to play with Brendas Soldiers.
  9. TA strength approx 30,000. 1200 mobilised p.a, on average 1 tour every 25 years.

2000 mobilised p.a, an average of 1 tour every 15 years.

How many enablers does the TA have?

What am I missing from these figures? Genuine question not a trolling attempt.
  10. msr

msr LE

Approx 1/3 not sufficiently trained and 1/3 not effective (aka dead wood).

11. Cheers, so one every 8 to one every 5 years on average. It would be nice to be able to bin the dead wood and spend the money elsewhere.
  12. msr

msr LE

Actually the dead wood works in our favour, as they do not cost anything (significant) to have on the books and if they are not using their MTDs, then they can be given to the others who would like to do more training.

Don't forget, the TA was never designed nor configured to support enduring ops. The fact that we can and do is because of the type of organisation and people that we are. Would you like to be heaved into civvy street for 1 year in every five that you serve? Thought not.

Additionally we are having recruiting problems too. Bin the dead wood and the TA would look very thin indeed.

P.S. All stats off the back of my fag packet....
  13. Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by dead wood. I had assumed you meant people who neither planned to deploy unless dragged kicking and screaming nor assisted in training/admin side of life, e.g those doing the bare minimum to collect a bounty.

As for being punted into civvy street, I'm sure there would be pros and cons. I would miss my dirt cheap cost of living but I may be able to make some plans in my private life. Doubt it would do the career path much good but then that's a pitfall for the TA too.

As for the configuration of the TA, you may want to get used to supporting enduring ops :D .
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It aint what it used to be but then nothing is!
  15. msr

msr LE

They are bounty hunters.

Not really. The priorities are Family -> Work -> TA. If the TA starts to affect the first you, then people leave.

I am not convinced we can. See all sort of other threads about this, but the more you turn the TA into a conveyor belt throwing junior soldiers into the gap maw of the regular army, the less attractive it becomes.