How long is a TA mobilisation generally for?

Hi - I was in a TA Infantry unit in a previous life - I was never mobilised. I am about to rejoin, as its been so long I have to start from scratch as a recruit again, so am looking at something more suited to my senior years (36), the RLC looks like a good option.
However - I am just wondering - if I am mobilised, which seems more likely these days than it was before I left (2000) - how long would that last for - how long is the tour itself, the pre and post deployment stuff?
Cheers

Shandy

B

bokkatankie

Generally, TA mobilisation lasts as long as the mobilisation period, this includes pre and post tour stuff.

Generally, TA mobilisation lasts as long as the mobilisation period, this includes pre and post tour stuff.
thanks - that's really usefull!

Yeah your looking at about a year off work with your predeployment training, tour,and potol

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
10 - 11 months is common enough. For others, some Infantry roles, for example, can be a few months longer. The RMR routinely mobilise for over a year, to allow full PDT.

How long did you expect?
I guessed at a 6 month tour, preceded and followed by a month, but I have no experience of RLC, and only old experience of TA generally, so I thought it might differ for support roles one way or the other?

Having done two tours in the last two years, Each including POTL and remaining A/L has been over 12 months. Each has required extensions to the mobilised service from my employer the second time my employer blocked the extension which after much wrangling was overturned. Other TA personnel who mobilised for the same tour have done nearly 15 months all told.

I'm in the same boat... I'm nearly finished POTL for my most recent mob... hitting the 14 month mark here and the previous was a solid 12 maybe 13 months...

i feel i should point out... its not generally the done thing to call people up (as far as I know). you volunteer for tours these days... so if you don't want to mobilise (which defeats the purpose of joining) then dont volunteer...

Having done two tours in the last two years, Each including POTL and remaining A/L has been over 12 months. Each has required extensions to the mobilised service from my employer the second time my employer blocked the extension which after much wrangling was overturned. Other TA personnel who mobilised for the same tour have done nearly 15 months all told.
same here. had heard that they were going to raise the 12month cap to 15months but this may have just been the usual rumours.

Hmm - and do you still get the job protection if you volunteer, rather than are called-up?

you will still get the job protection. also the letter you get through the post looks the same whether you volunteer or not (it still says "compulsary mobilisation").

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
you will still get the job protection. also the letter you get through the post looks the same whether you volunteer or not (it still says "compulsary mobilisation").
Oh dear, where to start? Firstly, ALL Army Reservist / TA mobilisations (not so for a few RAFVR ones...) are compulsory. It's just that you make it known that you are available for mobilisation first - that's where the 'voluntary' bit comes in. After that, it's compulsory - if it were not, then employment protection would not apply. Do not rely on the job protection too much though. It is fairly limited, and given that you are volunteering to be compulsorily mobilised in the first place, if push came to shove in an employment tribunal you may find things going against you. Far, far safer to ensure that you are either unemployed, or that your employer is happy (happy-ish, then) to lose you for a year.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, good plan! It's always surprising though how many blokes still manage to get away with the 'compulsory' angle - even to their wives - who you'd like to think would be a bit more switched-on :)

Well that's something then - I recieved a letter asking me to mobilise for Bosnia, back in the 90s, but the company I worked for said 'is it compulsory?, no? then no way' kind of thing, so I didn't put myself forward. I now teach in a secondary school, and the Local Authority rules on special leave says 'special leave with pay will be granted in times of conflict and where there are shortages of staff within the armed forces and they are called up. The Council will continue to pay the employee's wages...'
So I think if it is an official call-up, I'll be fine.
Just need to approach them now and broach the subject of my re-enlisting in the autumn...