How long from handing in application to attending AOSB main board? and tests at AOSB

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Ric, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ric

Ric Swinger

I just wanted to ask how long some people took from the moment they handed in their initial application form, to the day they attended AOSB.

The Major I spoke to at the careers office stated it could take as little as 3 months (with no hiccups) to know whether I was good enough to attend Sandhurst (or not). Is this a normal time frame, or do most people take longer.

I really want to know as I have an interview for the Japanese Exchange and Teaching programme on the 26th Jan, if successful I could be going to Japan in July/August. My application will be handed in (personally) on the 21st of Jan, will I have enough time?

Finally, another poster on these forums said that there was literature questions on the general knowledge test at AOSB. It is a little worrying because, although I have read a lot of books, they have mainly been factual or fantasy with very few classical pieces of work.
  2. When he says 'good enough to attend sandhurst' he could be referring to the briefing. From handing in my application to attending my Briefing it was four months, then around a three month wait until i can take Main Board. I had no paperwork issues getting to the briefing and still took me four months.

I would expect it to take a minimum of 2 months to get to your briefing, then even if you get a Cat 1, there is around a 10-12 week wait due to main boards being booked up.
  3. You should also consider the posibility of paperwork dificulties. I handed my paperwork in, and heard nothing back. I ended up going back to the office twice, to try and sort it out. Finally it was put through, and I heard back about 2 weeks after that. So that was 4 to 5 weeks of no progress. Then I was advised to attend an insight day (I believe they are almost always recommended now), for which I had to wait 3 months.

So you might get to the selection board within a matter of 3 months, it might be a lot longer.
  4. It all depends on how switched on your ACA is. I have a friend who is still waiting for a Main Board date when we both sat Briefing at the same time. I had my date confirmed within 2 weeks! Let's hope yours is switched on.

Mine went like this:

Initial application submitted: 10 May 2011
    Medical records submitted to Westbury: 20 June 2011
    Initial Interview: 17 August 2011
    AOSB Briefing: 5-6 November 2011
    AOSB Main Board: 28 Feb - 2 March 2012
    Realistic start date at RMAS (should I be successful): January 2013

Hope this helps.
  5. Have medical records always been sent down prior to the medical examination? Seems like a rather strange way to do things considering actual circumstances can differ greatly from medical records.

6. How is it strange? Surely the doctor wants a chance to look at them prior to seeing you?
  7. Correct. If, for example, you had a condition that was an automatic bar from joining, then it would be a wasted journey down to Westbury for you and for everyone else. All you have to do is fill in the form and then get your GP to sign it off for you. They fill out the medical jargon and then send it Westbury on your behalf.

If you have not heard anything within 2 weeks from when you hand it to your GP, chase them up as some can be quite slack in sending it on.
  8. Thinking about it, it does make sense. However in the extreme, candidates that are entirely capable in reality are turned down because of out of date medical files. No, i'm not talking about asthma.

9. You are going to need to be a bit more specific on this.....
  10. How are their medical files out of date? You still get an interview but I expect they would go along with the facts as written by other doctors
  11. Guess i'll just quieten down, i'm not familiar with the medical process so i'll not bother theory crafting.