How long does Security Clearance last for?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by uk_numpty, Jan 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a civy with the MoD attached to an Army Regiment.
    How long does SC normally last for?

2. 10 years

3. Good question. Took me ages to find the answer.

The expiry date for SC clearance will be shown on the certificate you get from the Defence Vetting Agency. Last time I had it done, it lasted for 5 years.

However, if you stop working in a job for which SC clearance is required, it expires after one year, regardless of what your certificate says.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

That assumes you ever get to see the certificate, I've been vetted 6 times so far and never seen the cert (always been held by the security dept. who are tighter than a tight thing in tightland)

I think the time period can be lower, I think they do shorter ones for the young guys (under 21?) and DV is 5 years I think rather than 10 (I know he aked for SC but thought i'd add the info.)

S_R

5. mine is ten years, never got to see any cert, but had to get it printed off jpa and expiry date was 10 years from clearance.

6. Possibly mine was only 5 years because I listed my hobbies and interests as Halal cookery, Jihad and the restoration of the Caliphate. Those vetting guys have no sense of humour!

Does anybody know what they actually check for on SC? Presumably criminal record and credit checks. If they include the sex offenders register and alcoholics anonymous membership lists, I may never get cleared again, even though I swear my trousers fell down accidentally as I was passing that primary school. My belt broke. Honest.

7. never had a cert either but was told it ends the day you leave the army, even if you have years left until it is due to be re-done.

8. IIRC you are able to claim your vetting up to 12 months after you have left the army, provided you are going to be working in the UK Defence sector. The security department of your prospective employer should handle the transaction with DVA.

9. Def 10 years, However, they won't tell you when it expires?...mad I know!

If you have to re-apply after expired, takes up to 6 weeks to action.

10. Not a question that is easy to answer. It may well depend on the job you are moving to. Some jobs take no account of the vetting you received in the military and will start again from scratch and conduct their own checks.
    If you are asking with regards to getting a new job, check with them what they require.

11. 10 years. But you get an extra 2 nowadays in the CS for completing your ´Minorities and Transgendered Freaks Awareness course, Business Mismanagement Course, Utter Buffoon Course etc.

12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

10 years for us.
    Depends on other factors though, such as what you are going to be exposed to, if its DV'd and crap like that.

13. If you're not sure, and are on JPA, it's listed under your "competencies", at least, mine is, and it does indeed show an expiry date 10 yrs from the issue date.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bloders is on the money, thats how i found mine out. if you work for the mod then a 2 minute phone call to the dva will confirm wether clearance is held and a run out date. simples

15. Does anybody know what they actually check for on SC? Presumably criminal record and credit checks. If they include the sex offenders register and alcoholics anonymous membership lists, I may never get cleared again, even though I swear my trousers fell down accidentally as I was passing that primary school. My belt broke. Honest..

Ref this question...Years ago it was very simple. Vetting simply checked for evidence of the 4 B's. Boozing, Betting, Bitching and Boys.