How long does Reserve training take

Hi, I have just started the joining process for the reserves for my gap year and time at uni as a soldier, I understand the whole phase 1 and alpha and bravo training bits but how long will the whole process take. Would it take me a whole year until I'm a soldier or can I basically do the courses back to back and as soon as possible meaning the process would be a lot shorter? Thanks

Others may be able to advise you better but we warned that it could take a whole year just to enlist.

Well done for submitting your application though ;-)

I attested a month and a half after I applied. My unit said that was unusual. Once that done it just depends when you can fit the training in. It's very flexible so just depends when you can get the free time.

Try to get a Spring/Summer Challenge in, which takes you through all the courses you need back to back. It is a much better system and gives you better immersion and often is run with Regular Directing Staff.

Last edited:
You'll hopefully be briefed on this when you visit your unit and I thought I mentioned this on your other thread but here goes;

Ph1a can be done over 4 x weekends or a week-long course
Ph1b is 2 weeks

They can be done back to back in a oner.

However, before you get there you have to do
1. online questionnaires
2. an interview
3. a medical
4. selection centre (2 days)
5. pre-employment checks
6. attest.

The question should be how sh1t hot is your admin as that is what will have the greatest impact on speed through the system.

Never say 'yes' when asked to sanity check other peoples' powerpoints is another takeaway from this.

Hi, I have just started the joining process for the reserves for my gap year and time at uni as a soldier, I understand the whole phase 1 and alpha and bravo training bits but how long will the whole process take. Would it take me a whole year until I'm a soldier or can I basically do the courses back to back and as soon as possible meaning the process would be a lot shorter? Thanks
OOB,

It may be a good idea to post-up your intended/preferred cap badge as the advice can then be a bit more bespoke to your requirement.

All the best,

R

I attested in November and finished CIC the following July. I would have finished sooner hut I went n holiday for a couple of months in between carders. If you have time available and your unit is efficient you can get it done quick.