How long does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Hi all,

Going to be joining up hopefully, been working down the gym now for a couple of months and can say that my mile and half times on the treadmill have come down alot.

The question i'm asking is though, from going into the Army Careers Office for first interview how long does it take to get to Pirbright? I'm thinking of joining Para's however I know my mile and half time isn't upto scratch for the para's but I don't want to train 6 months to get to the standard and then have to wait another 6 months before I actually get to Pirbright.

I could pass the normal infantry mile and half time, would you recommend that I go to the Careers Office in January and get the ball rolling or wait until I can successfully do the mile and half in 9:40?

Cheers.
 
#3
whats your 1.5 at the moment then? id get up there tomoz if I were you, although they close for xmas on thursday and open early jan again. I applied 6 weeks ago and am still waiting on my med forms to come back so imo get the ball rolling! you can turn your fitness around 180 in a matter of weeks. just be careful not to over train but like you said youve already been training

good luck
 
#4
Para's train in Catterick not Pirbright, as for time, me getting to Pirbright will have taken 16 months minus 4 for medical deferment, 2 months for doctor losing medical forms and 4 months for there not being any course openings till April, so about 6 months if all goes well.
 
#6
signmeup said:
The question i'm asking is though, from going into the Army Careers Office for first interview how long does it take to get to Pirbright? I'm thinking of joining Para's however I know my mile and half time isn't upto scratch for the para's but I don't want to train 6 months to get to the standard and then have to wait another 6 months before I actually get to Pirbright.
my bold
 
R

Red_Troop

Guest
#7
signmeup said:
Hi all,

Going to be joining up hopefully, been working down the gym now for a couple of months and can say that my mile and half times on the treadmill have come down alot.

The question i'm asking is though, from going into the Army Careers Office for first interview how long does it take to get to Pirbright? I'm thinking of joining Para's however I know my mile and half time isn't upto scratch for the para's but I don't want to train 6 months to get to the standard and then have to wait another 6 months before I actually get to Pirbright.

I could pass the normal infantry mile and half time, would you recommend that I go to the Careers Office in January and get the ball rolling or wait until I can successfully do the mile and half in 9:40?

Cheers.
Maybe your not right for the Paras then. I'm sure if you wanted to be in the Paras that much then you wouldn't mind waiting the extra time it takes to get to the right fitness level.
 
#8
I started my application in September, just been told my start dat will be the end of Feb, I'm going for the Paras aswell.

So 6 months, it's a long time & patience is definitly a virtue
 
#11
It's taken me 6months, its quite a lengthy process. One piece of advice i can give that might help u, get you're med documents from ACO and take them to the doctor yourself then take them back to the ACO ...saves them being lost and the doctor taking ages to fill out / send off, i sat and watched my doctor fill them out saved me quite alot of time
 
#12
yea i'd say the same thing as well, get the documents from the doc, after he has filled them, and take them off yur self, saves yu alot of time, so yu kn where it is, and how long it's goin tk yu get...
 
#13
Its taken me since the start of last november 2007, only found out 2-3 weeks ago my date to start basic training in Catterick.
Cant wait now though :D
 
#14
to be honest i started mine like early this year i think, so i cud say jus a couple of months, basically almost a yr tho...cos i start basic in feb...so i mean not far from yurs init, yu cant put a specific length on these things yu kn...
 
#15
I applied in June of this year. Got deferred for 2 years, it's now been cleared..... i did selection on the 18th of november.....and start basic for para's at Harrogate on the 4th of Jan, doing my oath tomorrow. :D
 
#16
I applied in May and got defered (medical) until i'd met my conditions. So thats 7 months so far and i still havn't got as far as selection. I'm re-applying first thing January :D
 
#17
but I don't want to train 6 months to get to the standard and then have to wait another 6 months before I actually get to Pirbright.
. . . there

selection is at pirbright, I think the guy knows the paras dont get trained there . . .
 
#18
smileycat said:
I applied in May and got defered (medical) until i'd met my conditions. So thats 7 months so far and i still havn't got as far as selection. I'm re-applying first thing January :D
i think your next stage wud be selection though. have you met with yur ACO, or yu jus want the holidays to be over before yu apply. its usually a 3 weeks wait for litchfield i think.
 
#19
Thanks to all that replied.

Many were helpful, I think I'll be giving the Careers Office a call and find out when they're open until. I know contactfront said Thursday but I'll just double check for peace of mind. If they aren't open I'll go to them early January.

Many of you said that The Para's dont' train at Pirbright, I was actually referring to selection. The reference to Para's was due to the fact my time isn't upto Para standards.

I have been out on the road, and i'm 20 seconds slower on tarmac than I am on a machine. Running times are around the 11-11:30 minute mark.

Cheers for the help.
 
#20
janedoe said:
smileycat said:
I applied in May and got defered (medical) until i'd met my conditions. So thats 7 months so far and i still havn't got as far as selection. I'm re-applying first thing January :D
i think your next stage wud be selection though. have you met with yur ACO, or yu jus want the holidays to be over before yu apply. its usually a 3 weeks wait for litchfield i think.
I thought i may as wait to Jan now as i think its coming up to 6 months since i did the medical anyway so i'll have to re-do it and i didn't think the doctors would do it before Christmas and technically speaking i should wait until my stitches have come out before i re-apply. They still haven't and its nearly 4 weeks they'e been in there. Why is it everyone elses seem to fall out within 10-14 days (and the surgeon said that) like they are supose to but when it comes to me it takes twice as long :x .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Top