How long does it take to resign a Commission?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Rapier, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know how long and if it costs anything to resign a Commission? Due to personal family matters, my son is going to have to leave the Army after only just finishing his Troop Commanders course and starting his first posting. Does he have to pay back anything for the Sandhurst training etc? Any help gratefully received. Thanks

2. I imagine that things are roughly the same now as it was when I resigned my commission.

1. Before resigning you have to have served a minimum period, this period was 3 years in my time.
    2. If the Army has sponsored your son through University, the minimum period is 5 years.
    3. The notice period is 6 months, so in effect the earliest you can leave is 3 years and 6 months after commissioning.
    4. No money has to be paid back for training, but maybe for issued kit. (Tropical uniform for example, or uniform allowance).
    5. However, if there are pressing personal matters which your son has no control over, then all of the above maybe in some cases be waved.

If your son needs to get out ASAP, he should contact his CO/adjt. right away and get the ball rolling.

3. Thanks for the speedy response. He has been in the Army 23 months but only commissioned this year.

4. As far as I know, it is time after commissioning that counts in normal circumstances. for your son, it will depend on how dire the family situation is.

5. His wife has been refused permission to bring her children over from America. So basically he has to leave to be with his new family.

6. If he was a soldier, he would be told to deal with it. I can imagine the same reponse. I don't think there will be much sympathy with separation in the Army being the way it is....

7. Hi

Has your son considered speaking to his Chain of Command and maybe they can arrange a posting to the USA to relieve the present situation and thus giving him some room for manoeuvre. At times like this it may seem like leaving is his only option but it rarely is - sometimes one just needs to think outside the box.

if his unit is a good one they will consider the options and see if they can help. After all the Army has invested a lot in this young man would be a shame to see it all go to waste.

I am just saying the final solution may not be the only solution. If it is placing him under great strain then get him to contact the AWS - I thought they were crap until I used them and would commend them as an a option at times of great personal stress.

If he feels he is on his own then he should not and if he is then he should get the balls to ask for help, there are people there to help, AWS, ALS etc. they may even assist should he choose to appeal etc.

Hope it all works out for him either way.

Cheers

8. i presume children are from another relationship thus preventing kids from moving fom USA

9. Yes. The Ex husband was all for it until he had to sign the passports. Now he has decided not to. The US Court ruled it not in the kids best interest to move to the UK!

10. We had a female on our Tp Commanders Cse (a long time ago) who jacked the Army and the sytem kicked in very quickly and allowed her to leave quickly.

11. Which arm is it that he is in? If Signals then 214 have a det in Florida, or heading there soon and I imagine other arms have a small presence too. There's always a way to work things out.

12. I'd ask that : can he get an exchange posting to the US?

13. I agree that in the first place, and as a matter of urgency, he must speak to his OC, Adjt and CO. Openly and honestly. You never know what solutions can be found.

As a second train of though, without in any way questioning the strength or nature of his commitment to his new family, he must think through ALL the implications of his decision. What are his employment prospects in the States? Having fought so hard to pass out of Sandhurst, will he regret resigning as/when his marriage hits hard times? Six months or a year from now, would an appeal against the court ruling stand more chance of success if the step-father has shown commitment to his career as well as his family? Given the amount of separation that any young serviceman faces in the early part of his career, he must have already considered the potential impact of separation on his family. Whatever unit he is with, I guess that there must be an Op Tour on the horizon. Will his new family give him the freedom to get the satisfaction (pride and self-esteem) of one tour under his belt before he leaves?

14. Thanks guys, all good points which he will need to consider. He's RE. I'm with the 'Stick with a long distance relationship for the 3 years' school of thought. For the pride etc.

15. There is a three year time-bar following commissioning. However, there is provision to prematurely retire an officer up to 12 months after commissioning if the officer is in some way unsuited to commissioned service.

Your son needs to have a discussion with his CO / Adjutant, outline the problem and come up with a solution. He needs to be clear about whether he is looking for a way to look after his family responsibilities and stay in, or whether he needs a way out.