How long does it take to join the TA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Twice-the-man, Feb 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I have recently left the Infantry after 7 and a bit years and am looking to join my local TA infantry unit. Been down to see them, the clerk gave me a load of paperwork but when I asked how long the process would take, she replied it could take three months, four months and she even knew one ex-regular had to wait a year and a half for the papers to come from Glasgow.

As I am currently unemployed, I spoke to my old RCMO about the possibility of going back to the battalion, and he said he would have me back in within a week, back to the same rank, back in my old company. If it would take just a week to re-join the regular army, why so long to join the TA? Is the clerk talking gonads?

Appreciate any info as this set me back a bit as I was hoping to get cracking as soon as possible.

Cheers.

2. msr

msr LE

No, the clerk is probably about right.

The enlistment / re-enlistment process is insufferable.

On the other hand, I guess it is a sign of how desperate the regulars are getting.

msr

3. Thanks.

If I don't rejoin the regulars, I will still wait the time to join. But how many people who could be assets to the TA get threadders with the whole drawn-out affair and lose interest? Crazy.

4. msr

msr LE

Far too many, I suspect.

Hang in there.

Thank you for your patience.

msr

5. It will take you ages to get in the TA. The system is terrible, too many separate agencies involved.

The TA are equally as desparate as the Regulars for recruits, except the system works for the Regs.

PM me for further info.

From a threaders PSI.

6. Cheers mate, PM sent.

Can't wait to have to do the "Joe is happier than Mike so who is sadder?" BARB test again! I don't want to be an ex-reg spinning dits and giving it the big 'un but surely I shouldn't need to do a BARB test.

7. My clearance from Glasgow was recieved yesterday and I took all the paperwork in today.

Barb test next Monday (yes Barb test :roll: ), medical Tuesday night, hopefully attestation the following Tuesday. I presume thats when I will also be issued my kit. And then apparently I will "just slot right in" to the orbat.

One thing bothers me though: after being told from various respected sources that the process would take 3-4 months, why is it now plain sailing, all singing all dancing in a matter of weeks?

And I've never really asked at the TAC because I didn't want to sound like a merc but sod it there is a credit crunch on ; whats the crack with the bounty? I take it its paid a year after you sign up if you pass the mandatory requirements, and these being?

8. Do you not have to do a selection at ADSC before you can be attested? Or has that been waived because of your prior service?

9. I don't have to do it mate, only left the regular infantry a matter of weeks ago.

10. msr

msr LE

So look forward to £1580 tax free next April :)

msr

11. Thats fcuking steady as! Can't understand why more regulars don't give the TA a go. Nearly everybody I know who has ever left always keep rejoining at the back of their mind so if they ever wanted to go back it stops skill fade and blows the cobwebs out. And what are the statutory requirements for the bounty? I take it the 2-week camp is one, others being? At a guess = CFT, BPFA, APWT, ICFT etc etc and a number of weekends a year?

12. BARB test done on Wednesday, medical not next Tuesday, Tuesday after, attestation and kit issue Tuesday after. So, fingers crossed, my fear of 4-5 months is not an issue....or have I just spoken too soon?

13. Being that you have posted requests wanting to abuse fellow veterans on this site,........ I would not bother!! ...... You strange little man. :evil: :evil: :evil:

14. This from your info:

Web Site:
    My Occupation: TROOPER, FIELD MARSHALL IF YOU LIKE !
    Interests: INTELLIGENCE, CONSPIRACY BUSTING.
    Signature: THE BATTLES OVER, AND THE LANDS ARE FREE AGAIN !

Your a bit of a freak aren't you? If you have ever served in the Army, I'm guessing you got a bit of flak?