How long does it take to become an officer from a regular??

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Dionysus, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I've got my briefing in September, and am training hard for it. But, all my eggs are in one basket, I don't want to do anything other than be in the Army. However, I like to have back up plans. So in the event that the board thought I was a goon, or gave me a 24 month delay because my banter is too savage, then I am game for joining as a regular. But how long do you have to wait as a regular before you can apply for RMAS?? I heard it was 9 years! I've got a degree and all that

2. You would need to prove yourself in your chosen Regiment/ Corps and have the CO's blessing and more than likely be a JNCO. So I would say at the quickest 4 years, from leaving basic training, but you have to be good, very good.

3. It's a different ball-game and one on which you would be unwise to rely!

You can be commissioned from the ranks in much the same way as graduate or non-graduate candidates, via AOSB and RMAS. But there are additional layers to prevent you doing it quickly! You have to be recommended and your OC and CO will want to see you perform outside your comfort zone for a while because it is they who have to write your recommendation. They will not want to have egg on their face for recommending an unsuitable candidate.

If forced to suggest a time, I reckon 2-3 years, but it is all down to you and the chain of command!

Don't get me wrong, you can do it, and there are many officers at the top of the tree who have served time in the ranks. But it isn't an easy route.

The Late Entry role is entirely different and I won't bother you with the details here!

Litotes

4. Agreed. Far far harder to get into RMAS from the ranks with extra hurdles both overt and covert at every step of the way. Plus immense pressure once your mates find out you want to be an orificer. A person contemplating this maneuver needs to be prepared for the reality. A life in the ranks. That may not be a bad thing. But it might not be what you want.

5. Cheers for that, it still looks an attractive back up!

6. Well if you go down that route please at least join an interesting bit of the Army !

7. I started as Junior Soldier - which doesn't really count - and did about 2 years in my first Regt before I passed RCB (as was). There are quite a few hurdles to jump over but if you are determined (and of the right quality) you will get there in the end. I wouldn't advise leaving it too long before you make the jump; partly because it won't help to get too indoctrinated or set in your ways and equally importantly because it's unfair to take up a place as a JNCO within your Regt that someone else would probably benefit more from. Be aware that, although previous experience is an advantage when you get to RMAS, the DS are well aware of that and will be expecting something more from you. As has been pointed out, this approach is a fairly high risk strategy with no guarantees. If you are not good enough to pass AOSB the 1st time around it's improbable that you will suddenly blossom into something significantly different (better?) after a couple of years as an OR.

8. There is a case for arguing that a person with a narrow fail for RMAS who wishes to apply again might not necessarily give himself the best chance by joining the ranks. Doing something else of a suitably character developing nature might be the way forward.

9. Dio

PM Sent

10. Why not just join as an Officer in the first place?

11. Why not actually read his original post before making bone comments?

12. I dont think there are too many hurdles... at the end of the day the army want suitable potential officers as officers rather than soldiers. The only issue is failing breifing/mainboard to which normal delays will apply.

13. I don't know whether it makes any difference if the soldier wants to be commissioned into the same Corps/Regiment he is in. Don't know if that helps or hinders the process.

14. Errrrr surely if you fail the Mainboard (allowing for the possibility of a second chance) then the "delay" as you call it will be somewhat permenant?

15. Only if you fail it twice, but thanks for being pedantic.