• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

How long do we have to wait for basic to start????

Hi all.

OK, I first applied to join June 2006, had selection in January 2007 and passed, now waiting for a date to start Phase 1 basic training.

I'm 25, an Engineer and i'm looking to join the Royal Engineers as a DD Design Draughtsman.

My question is how long is it going to take to finally get to Lichfield ? It seems like my life is on hold and its starting to get to me a bit, with people asking "when are you going in ?" all the time.

I have rang Chelmsford AFCO loads of times, and have been told to just wait...........

How long do the Army normally give you to pack up ship and do the off?

Thanks for any replies...

Wingy

They will give you about a month generally from attestation but you will get a few months notice about your start date. Normally 3 - 6 months from when you completed your barb test as stated above, or if the job you want to do is full you will have to hang on till a space opens up and your phase 1 will end just as the next phase two intake in your particular field starts, so its better for all parties, you don't want to be stuck in an afco for 2 months waiting for phase two.....At least that what i got told.

Adon

LondonPam said:
My son had his selection last August and is going in on 19th March (at last lol).
Good luck.
dont forget to move while he is away, thats what my mum did :threaten:

Oh, I didn't realise it was that long....I thought the Army is supposed to be short of people? Its a joke really isn't it?

I've been ready to do the off for ages now... Another 6 months sounds terrible. One good thing, I will be nice and super fit when I go in LOL!

I think it's time to go on holiday then no?

Thanks for the quick replies..

Wing

alright mate,
i think i was at selection with you, did u go on the 18th jan? because i remember someone there going in to be a design draughtsman...im sure its you...i was number 14!

p.s i start pirbright april 16th.

Alright mate, :wave:
Yeah that was me! Can't remember the face though, can you jog my memory? What were you joining again, Guards wasn't it?

Really enjoyed selection, it was sooo funny trying to get a kip after day 1, what with all the nutters running about LOL
:tongue: , that run was killer because we had had no sleep. Do you remember "Fish"? Man he was a funny dude! Shame he didn't pass, would have really liked someone like that in the barracks, soooo funny.

April doesn't sound too bad! When did you find that out, did they ring you or contact you by mail?

Anyways take it easy, speak soon. :thumright:

Wingy

they mailed me, i was the mixed race lad, the one who got caught smoking and ended up doing a thousand press ups and also got the highest number of heaves (16)...yeah fish/preach was a funny kid and that lad who turned the light on at 3am and we all thought it was 5am and started making the beds until someone shouted its 3 in the fecking morning lol was a right laugh.

ill pm ya anyway.

wingy24 said:
the_butler Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: How long do we have to wait for basic to start????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooooh get a room
Butler, get a life :threaten: :threaten: :threaten:

Wingy
A comment like that from someone who hasn't even served yet.

wind your neck in and go and take your little chav dog for a walk and clear your burberry head.
Why are you in such a rush has your mums boyfriend rented your bedroom out. :shakefist:

Luis said:
they mailed me, i was the mixed race lad, the one who got caught smoking and ended up doing a thousand press ups and also got the highest number of heaves (16)...yeah fish/preach was a funny kid and that lad who turned the light on at 3am and we all thought it was 5am and started making the beds until someone shouted its 3 in the fecking morning lol was a right laugh.

ill pm ya anyway.
TOO Funny! I remember you now, hope it all goes well for you. Be sure to pm when your in let me know what its like.

Did you piss in Butlers coffee or something? Looks like he's got the right hump LOL :mad:

Wing

the_butler said:
wingy24 said:
the_butler Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: How long do we have to wait for basic to start????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooooh get a room
Butler, get a life :threaten: :threaten: :threaten:

Wingy
A comment like that from someone who hasn't even served yet.

wind your neck in and go and take your little chav dog for a walk and clear your burberry head.
Why are you in such a rush has your mums boyfriend rented your bedroom out. :shakefist:
Actually I don't have a dog nor do I like chavs, and if you think that serving for your country gives you the right to be abusive, then you obviously got beasted one too many times by SMajor or was it your mum? Oh no couldn't have been her, she's moved away and not told you (wonder why? :confused: :scratch: )

And for your information I have owned my own house for 7 years been engaged for 2 and lived on my own since I was 15, thats my OWN house not my mums or my mums boyfriends, so why don't you go and make yourself useful and serve afternoon tea or something? Butler boy, and stop winding people up on an otherwise very useful site....

By the way i'm joining because it is something I have always wanted to do, I wished I had joined younger but didn't want to take the easy way out of a bad situation and run away, so I worked my arrse off for somewhere to live and got myself an education too. I'm just eager to live the life.......

Wing

Wingy,

Yes, we are short of soldiers, but we are even shorter of money and the training organisations are severely constrained at the moment. If you haven't yet been given a date, I imagine they are waiting for the new financial year which starts on 01 April (no joke...).

I suggest that, in the meantime, you use the time to sort out your house and life so that you have the minimum of interference from your past life once you start. Those 14 weeks are hectic!

And get fit!

Litotes

Litotes said:
Wingy,

Yes, we are short of soldiers, but we are even shorter of money and the training organisations are severely constrained at the moment. If you haven't yet been given a date, I imagine they are waiting for the new financial year which starts on 01 April (no joke...).

I suggest that, in the meantime, you use the time to sort out your house and life so that you have the minimum of interference from your past life once you start. Those 14 weeks are hectic!

And get fit!

Litotes

Thanks for the reply,

I read on the news that the Brit taxpayer spent 20 Million bringing together the civilian court case against a Officer and his men (can't remember his name, but he was the highest rank to be tried in this way) if what you say it true, then this money could, in my eyes, have been spent better (like training peeps like me LOL).

It's crazy what you read about lack of kit etc, we're supposed to be fighting a war or 2, you would think what with the amount of tax we pay (going up all the time) that there would be plenty of money in the pot? no? Also , if i'm right (please someone correct me if i'm not), the forces as a whole are the smallest they have ever been, so where does the money go? hmmmmm..... :confused:

About the house etc, I have pretty much got rid of or sold most of my belongings, my other half and I have decided to rent so that if she wants to be closer to me when i'm in it will be easier to move. Also I have had an offer on the house so its all looking good! This brings me to another point, if i'm right, you are not allowed your own transport for the 14 weeks basic?

What about after? I have a nice Yamaha R6 '04 that I don't really want to sell but if I had to then so be it........ :neutral: As for the fitness the longer the better :strong:

Wing

wingy24 said:
Litotes said:
Wingy,

And get fit!

Litotes

Thanks for the reply,

I read on the news that the Brit taxpayer spent 20 Million bringing together the civilian court case against a Officer and his men (can't remember his name, but he was the highest rank to be tried in this way) if what you say it true, then this money could, in my eyes, have been spent better (like training peeps like me LOL).

It's crazy what you read about lack of kit etc, we're supposed to be fighting a war or 2, you would think what with the amount of tax we pay (going up all the time) that there would be plenty of money in the pot? no? Also , if i'm right (please someone correct me if i'm not), the forces as a whole are the smallest they have ever been, so where does the money go? hmmmmm..... :confused:

About the house etc, I have pretty much got rid of or sold most of my belongings, my other half and I have decided to rent so that if she wants to be closer to me when i'm in it will be easier to move. Also I have had an offer on the house so its all looking good! This brings me to another point, if i'm right, you are not allowed your own transport for the 14 weeks basic?

What about after? I have a nice Yamaha R6 '04 that I don't really want to sell but if I had to then so be it........ :neutral: As for the fitness the longer the better :strong:

Wing
I haven't heard of that one and I doubt it. How else do you get to and from camp, most of which are miles out in the sticks? Someone in the training world should be able to answer that one.

Litotes

Latest Threads