How long do I have to apply?

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to post this, its my first post etc. etc...

I searched but I couldn't find an answer so;

a: If I apply today (12 April), what are the chances I can get into AFC Harrogate for the September intake, and

b: What are the qualifications I can get for the Army besides for the one's listed in "QUALIFICATIONS YOU COULD GET AFTER TRAINING" or is that all? I've heard you can get a degree, but all I can find info about on the Army's website is on Level 7.

c: Can someone give me info of jobs like a cyber engineer in the Royal Signals, ie. is it worth it, how is it viewed my the rest of the Army, is it good for after leaving the Army, etc.

Thanks

oppoStu

War Hero

You have even joined yet and are wondering about leaving...

Not everyone sees the Army as their primary career but a place to grow, mature and develop skills and qualifications desired by civvy life - I for one think it's sensible that the op is thinking past the army and how he can take full advantage of what army life has to offer.

a) no idea

b) "These qualifications range from Level 4 (foundation degree level) to Level 7 (masters degree level)"

c) check the signals forum

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

You have even joined yet and are wondering about leaving...
This site is a valuable resource for potential soldiers, we should be helping them, they'll tell their friends that is a welcoming site, not at all hostile, this grows the site.

Now, you weren't hostile, but if you read these forums regularly, you'll have realised that many of today's recruits ask about life after the Army, its a thing, unlike in our day, we should keep up with this stuff and not be so dismissive.

This site is a valuable resource for potential soldiers, we should be helping them, they'll tell their friends that is a welcoming site, not at all hostile, this grows the site.

Now, you weren't hostile, but if you read these forums regularly, you'll have realised that many of today's recruits ask about life after the Army, its a thing, unlike in our day, we should keep up with this stuff and not be so dismissive.

Exactly. The old man who had retired as a WO1. He was able to casually stroll into a job with the CEGB more or less doing what he did in the military as regards supply and logistics - he modernised their way of doing things and was asked to bugger off to take a CEGB posting to the far east for a few years while they were building some power stations out there.

I ended up doing IT at university because I was putting small systems into my trade groups locations and saw the future.

I never met a Royal Signals Tech, or REME mechanic who was short of a job.

@Samp the military is at the cutting edge of cyber warfare, you will learn things there that will put you ahead of civvys doing similar stuff outside. If you want a degree (take it from someone who has one, me) they do not just give them to you, you will have to work for it. BUT, it will enhance your career prospects in the military where they may mention you should apply to be an officer, and it will definitely help you when you return to civvy life.

Here is a thought for you; why not stay at school, go to uni and study cyber security, join the Army Reserves in a relevant job whilst at uni, or join the University Officer Training Corps unit at the university. That way you will have a degree relevant to your chosen career path, and find out about the Army with the possibility of joining as an officer.

To what the first posts where saying (about worried about after the Army before actually being in it), essentially yeah, I like cyber stuff, but I like the military as well, I want to join the Military but I don't want it to ruin (or lessen) future prospects in a job like that. (and thanks for the other help as well)
I never met a Royal Signals Tech, or REME mechanic who was short of a job.

@Samp the military is at the cutting edge of cyber warfare, you will learn things there that will put you ahead of civvys doing similar stuff outside. If you want a degree (take it from someone who has one, me) they do not just give them to you, you will have to work for it. BUT, it will enhance your career prospects in the military where they may mention you should apply to be an officer, and it will definitely help you when you return to civvy life.

Here is a thought for you; why not stay at school, go to uni and study cyber security, join the Army Reserves in a relevant job whilst at uni, or join the University Officer Training Corps unit at the university. That way you will have a degree relevant to your chosen career path, and find out about the Army with the possibility of joining as an officer.
About the first two paragraphs, sounds great!

Re the last one, Its hard to get into a good uni without good GCSE's, and mine where a bit messed up bec of covid

To what the first posts where saying (about worried about after the Army before actually being in it), essentially yeah, I like cyber stuff, but I like the military as well, I want to join the Military but I don't want it to ruin (or lessen) future prospects in a job like that. (and thanks for the other help as well)

About the first two paragraphs, sounds great!

Re the last one, Its hard to get into a good uni without good GCSE's, and mine where a bit messed up bec of covid

See if you can do a HND, or an access course followed by an HND. You can upgrade a HND to a degree with some extra work later.

I’ll tell you something though; People seem to think it is a case of joining the army and getting a leg up on qualifications. The army doesn’t give away qualifications, you still have to pass the entry requirements to get onto courses, and then you have to pass the courses. If anything it is harder to get qualified in the army because whilst you are studying for a qualification you also have to do all the soldier stuff.

I did an army trade, long course, full-time, lasting 12 months, it was the same as a civvy taking 3 years. Then after 3 years I had to go back for an upgrading assessment month to show I had learnt enough in the previous 3 years to qualify for promotion to Sergeant and above. I also attended courses at civvy companies supplying equipment to the military. in front of the civvys I had better not embarrass the army by not learning, or not knowing my stuff - its what is expected.

After the army I went to university. The kids moan about how much they have to work, how hard they have it, that they have no time for themselves. Yeah right. Compared to being a soldier learning a trade being a civvy student is a Doddle.

Latest Threads