How long before 3rd world insurgents get directed HEAT?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by gobbyidiot, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strikes me the weakspot of the RPG is that once it's fired it's undirected, and it isn't that fast in flight. We must be coming close to having the electronics that would allow you to sample the flight and tell a) whether it was going to hit the sensor (say on the vehicle), or b) where it was going to hit.

If it was coming right at the sensor the register on the visual cells shouldn't "smear" - it should be the same size.

In a moving vehicle you would have thought that the brakes could be automatically dabbed to ensue a miss if it sensed you were going to drive onto an intersecting course.

On flat ground, if you were prone, you could even imagine little drone buggies with a sheet of thin steel atop them to scoot back and forth and take a hit for the team.

I know, I know, blue skies thinking is dangerously close to methylated fantasies.
  2. Yep, theoretically possible. There are active defence systems that launch a counter-munition to destroy the incoming warhead- try the Russian Arena and successors.
  3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Defensive Aid Suites are cool (just look at Phalanx), but they're unreliable and can be a mare for collateral damage. All the technology's there, but finding a way to adapt it properly for vehicle and dismounted use (while keeping it within the ROE) is a huge problem.

Firing off a bucketload of rounds at an incoming RPG to blow it up sounds good until you realise that said RPG is coming down a high street full of civilians and you just unloaded 300 rounds at it without any human input.
  4. Does have a few problems though :-

Another worry is collateral damage, he said. “In a tight urban area, the Trophy system may take out the RPG, but we may kill 20 people in the process,” Sorenson said. “That is a concern we have that we haven’t fully evaluated.”
  5. Trying to defeat it actively has lots of problems. I know moving (changing direction by braking) has its problems too - you need to detect it much earlier and you are taking away control from the driver - but I think it's a more elegant solution.

My other "you're off your work, with nobody to bug and you're at a loose end" thought was, "I wonder how much piff there is behind an RPG motor?" In a base you wonder what could be achieved with microfilament net.
  6. On the subject of a counter munition - what's the pattern on a Claymore? If you made the ball bearings smaller and the curve of the mine sharper what would be the pattern and range? Then all you need is a reliable detector/initiator, and the risk to civilians and others drops dramtically.