• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

How long after signing off can I apply for jobs?

Question pretty much speaks for itself, probably regarded as a stupid question, but don't really want to start applying for jobs straight away to be told by the army to p*ss off you're in for another 10 months.
Especially in my current regiment where manpower is really at an unbelievably low level.
So realistically, how long after signing off could/should I start applying for jobs?

Cheers

Might be worth having a dig around. I'm sure there was a similar thread where it was mentioned that a firm job offer could speed up discharge- I dunno what it's like now but back in the '80s guys would always get knocked back by the OC and the process would take about a year.

Question pretty much speaks for itself, probably regarded as a stupid question, but don't really want to start applying for jobs straight away to be told by the army to p*ss off you're in for another 10 months.
Especially in my current regiment where manpower is really at an unbelievably low level.
So realistically, how long after signing off could/should I start applying for jobs?

Cheers
How long have you served? If it's over 9 years, there's a chance, as detailed in QRs below.

The reality is, if you have a written job offer and a start date, and your CO is willing to stand the gap in your post, there is every chance your G1 staff will be able to get you out in time.

Start applying now and if you get an offer, ask your Unit to release you.

"9.425. As a privilege a soldier who has completed 9 or more years reckonable service may terminate his Colour service within 3 months of the end of his engagement or the expiry of his period of notice without payment of purchase costs.

In effect the earliest this privilege becomes effective will be at the 9 year and 9 month point of a soldier's service. The purpose of this privilege concession is to enable the soldier to take up civil employment or to commence a course of instruction at a bona fide educational establishment which cannot hold a vacancy open until the normal termination date.

a. To be eligible for this concession the soldier must have:

(1) Completed 9 or more years reckonable continuous service.
(2) Given appropriate notice if serving on a 22-Year, Notice, Open or Versatile Engagement.
(3) Documentary evidence showing that he will lose the offer of civil employment or place on a course of
further education if held to serve until his normal release date.

b. No additional concessions are to be granted in respect of terminal leave or a resettlement course, but if a resettlement course has already been completed this will not deprive the soldier from applying for this privilege. In the case of applications in accordance with para 9.400g, DM(A) has the discretion to grant terminal leave and/or resettlement provisions.

c. A soldier who wishes to leave within 3 months of completing 22 years service for pension should submit his application in accordance with para 9.400g.

e. The application is to be submitted on A F B 132A, with the supporting evidence, to the Ministry of Defence (DM(A)) through the appropriate Capbadge Section of the APC, who are to attach a completed A F B 132.

Termination, if agreed, is to be authorized on A F B 132 by Ministry of Defence (DM(A))."

How long have you served? If it's over 9 years, there's a chance, as detailed in QRs below.

The reality is, if you have a written job offer and a start date, and your CO is willing to stand the gap in your post, there is every chance your G1 staff will be able to get you out in time.

Start applying now and if you get an offer, ask your Unit to release you.

"9.425. As a privilege a soldier who has completed 9 or more years reckonable service may terminate his Colour service within 3 months of the end of his engagement or the expiry of his period of notice without payment of purchase costs.

In effect the earliest this privilege becomes effective will be at the 9 year and 9 month point of a soldier's service. The purpose of this privilege concession is to enable the soldier to take up civil employment or to commence a course of instruction at a bona fide educational establishment which cannot hold a vacancy open until the normal termination date.

a. To be eligible for this concession the soldier must have:

(1) Completed 9 or more years reckonable continuous service.
(2) Given appropriate notice if serving on a 22-Year, Notice, Open or Versatile Engagement.
(3) Documentary evidence showing that he will lose the offer of civil employment or place on a course of
further education if held to serve until his normal release date.

b. No additional concessions are to be granted in respect of terminal leave or a resettlement course, but if a resettlement course has already been completed this will not deprive the soldier from applying for this privilege. In the case of applications in accordance with para 9.400g, DM(A) has the discretion to grant terminal leave and/or resettlement provisions.

c. A soldier who wishes to leave within 3 months of completing 22 years service for pension should submit his application in accordance with para 9.400g.

e. The application is to be submitted on A F B 132A, with the supporting evidence, to the Ministry of Defence (DM(A)) through the appropriate Capbadge Section of the APC, who are to attach a completed A F B 132.

Termination, if agreed, is to be authorized on A F B 132 by Ministry of Defence (DM(A))."
Looking at his previous posts, this won't apply. https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/search/51370626/

I think he's one of the ones who get ants in their pants and just can't settle. Worth a try though.