How is ARRSE Run & Funded?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by PrinceAlbert, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's because Arrse is being run more and more like a business everyday, and not like a squaddie forum.

Olivenet are thinking about the bottom line.

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Interesting point because, of course, we are a business although the international conglomerate of Olive Net is really GCO (full time), me (part time) & EvilAdj (part time)!

The bottom line is definitely important to us because we like to eat, etc but we've always tried to strike an appropriate balance. The simple fact is that without ongoing work, ARRSE would never have improved as it undoubtedly has over the years.

Of course if people feel that there are things we are doing which are not appropriate then please let us know and lets have an open discussion.

3. Hey don't bring me into this Good Co, I am only snarling about bandwidth keeping your customer base away and unnecessary functions cluttering up your corporate image and debasing core profit centres.

Prince Albert is probably some sort of commie.

4. Haha, I've never been called a Commie before. I'm not saying that Arrse is being run in a right or wrong way. It's not my train-set.

And as BCO has stated, they like to eat, and if people are working full-time on ARRSE then it needs to bring in revenue.

The only thing that I don't particularly like is the random couple of ads in the "last 50" that run along the screen between the threads.

5. Bad CO

Yes they are a bit of a pain but we've deliberately kept them as small text ads rather than banners so hopefully aren't that bad?

P.S Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the communist party?

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Look at it like this: no ads = no spare money = no buying iphone apps = real squaddies on mobile devices can't use arrse easily = ARRSE limited to use by polished-bum-civvy-desk-weasels like you and me. Therefore advertising = 'real squddies forum', no advertising = desk-weasel forum. Simple!

7. Fair one.

Not as far as I'm aware comrade :)

8. I've donated more than once thank you very much ;)

9. Bad CO

We're obviously very grateful to everyone who does donate and there is no doubt it makes a big difference. In these straightened times there are loads of ways you can help that won't cost a penny though and we've collected them all together on this page.

Perhaps the most effective one for us though is if you're doing shopping on Amazon then start on here! That way we get approx 5% of the total value of your purchase ..... at no cost to you! It also gives you the satisfaction of making a small dent in their immense profits!

10. Can Amazon.de be added as a link?

11. The rumour is that GCO and BCO must be car valletting to put funds into ARRSE as they both have been spotted out in brand new porsche and Mercedes lately. It is a Rumour service isnt it??

12. Canny move getting Prince Albert to start this thread, I've slipped a few quid in the old tin, carry on the good work.

13. Well I'm not going to use my own am I??

Will use the Amazon link in future, wasn't aware of that!

14. Bad,

The Amazon idea is excellent, as an Associate have a look at the Carousel option you can knock together... even if everyone just starts off in Amazon by pressing an Amazon link in the ARRSE Site they will help ARRSE even if they purchase something after viewing 50 pages of Amazon. I've started a couple of forums in the past, which look like a caveman drawing compared to the ARRSE Site, there is no military forum online like ARRSE/Rum Ration or E-Goat that can look, feel and work the way they do without considerable funds and time thrown at them... more of us should donate regularly, maybe a Pound or Two in the ARRSE Coffers at Christmas would be a good way of saying 'Thanks, appreciated, keep up the great work - but delete or MOD more than one of my posts and I want my donation back with interest ;)"

Good Job guys, the new 'similar threads' links at the bottom of each thread are great, been laughing like a loon at the Walting With Confidence Arrsepedia insertion, only after seeing it in a thread I had a look at in the similar threads area...

ARRSE is looking Top Notch at the moment and it is obvious there are people in the background updating the site all the time, which takes time, effort and funds...

15. Bad CO

This should work - Amazon (Germany).

Thanks for the suggestion!