• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

How, In The Name of God?

I've been thinking about this for a while as i've got nothing better to do. Let me take you back to the days of the good ole' 58 webbing.

I remember, as a Junior Leader, going on numerous exercises and having kit inspections by the DS. What surprises me is the shoite we had to pack into the webbing and the (bizzarely named) large pack. From memory:

Spare combats (jacket & trousers)
Spare boots
Jumper
Shirts
Chinese combats
Waterproofs
Robin Hood thermals
Spare gunts & socks
PT Kit (FFS??)
Tinned rations

To name but a few. As for the webbing, god knows how all that cack got in there. Now, down my ACF unit the other night i attempted to try and cram some of this stuff into a large pack (as an experiment) and try as i might, i didn't even get close.

My question. How on earth did we manage to do this and what kit have i missed out? Surely i must have imagined this?

sarge_massage_my_passage said:
;
Spare Gunts? Whats wrong with inside out and turn around? One rotation a week and you've got 4 weeks of ball warmers in 1, bargain!
God forbid the poor JL that forgot his spare gunts. He would be doubling up and down the road with his SLR above his head until he collapsed. Not that you changed the feckers anyway!

tropper66 said:
God when I joined up we still had 38 patten and it was bootpolished black at JLRRAC
38??? Tropper, you're showing your age mate! My God. I wore that stuff once when i was a young cadet, it was fooking awful. Mind you, you could get a hell of a lot of stuff in those mammoth ammo pouches!!

blackrat_scaleyback said:
tropper66 said:
God when I joined up we still had 38 patten and it was bootpolished black at JLRRAC
38??? Tropper, you're showing your age mate! My God. I wore that stuff once when i was a young cadet, it was fooking awful. Mind you, you could get a hell of a lot of stuff in those mammoth ammo pouches!!
I joined (or to use today's term passed selection?)in 1965 to 72,I was issued og combats and 37 pattern webbing, I handed in the same kit when I left. ee lad 58 pattern? luxury I tell you, the youth today would'nt believe you. but then again I was'nt a dealer of death so it did'nt really matter what they gave me.

Dont forget green maggot doss bag strapped on the top.Ideal for preventing you from lifting your head up with bin lid on when lying prone.

Remember hooking the backpack on the D rings at the front and throwing the whole thing over your head.Hoping that the weight of the bloody thing did'nt throw you over as it landed with a thud on your back.

blackrat_scaleyback said:
I've been thinking about this for a while as i've got nothing better to do. Let me take you back to the days of the good ole' 58 webbing.

I remember, as a Junior Leader, going on numerous exercises and having kit inspections by the DS. What surprises me is the shoite we had to pack into the webbing and the (bizzarely named) large pack. From memory:

Spare combats (jacket & trousers)
Spare boots
Jumper
Shirts
Chinese combats
Waterproofs
Robin Hood thermals
Spare gunts & socks
PT Kit (FFS??)
Tinned rations

To name but a few. As for the webbing, god knows how all that cack got in there. Now, down my ACF unit the other night i attempted to try and cram some of this stuff into a large pack (as an experiment) and try as i might, i didn't even get close.

My question. How on earth did we manage to do this and what kit have i missed out? Surely i must have imagined this?
This is something I have nothing but the utmost respect for the old and bold for! How indeed in the name of God did you do it! :salut:

arfah said:
Try getting your getting your NBC kit into the bumroll as well !

Not the respirator and haversack though, obviously.
That was a nightmare, Krypton factor had nothing on that. My own favourite hell was trying to roll the sleeping bag up tight enough to put inside it's little bag and still get the toggles fastened.

halomonkey said:
My own favourite hell was trying to roll the sleeping bag up tight enough to put inside it's little bag and still get the toggles fastened.
In the RE's that was never a problem, the Doss bag was so full of oil and grease it slide in anywhere . . . . . . . :wink:

tropper66 said:
Yer, you realy needed a button stick in those days
Duraglit and Black Fingers and if caught with balck fingers, then pick YOUR window and watch as the rest of the room were ordered to throw ALL your kit out and then go and bring it back in again ALL for YOU!

You never got caught with Duraglit ALL over your hands EVER again . . .

I suppose that's why loads of lads customised their set of 58 with loads of waterbottle pouches, just to get more kit onto their belt. (apart from trying to look like an extra in "who dares wins" :D )

I recall as a recruit we had to carry a spare pair of pants inside one of our mess tins along with our wash kit and boot cleaning kit....as it's been a while, I can't remember what item had to go into the left or right kidney pouch.

All I do remember was that getting it wrong meant incurring the wrath of our section Cpl.

arfah said:
Try getting your getting your NBC kit into the bumroll as well !

Not the respirator and haversack though, obviously.
Don't forget the poncho!

Wash kit in mess tins, boot kit in webbing and all the rest of that stuff. Woe betide he that put anything bar mags into the ammo pouch or anything in the ressi pouch. One of our lads had a morale boosting snack in his ressi pouch which the corporal found. He shouted "GAS GAS GAS" and smeared french fancy cakes all over his face. The same poor bloke also had some kit in his ammo pouch. The command was "With hexi blocks... LOAD" Oh the mess those things made of his SLR.

Latest Threads