How, In The Name of God?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Blackrat, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been thinking about this for a while as i've got nothing better to do. Let me take you back to the days of the good ole' 58 webbing.

I remember, as a Junior Leader, going on numerous exercises and having kit inspections by the DS. What surprises me is the shoite we had to pack into the webbing and the (bizzarely named) large pack. From memory:

Spare combats (jacket & trousers)
    Spare boots
    Jumper
    Shirts
    Chinese combats
    Waterproofs
    Robin Hood thermals
    Spare gunts & socks
    PT Kit (FFS??)
    Tinned rations

To name but a few. As for the webbing, god knows how all that cack got in there. Now, down my ACF unit the other night i attempted to try and cram some of this stuff into a large pack (as an experiment) and try as i might, i didn't even get close.

My question. How on earth did we manage to do this and what kit have i missed out? Surely i must have imagined this?

2. ;
    Spare Gunts? Whats wrong with inside out and turn around? One rotation a week and you've got 4 weeks of ball warmers in 1, bargain!

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We also had to carry greatcoats! Why, FFS?

4. God forbid the poor JL that forgot his spare gunts. He would be doubling up and down the road with his SLR above his head until he collapsed. Not that you changed the feckers anyway!

5. God when I joined up we still had 38 patten and it was bootpolished black at JLRRAC

6. 38??? Tropper, you're showing your age mate! My God. I wore that stuff once when i was a young cadet, it was fooking awful. Mind you, you could get a hell of a lot of stuff in those mammoth ammo pouches!!

7. I joined (or to use today's term passed selection?)in 1965 to 72,I was issued og combats and 37 pattern webbing, I handed in the same kit when I left. ee lad 58 pattern? luxury I tell you, the youth today would'nt believe you. but then again I was'nt a dealer of death so it did'nt really matter what they gave me.

8. In case the Kaiser called for tea.

9. ;
    LOL @ Dingerr's comment :D

Hey look, if you think you had it bad, the Crab's have still got the greatcoat, complete with a tw&t modelling it

[​IMG]

10. Try getting your getting your NBC kit into the bumroll as well !

Not the respirator and haversack though, obviously.

11. And brasses buffed until you could see your face on ALL of them!

(Ex JLRRE Dover 66)

12. Dont forget green maggot doss bag strapped on the top.Ideal for preventing you from lifting your head up with bin lid on when lying prone.

Remember hooking the backpack on the D rings at the front and throwing the whole thing over your head.Hoping that the weight of the bloody thing did'nt throw you over as it landed with a thud on your back.

13. This is something I have nothing but the utmost respect for the old and bold for! How indeed in the name of God did you do it! :salut:

14. That was a nightmare, Krypton factor had nothing on that. My own favourite hell was trying to roll the sleeping bag up tight enough to put inside it's little bag and still get the toggles fastened.

15. In the RE's that was never a problem, the Doss bag was so full of oil and grease it slide in anywhere . . . . . . . :wink: