How important to you?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Benny687, Oct 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Question for those of you that have been through training. How important were your parents to you while you were away/home on leave?

Long story as to the background for my question but any experiences welcome.

2. Mine were extremely important, they said I'd never pass out.

Funnily they never got invited to mine.
  3. Mine were important, but this was a few years ago, (1989).

It depends on what you need, it can be good to have someone to call, that will tell you what you need to hear, and thus help you to keep going.

It can work against you, if you have a family, that dosn't support the amred forces, as they will want you to come home, and will try and use your phone calls against you.

In my case my Family, were all ex Forces (or connected to them), my Mum's dad was Green Slime, where as my Dad was ex RAF. So me joining the Light Infantry was supported.
  4. Thats actually quite reassuring W60! haha

Thanks for the replies guys.
  5. Well I couldn't get out of the house quick enough to be honest. Spent a year at JLR and they still hadn't got a phone put in. Moved to Germany, still no phone. Deployed to NI, still no phone installed. Deployed on GW1, still no phone. Get out after GW1 and move into my own place, still no phone installed.

Sister goes to Isle of Man to work over the summer, phone installed before she left.

So how important are my parents to me? Not very if at all, Fcuk 'em, hardly looks like they'd have been any use even if I did want to get in touch.
  6. The little text helps, but really, it's down to you, you know you have peoples support, even if they are civvies and don't understand albeit
  7. I think it all depends on how important they are/were to you before joining. If you seek/need their approval and support for what you do then their approval and support of you joining/passing out will be important. If you do not seek/need their approval and support then it won't matter. Simple but true.