• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

How important is the BARB test?

I'm not quite sure how important the BARB test is in the army or how it even works, haven't had a chance to speak to my local regiments yet.

Is it literally you turn up to Phase 1 and they give you test and just list some jobs you are allowed to apply for, or is it after you have chosen which section of the army to go into or what?

Thanks

Ok I'm guessing you really haven't done your research on the army atall but yeh the barb test is rather important it's the first thing you do after you have an opening interview with a careers officer and how well you do determines what jobs your eligible for then after that you have the basic skills tests. They are exactly that just tests on basic marks and English this also contributes to what jobs get offered to you trust me your along way off phase 1 training

Its like any other test you will face in the Army, you need to pass it.

All tests need a pass, its not school anymore. If you join up you need to step up.

I'm not quite sure how important the BARB test is in the army or how it even works, haven't had a chance to speak to my local regiments yet.

Is it literally you turn up to Phase 1 and they give you test and just list some jobs you are allowed to apply for, or is it after you have chosen which section of the army to go into or what?

Thanks
It's similar to an iq test. It's a psychometric test that covers a range of areas so the army can get an idea what you can cope with, or how 'trainable' you. You don't do it in phase 1, it is one of the first things you do so your recruiter can present your options and help you choose a career

Yeah I know you need to pass it, that wasn't the question.

But I've taken a psychometric test before actually, I came of in really good light so if it's psychometric i'll be happy.

Yeah I know you need to pass it, that wasn't the question.

But I've taken a psychometric test before actually, I came of in really good light so if it's psychometric i'll be happy.
There isn't really any other way, you need to pass.

I've passed a psychometric test too, I'm also happy.

You still need to pass the Army tests, more so these days, the places are highly prized.

The questions are that easy, but it's also the reaction time they look at. There's also quite a few questions, so you have to keep up the pace. It's not an entry exam, it just gives the recruiters a profile to work from.

OK OS its Friday night, the end of a long week and Ive had a drink and followed the link to the BARB test. Please dont tell me its really as easy as that, I achieved 100% even in my anibriated state.
Its ok mate, thats the basics, that only gets you through the door, theres a lot more to go, inibriated or otherwise. Thanks for the lesson though, I need to learn some more because I've never done it myself.

M

MARTOK

I'll give you a clue, passing the test. There is no easy way in.
Its ok mate, thats the basics, that only gets you through the door, theres a lot more to go, inibriated or otherwise. Thanks for the lesson though, I need to learn some more because I've never done it myself.
Which brings me on to all the posts I read about entry level fitness eg 'Im aiming to get my 1.5 time down to 13 minutes before I start phase 1' What happened to 11.5 minimum, have things changed so much since I left in 97.

It's a couple of years since I've anything to do with the BARB test, however there are a couple of misconceptions shown here as to exactly what it's for.

As mentioned above the test consists of a series of questions and a set time to answer as many as possible. The test is conducted on a computer which, on completion of the test, does some clever calculations (number of correct answers and time taken, etc.) and gives the potential recruit a GTI score. As I recall GTI stands for gross or general trainable index and is a measure of how easily the potential recruit is likely to be trained and his or her capacity to learn. So although it is not exactly an intelligence test it will indicate the capacity of the individual to be trained.

As most people will be aware, the army has many different trades open to potential recruits and each requires a different level of intellectual capacity measured by how "trainable" you need to be to pass the training, measured by the GTI score. Therefore to be an aviation technician you need to score very high on the BARB test whereas to be an infantry soldier you do not need to score so high.

Each trade is given a minimum GTI score required to do it, therefore once you have done the BARB test in the recruiting office you will be told which trades are open to you.

One thing to understand is that if you score high on the test you get more choice. Scoring high does not mean that you cannot become an infantry soldier for instance. There are plenty of soldiers who have scored high enough to go into one of the more technical trades but have gone to the infantry/RAC/etc because that is the job they wanted to do. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because a soldier is in the infantry (or whatever it happens to be) that he must have scored low in his BARB test and so had no other choice.

The BARB test has no physical component so as far as I know is already gender fare, despite the comment above.

Which brings me on to all the posts I read about entry level fitness eg 'Im aiming to get my 1.5 time down to 13 minutes before I start phase 1' What happened to 11.5 minimum, have things changed so much since I left in 97.
PFT standards for under 30s are 10.30 for men and 13 mins for women. This may be the 13 mins being referred to. My personal view is that allowing an 18 year old female the same time as a 45 year old man potentially working in the same career field is utterly ridiculous and that a gender free but age fare test with standards according to employment field and unit should be used instead.

Simply it can be pretty pointless depending on how ever you look at it. You just need to pass it to your chosen trade but at the same time it tests how fast you can assimilate information. Plus a good score can help you get the trade you want and stops the complete mongs of society from getting in.

Still a much needed measure all be it a basic test...but then again it's only the first step on the ladder.

PFT standards for under 30s are 10.30 for men and 13 mins for women. This may be the 13 mins being referred to. My personal view is that allowing an 18 year old female the same time as a 45 year old man potentially working in the same career field is utterly ridiculous and that a gender free but age fare test with standards according to employment field and unit should be used instead.
What like the AFT you mean ^_~

Latest Threads