Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How honourable were the Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe?

That's interesting, thanks. In the photographers wiki page it says:

"The negatives of photos were discovered several decades later in the Federal German archives.[1] According to Weixler's own testimony:
It was possible for me to get the negatives of my photos to a friend in Athens, who saved copies for me"

Do you know how they then end up in the German archives? The conspiracist in me says that they somehow got them and buried them. Unless there were different negatives of the same massacre, some in Greece, some in Germany? Just wondering.

The Germans have form for misbehaving from 1914 onwards...

Rape of Belgium 1914

WW1 atrocities

The Truth About German Atrocities

No reason why they wouldn't do the same again in 1939-45.

For a nation that could produce the likes of Beethoven, Bach, Handel and a whole raft of thinkers, philosophers and artists, they sure had a lot of nasty sadistic bastards...

Do you know how they then end up in the German archives? The conspiracist in me says that they somehow got them and buried them.
Only what's on the internet; more information here.

"What was different at Kondomari was the presence of Franz-Peter Weixler. For the whole terrible action was captured by Weixler in a series of photographs ....

Many will have seen these shocking photographs but may not be aware of how and why they were taken and the steps the photographer took to ensure their survival. Directed to surrender his film to his superiors, Weixler was able to send copies to a friend in Athens. He was soon dismissed from the German Army and later accused of high treason for having leaked his photographic record of the Kondomari massacre and for helping some of the villagers escape. Arrested by the Gestapo, Weixler was court martialled. Condemned to death, Weixler remained in prison from early 1944 until the end of the war. But he would not rest. Weixler went on to provide a written testimony of the massacre and Goering’s role in ordering such actions during the trial of the former Nazi leader at Nuremberg after the war. While Goering committed suicide before he was to be executed, Horst Trebes – who was awarded the Knights Cross by Goering for his “bravery” in Crete – was later killed following the Normandy landings. Former General Student was never tried for crimes against civilians."

It suggests that many other massacres were not recorded.

Last edited:

oldnotbold

War Hero

"The negatives of photos were discovered several decades later in the Federal German archives.[1] According to Weixler's own testimony:

Do you know how they then end up in the German archives? The conspiracist in me says that they somehow got them and buried them. Unless there were different negatives of the same massacre, some in Greece, some in Germany? Just wondering.

The Germans have form for misbehaving from 1914 onwards...

Rape of Belgium 1914

WW1 atrocities

The Truth About German Atrocities

No reason why they wouldn't do the same again in 1939-45.

For a nation that could produce the likes of Beethoven, Bach, Handel and a whole raft of thinkers, philosophers and artists, they sure had a lot of nasty sadistic bastards...
Have you sat through a Wagner opera?

Former General Student was never tried for crimes against civilians."

. . . . . . . . .
It suggests that many other massacres were not recorded.
Kurt Student lived in Bad Salzuflen (between Herford and Lemgo) after the war, and until his death in 1978. When Tony Farrar-Hockley was GOC 4 Div at Herford 71-73 I know that there were several meetings between the two men. Both were paratroopers, and despite the age difference both had formative experiences in Greece during WW2. It would have been fascinating to have been a fly on the wall at their meetings. F-H was either writing, or had just written, Airborne Carpet, his book about Market Garden at the time.

I feel sure that Bundeswehr Fallschirmjager continue to wear the Kreta cuff title - maybe Mrs von der Leyen stopped it ?

Last edited:

Latest Threads