Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How heavy to be a para?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but does anybody know if there is a weight requirement you must reach for the paras. I’m relatively skinny and just wondered if I need to be a certain weight.

fat-para1.jpg

The minimum weight requirements for the army is directly related to height.

The Minimum height requirement is 148cm (except for employment which involve driving, when the minimum height is 158cm). Your weight should be in proportion to your height.

Adult entry (male): Body Mass Index (BMI) normally must be between 18 and 28, but with further assessment by the Army Doctor up to 32. (Male applicants with a BMI of between 28 to 32 must have a waistline measurement of below 94cm).

For junior entry, your BMI requirements must be between 17 and 27 to proceed.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but does anybody know if there is a weight requirement you must reach for the paras. I’m relatively skinny and just wondered if I need to be a certain weight.

Pay attention, there may be questions later. My son who is now 16 is a tall lanky streak of piss, I call him stick boy in a jokey dad like way. He got a bit pissed off with being skinny and potentially having to defend himself & kick the crap out of bullies - he has a black belt in TKD and has proven he knows how to take care of himself a couple of times at school.

He googled around and found Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) work out plan online. He got his mum to enroll him at a local gym, he went 4 times a week following the Hemsworth workout plan and also drinking one of those body builder supplement milkshakes afterwards for around 20 weeks. He has put on just over 30lbs in muscle bulk and has some pretty good ab's now too. Makes me look like a proper old fat knacker.

Get to it.

Also work on rope climbing, pull ups, sit ups & press ups for your overall fitness. The more you do before you get there the easier it will be when a Corporal is screaming at you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
.......Also work on rope climbing, pull ups, sit ups & press ups for your overall fitness. The more you do before you get there the easier it will be when a Corporal is screaming at you.

Good luck.

This. And also get out running. The further the better. Reduce the torture of this particular course by getting yourself in shape before you pole up at Catterick.

Does it matter?
The terminal speed of any human is 100MPH, or so I was told.
Not that I am trying to put you off, of course.

Does it matter?
The terminal speed of any human is 100MPH, or so I was told.
Not that I am trying to put you off, of course.

You've never jumped out of a perfickly good airyplane then. Terminal velocity is around 120 +/-mph, when tracking it can, fully head down, tucked in, get up to 150mph - 180mph.