Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

How hard is the running/tabbing in basic training

I shouldn’t think you’ll have any problems. Training is designed to be suitable for all. The staff will keep an eye out for anyone having problems but they don’t want to break you. Don’t over think things, just do your best and accept that there will always be someone faster, stronger or better at drill. No one is perfect and you won’t be the only youngster there

Yeah i'm putting the work in just worrying about it to be honest

You have done the first part to solving worries and that is talking about them. I am part of the old and bold crew and so (as others mention here) really unsuited to giving specific advice. I see others better placed to comment than me are doing just that which, hopefully, is helping to address your concerns.

Again good luck to you and all of the team for this intake, and that team will also be a source (both staff and recruits) of help to you. Maybe in years to come you and they will be back here giving similar help to others about to start on the same adventure.

As mentioned above it's well structured by people who know what they're doing so as long as you work hard you'll get there in the end.
However If I had my time again I'd certainly of done a bit more training before I arrived, I met the requirements but only just and as such i found it a struggle at times, you'll have enough to concentrate on without having to worry about PT. The fitter lads on my intake only had any worries when it came to battle PT or bayonet training which would exhaust an Olympic athlete anyway.
That 5k time is a bit worrying for someone your age about to join the infantry, I'd be looking at shaving a good few minutes off that. Look at varying your workouts to include some muscle endurance as well as cardio, a martial art or circuit classes would do the trick. (goes without saying to train smart at this stage regardless of what you do, the last thing you want is an injury)
Enjoy it and good luck!

Are you road running in boots or trainers as this will make a difference.
But until you get in to Phase 1 a moderate level of fitness will help you along the way.

I start CIC at Catterick in January (going for the rifles), I feel mentally ready and I'm confident in upper body but Im a really weak runner, My 5k time is between 27-30 mins depending on when I run (slower in the mornings before I eat). Am I going to really struggle or will I be fine, a few of my mates who are at there regiment now have told me its hard but it slowly builds you up but i'm still worried when I get there Ill keep falling behind. I got 9.2 on beep test. I do have a couple months to bring that time down but its more the distance that gets me.

Also is anyone here starting basic for the rifles on the 24th of jan?

So why are you wanting to join a part of the Army in which you are required to run/tab, and why haven't you trained more already?

As mentioned above it's well structured by people who know what they're doing so as long as you work hard you'll get there in the end.
However If I had my time again I'd certainly of done a bit more training before I arrived, I met the requirements but only just and as such i found it a struggle at times, you'll have enough to concentrate on without having to worry about PT. The fitter lads on my intake only had any worries when it came to battle PT or bayonet training which would exhaust an Olympic athlete anyway.
That 5k time is a bit worrying for someone your age about to join the infantry, I'd be looking at shaving a good few minutes off that. Look at varying your workouts to include some muscle endurance as well as cardio, a martial art or circuit classes would do the trick. (goes without saying to train smart at this stage regardless of what you do, the last thing you want is an injury)
Enjoy it and good luck!
Yeah I know I think its mostly down to the fact ive been smoking from a really young age and for the last 5 odd years I havent been doing any exersize until i applied.