How hard is the running/tabbing in basic training

FrankieBoy

Clanker
I start CIC at Catterick in January (going for the rifles), I feel mentally ready and I'm confident in upper body but Im a really weak runner, My 5k time is between 27-30 mins depending on when I run (slower in the mornings before I eat). Am I going to really struggle or will I be fine, a few of my mates who are at there regiment now have told me its hard but it slowly builds you up but i'm still worried when I get there Ill keep falling behind. I got 9.2 on beep test. I do have a couple months to bring that time down but its more the distance that gets me.

Also is anyone here starting basic for the rifles on the 24th of jan?

I've no idea on a specific answer but see you have about two months yet before you start. I am sure that with the right approach, advice and effort you can improve somewhat. Others may be able to tell you what you need to aim for. Good luck.

FrankieBoy

Clanker
I've no idea on a specific answer but see you have about two months yet before you start. I am sure that with the right approach, advice and effort you can improve somewhat. Others may be able to tell you what you need to aim for. Good luck.

Yeah i'm putting the work in just worrying about it to be honest

Don't worry about it - it's a ride. Everyone else will be feeling the same as you in one way or another. It's all an Adventure - good luck!

You'll worry yourself into not performing.

Put the effort in and you'll cope, itll be hard in training either way, it's meant to be but the harder you've trained the easier you will recover.

I was never a racing snake and could get an adequate BFT time but found the CFT as comparatively easy.
The pace was more my thing.

There will be some things you will find hard so head down , arrse up and go at it to get to the end.

Good luck.

Edited to add: Try Tabata runs to build your pace up, good cardio too.

Last edited:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To vary your training try a bit of cycling as well. Tones up other leg muscles , low joint stress and good for cardio vascular.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ignore anything the Old and Bold say. A huge amount of work had gone into the science and application of fitness training in recent years. The intent is to bring those of all levels of starting fitness to the required standard safely, reducing losses or delays due to injury.

Keep yourself fit as you are doing and you’ll be fine.
Good luck

FrankieBoy

Clanker
Ignore anything the Old and Bold say. A huge amount of work had gone into the science and application of fitness training in recent years. The intent is to bring those of all levels of starting fitness to the required standard safely, reducing losses or delays due to injury.

Good luck
Thank you as soon as these shin splints p**** off ill be right back on the routine of running every other day so im not on an off slowly getting faster and building my endurance. Its going to be hard either way but im devoted and strong headed

Good luck

What he said.

The thing is we old and bold had it done to us in exactly the same way too. The army does not expect you to be a candidate for special forces selection, or the olympics. The PT instructors are very good and will work at raising everyone to a level where they reach the required standard. So as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness they will lift you to where you need to be.

That said; if you are fitter you will find it easier. You have 2 months and as long as you work to a reasonable level you should find it easy. Remember there are blokes who will turn up who have spent their time training in the pub lifting pints.

Google interval training and fartlek training. BUT REMEMBER don't overdo it and cause yourself an injury.

Don't eat crap, eat natural and healthy foods and do lots of exercise and running before you go to basic, then you will find it easy. I must admit I was a bit disappointed at how easy basic training was as I was expecting it to be more challenging (physical wise). Still there was a couple of spotty fat lads that struggled. There's nobody to blame apart from yourself if you find it difficult - you know in advance what you are weak at so try and work on that while you still have the time to do it.

To give some context, when I was at AFC Harrogate s Company 2IC I got involved in a project (when I wasn’t running around making @PAXBloke ’s good ideas happen) involving the Master at Arms (Maj Graham C***** MM) the SMO and the similar posts at Pirbright. The idea was to see if there was a significant difference in injury patters between adult and junior entry.

The medics provided the data and yours truly, having a bio sciences and stats background crunched the data.

I showed a statistically higher lower limb injury rate in Juniors which the medics ascribed to the immaturity of young bones and the PTIs remediated by increasing the phasing in period of boot wearing and reduction of drill early on.

Given the advances in sports medicine and the like I’d hope the basic early work we did has been much improved upon.

PS the suggestion of reducing drill until young feet had got more used to boots went down like a cup of cold sick in some quarters

FrankieBoy

Clanker
To give some context, when I was at AFC Harrogate s Company 2IC I got involved in a project (when I wasn’t running around making @PAXBloke ’s good ideas happen) involving the Master at Arms (Maj Graham C***** MM) the SMO and the similar posts at Pirbright. The idea was to see if there was a significant difference in injury patters between adult and junior entry.

The medics provided the data and yours truly, having a bio sciences and stats background crunched the data.

I showed a statistically higher lower limb injury rate in Juniors which the medics ascribed to the immaturity of young bones and the PTIs remediated by increasing the phasing in period of boot wearing and reduction of drill early on.

Given the advances in sports medicine and the like I’d hope the basic early work we did has been much improved upon.

PS the suggestion of reducing drill until young feet had got more used to boots went down like a cup of cold sick in some quarters

Im 17, but im considered adult entry do you think i'll be eased into it slower than others based on those facts. I don't really want to be treated different because of my age.

I shouldn’t think you’ll have any problems. Training is designed to be suitable for all. The staff will keep an eye out for anyone having problems but they don’t want to break you. Don’t over think things, just do your best and accept that there will always be someone faster, stronger or better at drill. No one is perfect and you won’t be the only youngster there

Yeah i'm putting the work in just worrying about it to be honest

You have done the first part to solving worries and that is talking about them. I am part of the old and bold crew and so (as others mention here) really unsuited to giving specific advice. I see others better placed to comment than me are doing just that which, hopefully, is helping to address your concerns.

Again good luck to you and all of the team for this intake, and that team will also be a source (both staff and recruits) of help to you. Maybe in years to come you and they will be back here giving similar help to others about to start on the same adventure.

As mentioned above it's well structured by people who know what they're doing so as long as you work hard you'll get there in the end.
However If I had my time again I'd certainly of done a bit more training before I arrived, I met the requirements but only just and as such i found it a struggle at times, you'll have enough to concentrate on without having to worry about PT. The fitter lads on my intake only had any worries when it came to battle PT or bayonet training which would exhaust an Olympic athlete anyway.
That 5k time is a bit worrying for someone your age about to join the infantry, I'd be looking at shaving a good few minutes off that. Look at varying your workouts to include some muscle endurance as well as cardio, a martial art or circuit classes would do the trick. (goes without saying to train smart at this stage regardless of what you do, the last thing you want is an injury)
Enjoy it and good luck!

RTU'd

LE
Are you road running in boots or trainers as this will make a difference.
But until you get in to Phase 1 a moderate level of fitness will help you along the way.

chimera

LE
I start CIC at Catterick in January (going for the rifles), I feel mentally ready and I'm confident in upper body but Im a really weak runner, My 5k time is between 27-30 mins depending on when I run (slower in the mornings before I eat). Am I going to really struggle or will I be fine, a few of my mates who are at there regiment now have told me its hard but it slowly builds you up but i'm still worried when I get there Ill keep falling behind. I got 9.2 on beep test. I do have a couple months to bring that time down but its more the distance that gets me.

Also is anyone here starting basic for the rifles on the 24th of jan?

So why are you wanting to join a part of the Army in which you are required to run/tab, and why haven't you trained more already?

Latest Threads