How hard is it really?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by conure, May 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering about the phase 1 training, I've had mates that've said its easy, and mates that've dropped out after a few weeks...I'm looking forward to it, if it seems too hard then i'll just try harder..but yeah, really, what should I expect in phase 1, endless ironing and bed making?

Cheers, Luke

2. What they desire is out of shape slobs who complain at the drop of a hat and that enjoy a good spanking. But seriously it depends on everything are you a fat lazy retard? If you answered yes to any of that question you may have some problems, but the better prepared you are the more you will be successful. It is like anything in life; right mindset the better you will do. When do you head in and what are you doing?

Cheers 2CB

3. :lol:

But overall good luck...

Cheers 2CB

4. Well I've been training very hard for it, im 6' and 10 stone, so not fat (possibly could be considered quite thin..) I go running everyday for a couple of miles and usually do 2 or 3 sets of 30 pushups..I'm still trying to decide, It must be soon too because I've got an interview coming up and I have to have decided by then, I was first thinking infantry, but I don't want to leave at *insert age I leave at* with no qualifications, so then I thought C3 systems engineers, and now once again I'm thinking infantry (also considered paras as I'd love to do it, like my family , but to be honest I couldn't throw myself out a plane..)

So yeah, in short, undecided :D

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

6. Phase 1 training is not that bad. It is quite tough and very challenging on occasions - but what isn't? You get a great sense of pride and fulfillment when you complete it and the one thing to remember is that "It's not your basic training!

You'll also find that Infantry phase 1 and 2 will be harder - a lot harder - than a Corps alternative.

7. what actually is phase 1 then? what happens?

8. Concure, you have some thoughts to pan out here before you head into your interview. It all depends on what you are trying for to get in right away, I know they are looking for infantry and artillery alot right now and would most likely be able to toss you in right away. Here is what basic covers.

What Basic Training covers:

A: Field craft
    How to look after yourself and your equipment; how to live in the field, and how to observe, detect and report an enemy.

B: Weapon Training
    How to use and fire the SA80 rifle at distances of up to 300 meters.

C: Nuclear, Biological & Chemical.
    First aid and defensive measures against NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) warfare

D: Military education
    Military history, welfare and financial advice.

E: Recreation, Adventurous and Initiative Training
    Outdoor pursuits, including team sports and 'Outward Bound' activities aimed at character development.

F: Physical Fitness and Endurance Training
    As well as the organized sport in the training program, there is time to enjoy the many facilities of the ATR. All have gymnasiums and squash courts, and there is plenty of opportunity to play team games.

G: Drill
    Foot and Arms Drill building up to the Passing Out Parade which relatives and friends will be invited to attend.

H: Administration
    Your own personal administration is an important factor in ensuring that you are well organized and can concentrate on your military training without being distracted.

What next?
    On successful completion of initial training, recruits go on to complete their military trade or employment training. This is known as Phase 2 Training.

Cheers 2CB

9. Re: fitness - you're a tad on the the skinny side and might want to consider hitting the gym 3 times a week. Exercise machines rather than free weights is fine. Dips and pull-ups also. Tell the gym staff you want to improve all-round strength and stamina and get them to write you a programme. Keep the running up on the days in between gym sessions. At least one full day of rest per week, more if you're struggling.

Beyond that, best advice is not to think about it too much in advance. Be fit as possible on arrival. Keep 1) your mouth shut 2) your ears open 3) sense of humour. Work hard. You'll do fine.

10. thanks a lot for the advice guys :) I take it if the guys in charge of me ever ask anything of me I do it without question and don;t even consider asking why? lol

11. I second this: you would benefit from building up your weight and strength a little, whilst maintaining your aerobic fitness. Go to a gym and ask for advice on building core stability - back and abdominals - and upper body strength. If you're running regularly you can largely let your legs look after themselves, though you will benefit from doing some leg strengthening work to keep the muscles balanced. You probably need to put on another stone or two of muscle before you begin phase 1 to increase your 'comfort zone'.

12. whats the full inf course like
    b coz just one phase 22 weaks?

do u do the same as every 1 does in the 12 weaks?

13. Right, I shall stack on more weight, I can't afford to go to a gym at the moment as I'm jobless (I quit my last job which was a big mistake)
    But I have weights at home and I think I can do my own fitness, I'll see if I can put another stone on though...

Another question, parachute regiment, I'm very interested in this, but I've had a fear of jumping out a plane (who doesnt...?)

But I've been told by the time I get a chance to jump out a plane, I'll be ready for it, is this true?
    I may not be physically large yet, but I have the determination to make myself do it, I'm sure..

14. You don't really know until you try it, but P Company includes 'confidence' training (ho ho!) which will give you and the DS a good inkling over whether you'll actually jump when the green light goes on.

Oh... also, lots of council run sports centres have excellent gyms which you can get discounted entry to if you're unemployed, and they do have qualified instructors.

15. Try hard to find the money - its worth it.

Is there a 'fitness trail' at a local park? See if you can find a chin-up bar (anything parallel, 6 foot-ish of the floor that can hold your weight will do). Parallel bars to do dips. Sit ups. etc. use your head - weighs can be improvised: anything heavy with a handle will do - suit case, paint can full of sand etc etc.