How hard is it NOT to leave dogs in cars in hot weather?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You'd think they'd have learnt the lesson last time they cooked police dogs!
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

This happened a year or so ago also with another force - there was a prosecution and conviction IIRC.
  3. Still got his job though.
  4. There was a case in BFG when a squaddyess sucessfully baked her dog, she only popped into the shop for "a few minutes". Witnesses reckoned it was about 30 minutes. I would quite happily stuff such people into a car a see if they enjoy being slow baked.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Kind of a conviction. The officer concerned got a conditional discharge. So basically he went unpunished.
  6. women on the schoolrun leaving their babies in the car, no window open at 33 odd degrees outside temp, while they quickly pop into school to pick the bigger child up.
    then they wonder why said baby is screaming it's head off when mum comes back.
    some people shouldn't have animals or kids
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

doesn't work as well with people because we sweat, which dogs don't and is the reason they over heat.
  8. My dog din't know what to do with himself yesterday in the house, what a horrible way to die.
  9. Plods dog cars in Glos (may not be all of them), tend to a Ford C-max, with an note on it that it is air-conditioned, not sure if this works if the handler has left the car?

Still I doubt it's cheap to train these dogs so a few extra quid on a car with aircon seems sensible to me.
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

hose pipe will do the trick, fill it full of lead shot and beat him to death ( he eats far to much of your furniture)! or alternatively hook it up to the tap and give him a good soaking!
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

As I understood it dogs do sweat which is why they smell so much when damp.

my kittens were struggling and laying all over the garden to cool down.

fcuking criminal though so punishment well deserved.
  12. But he would have been in serious trouble if he had baked a second set of dogs within two years of the first.

After that he can bake away.
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

air con turns off with the engine but the car would at least be cooler for a few mins, unless they have that keypad thingy they brought in with the t5 where they can leave the engine running for the electrics but otherwise lock the car down.
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

They sweat through their tongue, hence panting cools them down. But not in an oven. If you've got dogs, not shutting them in a car on a hot day should be as instinctive as not leaving your keys in the ignition? On the last Muppet to bake a Rozzer dog...

PC Mark Johnson escaped prison and was handed a six-month conditional discharge.

The 40-year-old returned to the force but is no longer working as a dog handler and was assigned to duties in south Nottinghamshire as an ordinary response officer

During his trial at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on February 22, the judge was told PC Johnson suffered from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.

This led to him forgetting that he had left the dogs in his car which was parked at Nottinghamshire Police's Sherwood Lodge headquarters near Arnold on June 30 of 2009, the court heard.

The good citizens of south Nottinghamshire must be made up to know a response officer is an arm-flapper prone to forgetting what he has left in his car?
    • Like Like x 1