How God made the English

Just watched one of the finest and most exquisitely amusing BBC programmes this year, first of a series of three. Want to know why British forces pop up in all sorts of places?

BBC Two - How God Made the English, A Chosen People?

One for you, JJH, if you're reading (and if I've understood you from your vocabulary and syntax).

I like the Executive producer Jean Claude Bragard.

Not an English Christian name, and certainly not an English surname in language, or import of the word(almost)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Aye, He has a lot to answer for!

The presenter has a good English name,

"Diarmaid MacCulloch"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But who will He answer to? .
Now if you want to discuss that subject you will have to go over to the Religion Forum and ask Higgs-Bosun and Co.

Chap was perfectly correct, God made the English because God IS English, as any right thinking chap knows, I mean, why would he want to be anything else.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Chap was perfectly correct, God made the English because God IS English, as any right thinking chap knows, I mean, why would he want to be anything else.
If you are wanting to proove God don't exist then you are using the best argument for your case.

Does the program explain why you sent over the nutters to pester and bedevil we noble Red men? :? Life wasn't tough enough was it what with having to hunt and fish for a living in our bountiful lands 24/7 and avoid ending up as a forelock on somebody else's scalp stick that you had to send over the Puritans who had the mistaken notion that God gave them our lands and proceeded to make themselves unpopular? :?

I can only assume the answer is that he made them imediately after creating POETS days.

The workmanship is even more shoddy than on the platypus.

Does the program explain why you sent over the nutters to pester and bedevil we noble Red men? :? Life wasn't tough enough was it what with having to hunt and fish for a living in our bountiful lands 24/7 and avoid ending up as a forelock on somebody else's scalp stick that you had to send over the Puritans who had the mistaken notion that God gave them our lands and proceeded to make themselves unpopular? :?

Indeed it does. Even the Jocks get a part to play.

When the Lord God was creating the Earth, he turned to the Archangel Michael and said, "Mike, I will create a land of unsurpassed beauty. A land of towering mountains and deep lochs. Of fertile fields and forests that teem with noble beasts such as wolves and wild boar.

Under the sea that surrounds this land I will bury vast reserves of oil, so that generations yet unborn may exploit this natural wealth. I shall call this paradise on earth Scotland. And I will give it to My Chosen People, whom I love above all others."

And the Archangel Michael did ask, "Lord, I know you love these Scots, for they are your Chosen People, but do you not think you are perhaps being a little too generous to them?"

And the Almighty did reply, "You might think so now, Mike, but just wait until you see the utter cnuts I give them as neighbors!":twisted:

I feel many of you have misunderstood the intent of the title.
I watched it, and thought some of his arguments were a bit speculative. If the disaster of the Somme suddenly turned everyone off God, why did earlier defeat by the Vikings turn everyone on to God? Why did catastrophes like the Black Death or other wars where things went less than swimmingly, not turn the English away from God?

Though I thought some of his points, such as a belief in righteousness fuelling our suppression of the transatlantic slave trade, were very valid ones. I'll watch the next one to see if he develops his arguments or whether he continues with the sweeping claims.