How frequent are CSE phase 2 courses?

I'd like to know if phase two courses for communications systems engineers are run on a regular schedule, and if so what's the frequency i.e. typical amount of time between any 2 courses.

If it's not on a regular schedule, some insight into how it's organised would be greatly appreciated.

Even better would be actual or predicted dates for this year.

I'm aware there are more appropriate places to be asking this question, but those places will be closed for the next two days.

Appreciate your time fellas.

NialF

Old-Salt
I'm interested to know too, I'm hoping to get a phase 1 date soon, but they're usually given to match with phase 2.

as for
I'm aware there are more appropriate places to be asking this question, but those places will be closed for the next two days.
I wouldn't be so sure, the recruitment office wont tell you anything, other than "it varies" or "we dont know". (In my experience)

They used to be every two to three weeks. The course was modular, and you had to pass the modules in order to progress to the next one, as it built on knowledge in the earlier ones. This was for the theory phase. The equipment phase was less rigid, you could do some equipments in any order, but generally the more complex ones come toward the end.

However, this is well over 10 years old info, so it may have changed now, and there are fewer trainees. But I would be surprised if there were more than 4 weeks between successive courses (not counting block leave periods, eg Easter, summer & Christmas).

I've had two diffferent people mention that they're roughly once a month. I'll proceed as if thats gospel for now. If that turns out to be wildly wrong, I'll nip back here with corrections.

Thanks for all your help.

They used to be every two to three weeks. The course was modular, and you had to pass the modules in order to progress to the next one, as it built on knowledge in the earlier ones. This was for the theory phase. The equipment phase was less rigid, you could do some equipments in any order, but generally the more complex ones come toward the end.

However, this is well over 10 years old info, so it may have changed now, and there are fewer trainees. But I would be surprised if there were more than 4 weeks between successive courses (not counting block leave periods, eg Easter, summer & Christmas).
You're not far wrong apart from the fact that we don't have any equipment any more.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I start in a matter of days so I might be able to give some insight, if only from an observers perspective.

Courses are a few months apart depending on how many guys come through from phase one establishments. Currently Blandford is backed up so the average wait is between 4 and 6 weeks from arrival to the start of trade training. Driving is done at the end of trade training, after BCIS and PNCO, so dont plan on getting a cat B licence as soon as you get there.

Accommodation is messed up due to guys being here long after finishing trade training, so there is a good chance you may be in 10 man rooms on arrival for a few months untill people get posted. Its still better than phase one accommodation so dont be to down hearted by this. Life on camp is good, loads of sporting opportunity's and the facility's are pretty mint.

Hope this helps

>Blandford is backed up so the average wait is between 4 and 6 weeks.

Can confirm this, I spoke to a R.Sigs careers manager recently and they are turning away people from the CSE trade, due to a ridiculoudly long back log.

I would add to anyone who is thinking of applying in a CSE role, dont be put off. Perhaps wait and use the time to work on phys (as phase one is a kicking regardless of trade) then apply.

Should be a more clear view of things come November so keep an eye out.

Wait so... even though CSE used to be a role the army was actively trying to fill, that seems to no longer be the case, and instead it's slightly flooded?

So people like myself who've already applied for CSEng like 6-12months ago, can expect to wait even longer after our assessments, instead of being given a very quick start date?

In other words my assessment is in 2 weeks, and I can pretty much expect to wait till many months into 2017 till I get a phase 1 start date?

No phase one intakes are unaffected, delays are at the end of phase two trade training related to driving courses. Its something that's being resolved already.

Any delays in phase one are usually the result of Capita being rubbish. Dont let anything here put you off if your applying.

Keep in mind i'm just a phase two mook, I don't have any official information so take everything with a healthy pinch of salt.

Ok I'll remain optimistic. Thank you.

I was planning on doing a personal driving test ASAP after phase 1 anyway, I don't want to wait 12months to get my license and start driving. Think I'll get time to fit that in? Also, while I'm in the company of people who know what's up, anyone know if the base training pay of like £15k also includes during Phase 2? Or can I expect basic Signaller pay once I enter phase 2?

Blandford is a ballache to get to if you dont drive. Loads of people give lifts and we have a lifts group set up.
pay is around £14k/year for the first six months. Come month 7, you go up to £18k/year.

Blandford is a ballache to get to if you dont drive. Loads of people give lifts and we have a lifts group set up.
pay is around £14k/year for the first six months. Come month 7, you go up to £18k/year.
Oh right, definitely a good idea to try and fit in some driving lessons then? Right now I can't afford them, so I'm thinking of taking them once phase 1 is over and during phase 2.

Once you are here its another story. We are very well organised with lifts, an entire group dedicated to sorting each other with lifts. Frequently at weekends people will play taxi to fund the next nights drinking or just to get some fuel money and drop some one off on the way home.

No idea on practicality on learning while your here. I'm sure it could be done, but once you get here you will probably realise its not worth it.

I've just completed my assessment for rejoining, they are trying to fire me into phase 2 as soon as poss, hope it works. I already drive so would be up for dropping lads off if it's on my way to the local airport or Tidworth.

I should say for anyone interested, my recruitment CSM told me he's got lots of dates before christmas and right through it, so I guess there wont be any delay at all!

From what I have seen since I started phase two, the guys who start phase one arround xmas (both before and after) are in larger intakes in phase two. Now I dont know if that translates to trades but certainly when I was in my initial phase one troop, there were tons of guys going RSIGs, when I went back in to training after an injury, there were noticeably less. Blandford seems to alternate intakes, by which I mean each is predominantly from one ATR (or Harrogate). Those intakes mid year are usually a mix of Winchester and Pirbright. Harrogate usually all get lumped together as they are younger and graduate in larger groups (Harrogate being a huge sausage factory).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BanjoBill The NAAFI Bar 0
msr Army Reserve 0
G ARRSEpedia 0