How fit should i be ???

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by midlandsboy101, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,
    I decided i am going to join up i am 20 years old and am quite small build 5.7'' weighing about ten stone i would just like some advice on if there is a required build or weight ?? I am managing my 1.5 mile run time on average in about 10.30 and am managing heaves, press ups and sit ups fine,
    However my endurance running is not good at all and would like some advice on how far should i be training for what is expected of you when you join considering i get in that is ???? :?

2. As its late and no one will reply for a while;
    You dont say what or where you want to join this will dictate how fit you'll need to be, but on a general basis

Your 1.5 run time sounds good 10:30 or under is a good place to be.
    Press ups and sit ups work on getting as many as you can in two minutes (i.e. 2 mins of press ups, and 2 mins of sit ups)
    Heaves is best effort so being able to do some is good.
    There is also a jerry can walk as part of the selection process so grip strength is quite important though not quite as important as mental strength.

These are the requirements for selection to the best of my knowledge and will be good enough for the start of training. The army dont expect you to arrive super fit, a reasonable standard will suffice so they can build you up.

I dare say tommorrow someone with more specifics will answer your question.

RustyH

3. You should be able to run no less than 20 miles to be taken seriously. Preferably at night.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

10:30 for the run my 37 year old brother does it in 9:23 and hes an old fcuker with knackerd knees. get faster, get stronger.

Sort out your upper body strength that doesnt mean turning into the hulk but it does mean press ups and pull ups and get a couple of jerry cans to fill up with water.

5. 5"7? well all your other stats are good but you should be averaging 6.9 mins per 1.5 mile. also need to pass the sigmund freud pressup test otherwise you will get backsquadded.