How fit do I have to be to get into the Military?

I've been wanting to join the military after I graduate college, and it's something I have decided I want to do with my life. Thing is, I'm a little worried about passing the physical fitness test. Now the reason I say military instead of army is because I'm torn between joining the marines and joining the army. How hard is basic training and how fit do you have to be for both the Marines and the Army?

I'm looking more for stories of personal experience then the shit you get with a Google search by the way.

I've been wanting to join the military after I graduate college, and it's something I have decided I want to do with my life. Thing is, I'm a little worried about passing the physical fitness test. Now the reason I say military instead of army is because I'm torn between joining the marines and joining the army. How hard is basic training and how fit do you have to be for both the Marines and the Army?

I'm looking more for stories of personal experience then the shit you get with a Google search by the way.
They are not going to put you through a final fitness test on day 1. If you are healthy, of average fitness for your age and put everything into pre acceptance training that is required, then I doubt you will have any problems.

The rewards are not merely a career, but a good chance you will retain a fair level of fitness throughout later life. I was chuffed to bits to have played football well into my fifties and I still manage a decent five miler in my early seventies.

royalmarines.uk will tell you all you need to know about fitness levels and anything else you wish to know about joining the RM.
RM requirement: you need to ask yourself how you look in a little black dress.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer

If you're worried about passing the fitness tests, you'd better start working on your fitness now.

As to the tests that you'll find on the Army website; for your own sake don't just aim to be able to pass them. Train till you can surpass the entry standards with ease.

Run 8km in under 40 mins, 50 press ups with ease and 10 pull up's with ease ,
also learn to map read, if you can do all that youll be ahead of most.

Run 8km in under 40 mins, 50 press ups with ease and 10 pull up's with ease ,
also learn to map read, if you can do all that youll be ahead of most.
John Clark from the 'cool running' web site states that a man who is in shape and runs 15- 30 miles per week can expect to post a 10k time of around 48 minutes. The new army fitness tests include a 6 mimute and 30 seconds warm up jog followed by a 2k run which must be completed in 11 munutes or less. In effect the average in shape man times and the army requirements are not that far apart.