How fast do you run?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bingobongo, May 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of an expansive question this but it's aimed more at the more experienced runners on here such as Brotherton Lad et al. Not wishing to sound like a dick but I'm not asking for everyone's current 1.5 BFT time and plan on how to lower it before ADSC. There's another thread for that...

The reason I ask is I've always been a bit unsure about what is generally regarded as the correct pace to be working at on a regular basis. Time was where everything I did was absolutely flat out and I never ran further than 6 miles (recovery runs being an alien concept) and then I switched that over for distance and hill work when I started competing more seriously in fell runs, ultras and mountain marathons.

Nowadays I tend to do very few runs over 12 miles (running 4-5 days a week) with sprint sessions in there as well but nowadays I'm at the point where if I don't finish absolutely hanging then I feel like I've not worked hard enough.

So, the question I put to you all is... should all runs be done at the pace that leaves you absolutely ruined at the end or not? Common sense says no but the masochistic part of my brain says yes and the masochistic part of the brain is generally the bit that gets you fitter in my experience.

Anyhoo, answers on a postcard and all that...

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Well, since you mentioned me, I'll have a pop.

I prefer to ring the changes in terms of effort and distance, using the old rule of thumb: hard day, easy, day, hard week, easy week. Throw in long, steady distance, fartlek, hard interval work, hill work, on road/off road, la-de-da recovery runs etc.

All work and no play, and all that. When running seriously, I'd do 2 hard sessions a week (or one hard and one race), about 6 somewhere in the middle and a couple of easier, longer jobbies. That was training twice a day most days with a day of rest frequently in the mix.

Now the mileage is right down, I do tend to run a bit harder for shorter distances, but then I'm only at it 3 or 4 times a week.

In terms of pace I'm thinking hard means unable to speak beyond the occasional groan, steady means the odd short sentence and easy means long, pillow talk exchanges.
  3. Depends if it was madras,vindaloo or phal.
  4. Depends on who i'm chasing or who i'm running from.
    If it's for the last train on a Saturday then it's quicker than usain bolt!
  5. Very, very slowly ... but I will get there. You didn't want a serious answer did you?
  6. Should your question be 'How hard do you run'?

Fast to a beginner can be a plod to a seasoned runner or a gifted runner even though they're both putting in the same amount of effort.

Those who run hard day in day out are looking for an injury in my view, though I've found most runners don't put in as much effort on a weekly/monthly basis as they could do.
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Well, there's beer to be drunk.
  8. Run? What the **** are you smoking?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Depends who's chasing me and if I want to be caught
  10. Run?
    Ohhhh, I remember that.
  11. I'm running 6m in mornings in around 50 minutes with a lot of hills in there but I'm going to try and change it up a bit today. I'll get a quick hill sprint session in this afternoon. These mountain marathons, etc sound a bit extreme but its something to look into. Long term goals, etc.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

What is such word, run?