How fast can a HGV/LGV go?

I thought HGV/LGV artics were restricted to 56mph? I followed a TNT artic truck on the A30 near Truro tonight doing up to 71mph , my car read 76mph and my GPS read 71mph.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I notice that Irish registered vehicles seem to lack the restriction device, I got oveertaken by a Mack truck
I had to check my speedo in case I had stopped !!!

I thought HGV/LGV artics were restricted to 56mph? I followed a TNT artic truck on the A30 near Truro tonight doing up to 71mph , my car read 76mph and my GPS read 71mph.
They are and it's rare that the restrictor is inaccurate.

It's possible to disable the odeometer to beat the restriction and the tacho, but this is unlikely with a big company. They are sticklers.

Was it pulling a trailer?

I notice that Irish registered vehicles seem to lack the restriction device, I got oveertaken by a Mack truck
I had to check my speedo in case I had stopped !!!
The Irish are known for bending the rules.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
did you get the reg number ?
I have found TNT very helpful when dealing with complaints about vehicles
a while back I had cause to write to them re one of their drivers using a mobile phone while driving across a busy road junction
fired of a polite short email, did not expect a reply
got a phone call the next day to check the details then another a week later to confirm that action had been taken

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Irish are known for bending the rules.
it was carrying cattle, I was on a motorbike coming back from Oban along the Loch, I nearly jumped out of the saddle when it went past
fair credit it was in good hands, nothing silly but fast smooth driving

Probs a Polish agency driver or the likes of, they'll know all the scams of disabling the restrictor. Very unlikely to be a company driver, as they are on digi tachos that are monitored.

did you get the reg number ?
I have found TNT very helpful when dealing with complaints about vehicles
a while back I had cause to write to them re one of their drivers using a mobile phone while driving across a busy road junction
fired of a polite short email, did not expect a reply
got a phone call the next day to check the details then another a week later to confirm that action had been taken
Grass

it was carrying cattle, I was on a motorbike coming back from Oban along the Loch, I nearly jumped out of the saddle when it went past
This it?

Those bastards that pull those trailers of logs don't hang around either.

Shilts

War Hero
Lgvs as they are referred to now I believe have to have speed limiters fitted, may be wrong, if in future you or any of us observe in particular Lgvs exceeding 60 mph I suggest we take the reg no if safe to do so and report to Mr plod earliest, Tnt would not be best pleased to know one if their drivers was putting members of public at risk.

Probs a Polish agency driver or the likes of, they'll know all the scams of disabling the restrictor. Very unlikely to be a company driver, as they are on digi tachos that are monitored.
Agency are monitored in exactly the same way.

Tacho is handed in to the transport office at the end of every shift and analysed on the spot.

Agency who fucķ up can be dismissed instantly. It's called 'banned off site'. Because the agency is the employer, the company can do what they like if they don't like you. Employment law doesn't apply. That's part of the reason they use agency.

Agency are monitored in exactly the same way.

Tacho is handed in to the transport office at the end of every shift and analysed on the spot.

Agency who fucķ up can be dismissed instantly. It's called 'banned off site'. Because the agency is the employer, the company can do what they like if they don't like you. Employment law doesn't apply. That's part of the reason they use agency.
Aye but you forget the vast amounts of petty criminals that turn up through agencies. The big companies couldn't give a **** about their staff, Drivers are ten a penny now. Analyze Yodel for example.

Aye but you forget the vast amounts of petty criminals that turn up through agencies. The big companies couldn't give a **** about their staff, Drivers are ten a penny now. Analyze Yodel for example.
I don't understand your point.

Driving agencies don't (last I worked for them) do dbs checks.

What's being a petty criminal got to do with speeding?

You're right that the big companies don't care, but they absolutely care about their operators licence.

I don't understand your point.

Driving agencies don't (last I worked for them) do dbs checks.

What's being a petty criminal got to do with speeding?

You're right that the big companies don't care, but they absolutely care about their operators licence.
I've seen one bloke arrested at a depot as he was hitching a trailer, management totally oblivious to it, they just get on the phone to the agency and get another one in. Drive down the A1 at night you'll see any amount of LGVs speeding. Most the big companies are using agency and self employed.Reduces their overheads massively. They just pass the buck onto agencies and contractors.They all have shit hot legal teams as well.

Latest Threads