How Far Would You Go.....For a Cup of Coffee?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RearWords, Apr 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So this is my first post - and I've had a few drinks - so don't diss me.
    I once went all the way to Jamaica to buy some coffee - true.
    On holiday there I ventured up the Blue Mountains to buy some coffee, the stuff is mega expensive here in the UK. Most of the coffee plantations there are owned by the Japanese who export to Japan, only 20 per cent goes to Europe and the US. So I stuffed my suitcase full of coffee - interestingly no one challenged me, I could have had anything in those bags!!! Spent the next three months supping the most expensive coffee in the world, Jamaican Blue Mountain - crap stuff - give me Guatemala Elephant coffee everytime. Now there's an idea Guatemala anyone?!!!

So how far have you gone? 8)
  2. Is that a lie ? :D

I once forced a coffee down from a vendor at Leeds Train Station.......I maintained a degree of respectability by nibbling sporadically on a bagel.....
  3. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

To the kitchen. :D
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

No where.
  5. I've considered buying my own beans and roasting them at home using a popcorn machine (google for more info*). I thought that was extreme, but I like your idea of visiting the country and buying it myself.

*google for more info on this method, not about me :)
  6. Instant coffee,hot water from tap...stir...enjoy! Job done!
  7. Depends who is asking. I've travelled 7 miles for a brew with OFAH. I've travelled 240 miles for lunch with Beebs.

How drunk were you when you posted this?
  8. reni - no, absolute truth :D

The_Snail - very drunk, I get brainier the more I drink :)

ofcrneko - no, make a cup of the real stuff, I promise you if you like coffee you will never return to instant :wink:
  9. So...where do I google to find out more about you then...amazing_lobster :roll:
  10. I drink coffee every day...need it to survive, but I work in a jail and percolated roast coffee is not always available; and most of the time I'm not able to leave the facility during shift.
  11. What do you do.The hot drinks trolley?. :lol:
  12. Easy ofcrneko - buy a cafetiere, grind enough beans for a week (or get a coffee shop to do it for you), put in container, take to work, make coffee as required during the day using cafetiere like a teapot, share with mates!
    Do you have cafetieres or teapots where you live? :oops:
  13. Donkey_Spanker - doh I was only flirting over coffee 8)
  14. :D

You could always buy this and a flask...

Oh, if anybodies interested Lidl are selling 500g of coffee beans for only 3 quid. I'm not sure on the quality, as I've not opened mine yet, but it's cheap, and bound to taste better than pre-ground or instant :)
  15. Sounds like a plan..thanks for squaring me away; the normal 20oz. cup of coffee I bring to work usually lasts about an hour, and you really don't want to drink what's available for the inmates.