How Far Would You Go.....For a Cup of Coffee?

So this is my first post - and I've had a few drinks - so don't diss me.
I once went all the way to Jamaica to buy some coffee - true.
On holiday there I ventured up the Blue Mountains to buy some coffee, the stuff is mega expensive here in the UK. Most of the coffee plantations there are owned by the Japanese who export to Japan, only 20 per cent goes to Europe and the US. So I stuffed my suitcase full of coffee - interestingly no one challenged me, I could have had anything in those bags!!! Spent the next three months supping the most expensive coffee in the world, Jamaican Blue Mountain - crap stuff - give me Guatemala Elephant coffee everytime. Now there's an idea Guatemala anyone?!!!

So how far have you gone? 8)

RearWords said:
So this is my first post - and I've had a few drinks - so don't diss me.
I once went all the way to Jamaica to buy some coffee - true.
On holiday there I ventured up the Blue Mountains to buy some coffee, the stuff is mega expensive here in the UK. Most of the coffee plantations there are owned by the Japanese who export to Japan, only 20 per cent goes to Europe and the US. So I stuffed my suitcase full of coffee - interestingly no one challenged me, I could have had anything in those bags!!! Spent the next three months supping the most expensive coffee in the world, Jamaican Blue Mountain - crap stuff - give me Guatemala Elephant coffee everytime. Now there's an idea Guatemala anyone?!!!

So how far have you gone? 8)
Is that a lie ? :D

I once forced a coffee down from a vendor at Leeds Train Station.......I maintained a degree of respectability by nibbling sporadically on a bagel.....

I've considered buying my own beans and roasting them at home using a popcorn machine (google for more info*). I thought that was extreme, but I like your idea of visiting the country and buying it myself.

*google for more info on this method, not about me :)

Instant coffee,hot water from tap...stir...enjoy! Job done!

Depends who is asking. I've travelled 7 miles for a brew with OFAH. I've travelled 240 miles for lunch with Beebs.

How drunk were you when you posted this?

reni - no, absolute truth :D

The_Snail - very drunk, I get brainier the more I drink :)

ofcrneko - no, make a cup of the real stuff, I promise you if you like coffee you will never return to instant :wink:

I drink coffee every day...need it to survive, but I work in a jail and percolated roast coffee is not always available; and most of the time I'm not able to leave the facility during shift.

Easy ofcrneko - buy a cafetiere, grind enough beans for a week (or get a coffee shop to do it for you), put in container, take to work, make coffee as required during the day using cafetiere like a teapot, share with mates!
:clap:
Do you have cafetieres or teapots where you live? :oops:

RearWords said:
So...where do I google to find out more about you then...amazing_lobster :roll:
:D

ofcrneko said:
I drink coffee every day...need it to survive, but I work in a jail and percolated roast coffee is not always available; and most of the time I'm not able to leave the facility during shift.
You could always buy this and a flask...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013UEFHA/?tag=armrumser-21

Oh, if anybodies interested Lidl are selling 500g of coffee beans for only 3 quid. I'm not sure on the quality, as I've not opened mine yet, but it's cheap, and bound to taste better than pre-ground or instant :)

Sounds like a plan..thanks for squaring me away; the normal 20oz. cup of coffee I bring to work usually lasts about an hour, and you really don't want to drink what's available for the inmates.

ofcrneko said:
Sounds like a plan..thanks for squaring me away; the normal 20oz. cup of coffee I bring to work usually lasts about an hour, and you really don't want to drink what's available for the inmates.
Forget coffee, try chefir: 1/3 of leaf black tea on 2/3 of boiling water, let it stand for a bit... It will last you all night. :D

So no real coffee lovers on here then? Willing to go the extra mile for the taste of perfection!

amazing_lobster - buying your coffee from Lidl might mean its cheap but is it any good, I doubt it! You've invested in a coffee machine/cafetiere(?), bought an expensive grinder and now you want to put £3 coffee beans in it :crying:

Get yourself down to Whittards or any good coffee house and browse - do the sniff test, buy and enjoy :excited:

RearWords said:
So no real coffee lovers on here then? Willing to go the extra mile for the taste of perfection!

amazing_lobster - buying your coffee from Lidl might mean its cheap but is it any good, I doubt it! You've invested in a coffee machine/cafetiere(?), bought an expensive grinder and now you want to put £3 coffee beans in it :crying:

Get yourself down to Whittards or any good coffee house and browse - do the sniff test, buy and enjoy :excited:
Lidle coffee quite a respectable brew, but harsher than more expensive brands.
Drinking a Douwe Egberts medium roast right now, supple with that weighty taste you need and on offer in Tesco right now £2 for 250gms

ringdoby said:
reni_77 said:
I maintained a degree of respectability by nibbling sporadically on a bagel.....
How can you maintain respectability minching on a stale, tasteless doughnut?

Hermer.
Ill have you know it was drenched in rocket salad, philadelphia and sliced roasted peppers......and I now realise by that statement alone I have confirmed your initial offering of 'hermer'....and upped it to 'Julian Clary's extremely embarassing gay mate' :D