How far do you walk a day ?

Issi

LE
Try soaking them in water, let them dry until just damp then wear them.

Thanks for that, i’ll definitely give that a go.
I’ve never known boots like these, it’s like they’ve been carved out of a solid block of wood!

I found them for £5 in the back of a charity shop.
Similar boots are now in the region of £220, so I don’t want to not use them

Kirkz

LE
I’ve never known boots like these, it’s like they’ve been carved out of a solid block of wood!

I had some DM's that cut my feet to ribbons every time I wore them, soaked them then wore them for a few hours damp and now they are very comfy.

I’ve got a pair of leather Meindl boots, and I’m trying to break them in, but they’re absolutely rock hard.

Have I just got to get on with it and wear them, or is there a less painful alternative?
Try NEAT's FOOT OIL, sparingly on the insides only.

Use a good quality cleaning product as recommended by Meindl on the outside.

Then man up, put them on and knock out an old fashion BFT.

Please PM me if you are bedded down with bad feet afterwards. I'll give you a £10 for them (Are they size 9's?).

Or wear them standing in the bath of warm water and a lot of fairy liquid. Marking time to put some movement in the boots. (Best done when the Long Haired CO is out, as some get a tad emotional!!!).

I recently bought a pair of retro copy DMS boots to relive my 1970 army days. Soaked them in soap and water in the bath, marking time etc and they fell apart after 30 minutes. Same as the originals I was issued with in 1976.

....then you will suffer with breathing problems, heart palpitations, mobility issues, and will reduce your life span by about 20 years, depending on how much of a porker you are, only you can sort it out. Start with short walks , increase the distance week by week, cut out the shit food, no takeaways, no beer, and FFS dont smoke.
Thanks. I had sleep apnoea and high BP before I stopped exercising. I don't have takeaways, I'm a 8yr free recovered alcoholic, and haven't smoked for over 35yrs. I have fooked knees and nerve damage in my back thanks to a slipped disc. ;)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

They've probably dried out, depending on what sort of leather they are, get some Dubbin or high oil content polish, warm the boots & polish slightly so it's absorbed into the leather, don't worry about the finish as you'll need to do this two or three times more, stuff the boots with newspaper and keep warm between application of polish. Wear the boots around the house, pay attention to the lacing, especially if they're pre-worn as you'll need to pull the boots to the shape of your feet, if there are any tight spots, steam the inside of the boots before you put them on. Lace as tight as you can and let your body heat do the work.
With new boots, I don't use them for anything more than around the house & garden for two weeks or so, getting the 'set' right is crucial for long term comfort, years ago I had a pair of Altberg's that I used too soon due to circumstances, one of them was never really 'right' due to the crease forming in the wrong spot, as much as I tried, I could never get it to be as comfy as the other one.

Not saying the above is Gospel, just what works for me.

Snip/

I recently bought a pair of retro copy DMS boots to relive my 1970 army days. Soaked them in soap and water in the bath, marking time etc and they fell apart after 30 minutes. Same as the originals I was issued with in 1976.

Did you throw all your bedding out the window and award yourself a thousand knees to the chest, just to complete the experience?

Issi

LE
They've probably dried out, depending on what sort of leather they are, get some Dubbin or high oil content polish, warm the boots & polish slightly so it's absorbed into the leather, don't worry about the finish as you'll need to do this two or three times more, stuff the boots with newspaper and keep warm between application of polish. Wear the boots around the house, pay attention to the lacing, especially if they're pre-worn as you'll need to pull the boots to the shape of your feet, if there are any tight spots, steam the inside of the boots before you put them on. Lace as tight as you can and let your body heat do the work.
With new boots, I don't use them for anything more than around the house & garden for two weeks or so, getting the 'set' right is crucial for long term comfort, years ago I had a pair of Altberg's that I used too soon due to circumstances, one of them was never really 'right' due to the crease forming in the wrong spot, as much as I tried, I could never get it to be as comfy as the other one.

Not saying the above is Gospel, just what works for me.

Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it.

this has got me thinking, I might get some sort of step counter, thing is no legs , no lower arms so need something that would be suitable , thinking along the lines of a pocket one , thoughts ?
Oh and dont suggerst one fixed to my sticks !

tgo

LE
Something GPS will measure distance but probably not steps, you'd know how far you travelled though, most of the pedometers or smartbands use arm movements to indicate 'steps'

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
My personal trainers insist on a minimum circuit of five miles per day (for me - they generally manage considerably more, most of which is at the sprint with a swim thrown in for good measure).

I've done at least 7,500 miles with the Springer and at least half that with the Cocker.
xmas.jpg

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
this has got me thinking, I might get some sort of step counter, thing is no legs , no lower arms so need something that would be suitable , thinking along the lines of a pocket one , thoughts ?
Oh and dont suggerst one fixed to my sticks !
Any of these suitable?
I was going to suggest one of the odometers I had on my bike as a kid that had a peg attached to the spokes but that would only work with a wheelchair.

ETA- Just realised the link was missing!

Last edited:

Poppy

LE
Thanks. I had sleep apnoea and high BP before I stopped exercising. I don't have takeaways, I'm a 8yr free recovered alcoholic, and haven't smoked for over 35yrs. I have fooked knees and nerve damage in my back thanks to a slipped disc. ;)

I have got quite keen on cycling since I bought a bike last summer - I make an effort to go out most days even if it's only to the shop to get milk, I hadn't cycled for about 30 years and was very wobbly at first. It's much easier on the knees than walking. Can you go swimming at a quiet time in a pool? That should help

good luck - it's difficult some days to exercise but keep telling yourself it's something you are doing for yourself and in time you may enjoy it and miss it if you don't go out one day

I walk ~5km a day with the dogs in woodland, keeping a good pace, probably the same at work but it's more sedentary, like @Jimmy_Green I'd like to know the distance & energy used etc. but I don't want to wear a tracker that will hoover up my 'profile' and sell it to the lowest bidder... I also don't like wearing things on my wrists!

I have a pair of Lowa combat boots which have quite a rigid sole, Sorbothane insoles help massively, I use different boots (Lowa Z-8N) if the ground has been dry for some time as they have a more flexible sole, I can feel the difference day-to-day in my knees. I use Haix safety boots for work, not the cheap-as-chips supplied stuff that will cripple you within days, but allows the employer to fulfil their statutory duties to supply PPE...

+

IE:
You can find a dirt cheap pedometer, the old ones like you clip to your belt for a very small amount of money. Then use the site above.

Did you throw all your bedding out the window and award yourself a thousand knees to the chest, just to complete the experience?
No the but 'LONG HAIRED CO' put me on ROP's when she caught me in the bath naked wearing boot's DMS.

Some folk have no sense of humour.

Or as she states I have no sense (fullstop).

TamH70

MIA
Just back from a short stroll to the Robertson Car Park in the Glennifer Hills above Paisley from my gaff in Maxwellton Street - for a total distance of just under 7 miles. According to my Google Fit app, I did 136 Move Minutes and gained 84 Heart Points over 13,759 steps. Not bad for a fat bastard. I did have a bit of a scare when I checked my heart rate at one point heading up the hill and it was 172 bpm...

I had a sit down on a bench, looked at the scenery, which was nice, knocked back my flask of coffee, had a half of a Mars Bar and headed back home.

Going back tomorrow once I've picked up my neighbour's prescription for her.

tgo

LE
One time I did 7 miles, I thought wow, I hadn't left the garden...

Turned out it was recording my brush strokes as I was painting the shed and turning them into 'steps'

So I have a seven mile shed now :D

Just back from a short stroll to the Robertson Car Park in the Glennifer Hills above Paisley from my gaff in Maxwellton Street - for a total distance of just under 7 miles. According to my Google Fit app, I did 136 Move Minutes and gained 84 Heart Points over 13,759 steps. Not bad for a fat bastard. I did have a bit of a scare when I checked my heart rate at one point heading up the hill and it was 172 bpm...

I had a sit down on a bench, looked at the scenery, which was nice, knocked back my flask of coffee, had a half of a Mars Bar and headed back home.

Going back tomorrow once I've picked up my neighbour's prescription for her.
Any idea of what your resting heart rate is?

TamH70

MIA
Any idea of what your resting heart rate is?
70 ish, though I've seen it as low as 55 when I'm doing absolutely nothing but thinking.

TamH70

MIA
Just back from the hill-side car-park again. According to my Google Fit app, combined with the trip in and out of the town centre for a bit of clothes shopping/picking up my neighbour's prescription for her which I did before tea-time, I got 125 Heart Points, which isn't bad considering the weekly goal is 150, did 272 Move Minutes, walked 10.44 miles and trundled for 22,058 steps.

My heart rate stayed below 150 even on the steep bits, which is nice considering I tend to walk quicker up hill than on the flat.

Back out again tomorrow once I've joined the neighbours in paying respects to one of my tenant's association members who died recently.

Latest Threads