How far can a submerged sub roll over...and then what happens?

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by graeme838, Jun 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was reading a report of the collision between the USS Hartford, and USS New Orleans, which stated that the sub (Hartford) rolled 82 degrees on to her side as a result of the collision (she was at periscope depth at the time of the collision). This got me wondering what would happen if it had rolled 91 degrees - would it roll inverted, and if so, what happens then - or could it re-right itself?
  2. From a layman's view, I'd imagine that the bouyancy of a submerged sub's fin would make it very hard to roll, and would probably self-right it if it did.
  3. Was she under way and on the surface when hit? all those factors would have had a bearing on the likely outcome.
  4. If a sub rolls completely over, they get the crew to all stand in single file down the length of the vessel, facing front. They all then get the orders:

"Left turn!"

"By the left, double march!"

The action of all the pastie fasted homos running in unison actually rights the sub. They all then retire to the galley for a celebratory shot of rum, and a bit of bum fiddling.
    • Like Like x 11
  5. You omitted one vital piece of Naval tradition from that procedure. They also sing that song "Roll me over, roll me over, turn me round and do it again"
    • Like Like x 1

6. As it says in the OP, she was at periscope depth and both ships were underway at the time

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Which is played on the Ipod of the most useless sailor.
  8. There are too many variables for anyone to be able to give you a definitive answer.
    What follows is the stats for the last half dozen times I've pranged my sub in a similiar fashion.

1. Rolled to 48 degrees and self-righted.

2. Rolled to 37 degrees and self-righted.

3. Rolled to 71 degrees and self-righted.

4. Rolled right through 180 degrees. Woo hoo.

5. Rolled to 45 degrees and remained there.

6. Rolled to 90 degrees and sank with all hands.

What about you chaps? Lets hear your amusing submarine collision dits.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Why would you imagine that the fin has any bouyancy? Do you think it's made of Styrofoam?

Whether a sub would self-right or not depends on where it's centre of gravity is in relation to it's centre of bouyancy (don't ignore the fact that these two points are not fixed). It would be a fool who designed a sub that didn't have a sufficient righting moment to right the thing whatever angle it rolled to.
  10. I am afraid I never managed to roll mine but we did have hairy 5 minutes once when we pulled a fishing boat under by it's net.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. So they dont do a barrel roll in order to celebrate a 'kill' like those heroic RAF types then?
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Also, whether it was damaged or holed by the impact.
  13. I was once in a sub that was raped by short sighted blue whale. Took ages to bale the whale spunk out of the torpedo room.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Has anyone got the link to "Yellow Submarine" on You tube?
  15. From some reading about older submarines (WW2), I got the impression ballast tanks had permanent openings at the bottom. Water ballast displaced by introducing compressed air into the tank.

If that is correct, an inverted/capsized submarine could not empty its ballast tanks.