How easy is it to re activate a deactive firearm?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by TartanTrooper, Mar 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. read in the paper a soldier was getting done for having 20 odd ak47s, makarov (sp) pistols ect from iraq and afghan and all had been brought in to the country deactivated and when he was raided they were active, just wondering if it was easy to do or if it would take someone skilled to do it
  2. How long is a piece of string?

It depends 'HOW' they were deactivated.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. On my Ruger Mini 14 de activated by Helston guns they drilled out the breach block and fireing pin and cut an 8 inch slot into the underside of barrel through to the bore, and welded up the rest of the barrel, it would still feed a drill round but that was about it.
  4. Freddy Forsyth wrote all about falsly deactivating a weapon to bring it into the country, think it was in 'Day of the Jackal', it would be very easy to provide a 'deactivated' weapon that on first glance would appear to comply, the details I wouldn't have thought were for an open forum though, people might get ideas ;-)
  5. It would be easier to make one from scratch, which is the point of current deactivation legislation. All the importantload-bearing bits are cut off, most of the moving bits are welded together. It's a collection of scrap that resembles a firearm.

There was a documentary on a few years ago that showed an amateur gunsmith test firing a Uzi he'd reactivated. He hid under the table and operated the trigger with a long bit of string. He obviously knew the quality of his wares.
  6. To make a pretty good recoil opperated sub machine gun is hardly rocket science, a modern CNC lathe and bobs your uncle, you can get all the info you need on the net, to make a "Bang Stick" you only need to go to your local DIY superstore
  7. As has been said it depends on how they were deactivated. If they were done to current UK standards you can pretty much forget it. If they were done to older UK standards you would still need barrels and a lot of machining work. Anyone who could do it would be able to build one from scratch. You'd maybe be using the trigger group and the stock etc. Everything else is usually fubared.

Odds are they weren't actually deactivated when he brought them in.
  8. Got a link to the story? :?
  9. I wonder how he got DEAC certificates in Iraq
  10. It used to be that workshops could do a deact for you and you could get it back with a simple sticker...I expect that has changed since I left though
  11. Reactivating blocked barrels can be tricky even with a decent lathe if they have been deactivated properly . I won't go into too many details but essentially even if you can remove the blockage, it is important to get the barrel straight (obviously) and without removing too much material, otherwise you'll not get a tight fitting round and all the propellant gases will escape. If the barrel is overheated during the drilling out process the material properties of the barrel can change. I wouldn't want to be the one to try and proof the barrel if your intention was to fire a full power cartridge after a reactivation done in the garage. It is easier to start from scratch and get a new barrel.

However, it does entirely depend on how it has been deactivated as stated before.
  12. In order to benefit from the deactivation allowed by the Firearms Amendment Act of 1988, the weapon has to be deactivated to tht current Home Office standard and then go through one of the two Proof Houses. There is no discretion on this because it is all written into the Statute.

Prior to the Act it was down to each individual Police Force to decide whether to put it to a Court to decide if a 'deactivated' firearm was still a firearm. Which is still the case for a firearm with out a Proof House Deactivation Certificate and/or mark.
  13. Exactly. If a rifle has been deactivated properly, then in thoery it should be impossible.
  14. Recoil Operated submachinegun? Blowback maybe, like a Sten gun or MAC-11 as they are pretty crude to begin with. Here in NYC I've seen a Very fine condition Dewat PPsh-41 and all that's been done is to plug the chamber face. a Barrel replacement and its up and running.
  15. The guns that were coming out of Afg at one time were all antiques and did not need deactivation...

There was a scheme for backloading "trophies" back to UK, but this was only available to units who had to pay for deactivation and certification back in UK. This was not available to individuals.

There was not a scheme for bringing back personal arms from Iraq. Captured weapons were either recycled back to the Iraqi Police/Army or destroyed. A small number went back as training aids, but again were backloaded through official channels.