How does the UK manage to keep its triple A credit rating?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Matematik, Jan 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. France is likely to be loosing its AAA credit rating soon, and yet, their situation isn't that different to ours. Their unemployment rate is similar to the British rate and their exports and manufacturing industry far exceed ours.

Frankly, on paper it should be the UK loosing its credit rating and not France. Yet the UK seems to maintain its credit rating all the time while other countries around us are being continuously downgraded.

I'm guessing its because the perception of the UK is a highly politically stable country with well-behaved, globalised politicians who would rather the country starved than not pay a debt back? Whereas countries like France, Greece, Spain, etc have fiery, hot-headed people with a fiercely independent streak who are just as likely to turn around and tell the lenders to **** off and not repay their debts. As a result, they are seen as more risky, less stable, volatile markets and thus they have lower credit-ratings.

Would you say this analysis is more or less correct?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I pay over £500 a month in tax alone. It's easy to see how the useless ******* keep afloat. With ***** like me paying them my hard earned cash whilst half the country sit on their arses watching Jeremy Kyle.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. you cant manipulate the Euro without doing it to all 27 members states, were as we can to the £, so we have flexibility to do so, but its a civi companies own view, so couldnt care less really about their persevered power
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Because we currently have a government who whilst are a bunch of ***** they are currently cutting a fuckton of services because shock horror, we cannot afford them. The UK will lose it's rating when Labour return and promise sunshine and candy for everyone.
  5. France wanted us to loose our AAA rating, so if they loose their's. I'll laugh my cock off.
  6. Well,obviously someone,somewhere,cleverer than you and I,thinks their situation,isn't the same.

But,I would agree,that the countries you mention,are thieving bastards,who would borrow money,knowing full well that they can't pay it back,which means they're a bad credit risk,maybe ?:)
  7. France and their hissy fit pointing at us was nothing short of a child running to tell on another child. Hence I am really hoping they lose their AAA rating.
  8. It`s not a game ,dipstick. It`s about whether people have a roof over their heads, and food in their bellies.
  9. Its simple. The government came up with a financial plan early and are sticking to it.

The US were surprised at their loss of AAA, clearly thinking they were too big.

As for the Euro I suspect certain member states expected to crack on as normal and other members would stabilise the Euro.

This is why there is all the fuss about transaction tax for trading in the city. The Germans and French Et Al want it because it effects them less as no one does as much trading as the City of London. As a buy product, if a transaction tax is introduced its possible to drag the UKs AAA rating down and create a level trading field.

Hopefully Banker will be along to explain things better.
  10. It was not France doing that, it was their politicians. Not the same thing.
  11. Don't forget the lazy ***** 5% pay rise.
  12. I agree that the Tories have inherited a mess but how can they justify one one hand cutting services and pay for public sector workers, yet on the other hand agree to build a £33bn railway to get you to England's biggest shithole 19 minutes quicker, and give all the workshy a 5% payrise?
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Reduced to its most simlistic, the Bank of England can simply print money to pay the EUs debts (at the cost of high inflation). The Euro zone doesn't have that luxury.

In addition there are major structural flaws in the euro zone - not least that Club Med has lost (on average) 30% of its competitiveness against Germany - allowing Germany to export at will to Club Med and leaving club Med struggling to export to northern Europe (and the rest of the world).

Brown fcuked over the UK economy, but we still have a chance to pull back from the brink. The picture is less rosy in the Euro zone.

14. I would guess that those at risk of losing their AAA rating either owe/are owed lots of money and those who owe have;

- No clearly obvious means to pay back their debts
    - No convincing plan to get back on track
    - Might have a good plan on paper but no realistic hope of implementing it

Those who are owed lots of cash and at risk of downgrade depend on the first lot for their credit worthiness.

A downgrade means the ratings agencies consider (it is just an opinion they state) these countries to be high investment risk. They might be right or wrong but they are listened to and acted upon.

Those about to be downgraded squeal as they cannot borrow money as cheaply or have to pay higher returns on any of their own invesment opportunities such as soveriegn bonds.

We (the UK) at present are viewed as having a good plan that we will implement to meet our obligations, even at the expense of our own citizens. Whether you think it is a good plan or not is another matter. Greece et al also don't owe us as much as they do to France for instance.

Either way we might be in hoc as much as the troubled lot, but the view is we will pay back in full and on time.
  15. Credit Rating agencies base their evaluations on a set of assumptions about how likely particular nations are to pay their debts when due. It has nothing to do with the underlying strength or stability of the economy concerned.

The UK can pay its current obligations because its overall economy can be harvested to do so. It has a significant portion of its revenue from the tradable sector, rendering it uncomfortably vulnerable in the long run compared to countries with higher non-tradable sector involvement - but that's not a factor in the CRAs' assessments.