How does the TA compare with the real thing?

Sarcastic and sensible answers welcome from TA and forces.

F

fozzy

The_Commander said:

The view from Fozzy's office window:

Big Army = Regular Army + TA + Reservists

Each component has different terms and conditions - and there is significant movement between all three components.

So I would argue that the TA is the Real Thing.
The guys in WW1 and WW2 certainly thought so, and I'm sure the ******* shooting at "The Big Army" on Telic 2 didn't care about my T+C's! (mind you neither did Kentigern House)

Dunny said:
even if your reserves or reg you're still a Soldier of the British Army!
the TA Plays a Vital Role on operations
May be you're not a rep after all - my apologies Dunny.

Question and a half that....

Does the TA compare to the real thing.....:lol: Not sure if anyone on here's been to a fake Iraq or Afghan like...

(Tongue in cheek): TA work during the week and are soldiers at weekends. Regulars do the opposite.

Isn't ambiguity wonderful?

Puttees - Yeah, it's great, and from a financial perspective it also means maximum use of and minimal conflict over training resources e.g. ATE. Winner!

Now all they need to do it sort out the mess which is terms of service, mobilisation lead times, post-demobilisation support, employer relations, soldiers concern over enforced disclosure of their membership of the TA to their civilian employers, medal lag times, training course availability (not directed at BSTTs who are wonderful), anything to do with Glasgow, 'MORE PEPPER', MTD-caps, and insert some spine into the political masters over voluntary mobilisation for MACA tasks such as Op FRESCO.

However, they have/are getting it right with ArmyNET, mobilisation & pre-deployment training, moving webbing onto your 1157s, funding for recruitment, welfare support for deployed TA soldiers and their families (I am informed from grass roots), BSTTs, RFCAs, mobilisation hardship allowances, loan stores, and the ever increasing recognition that the majority of our number are quite capable of holding their own on ops.

How does TA compare with the real thing? Loaded question, because the TA is one essential element of the real thing.

I apologise if the phrasiology (is that how you spell it?) of my initial topic question caused any offence. Non meant.

You have all answered my question in one way or another : The TA is clearly an Integral, and extremely important, component of the bigger picture. The TA members are as important as the rest and they pride themselves in what they do.

Cheers

(i apologise in advance as i have probably offended someone with this post too?!)

No need to apologise - the insecure will just raise doubts about your sincerity.

fozzy said:
I'm sure the ******* shooting at "The Big Army" on Telic 2 didn't care about my T+C
on telic 1 we did ask the mayor of a local town to ask the locals not to shoot at us except weekends and tuesday nights cos we were TA.. supprisingly thay didn't listen.

The_Commander said:

Define 'real'. And all this time I was playing fake soldiers. Who knew!

One do a great job on tour, behave professionally, always prepare to go the extra mile to get the job done and make up mature & responible adults. And the other is the so call "real thing"

The main difference is that if you're in the TA, the baddies fire blank at you when you're on ops.

five-ten years ago, IMO, the TA put on a uniform and in the main played at being soldiers. ( Some notable exceptions, 131 (Cdo) Sqn RE (V) and 21, for example).

A few years ago, someone in Whitehall realised that it is far cheaper to train up and deploy TA soldiers on a limited number of Operations, in support of the Regular Army, than to maintain a fully established unit.

As such, anyone joining the TA today will almost certainly be deployed on future Operations - TELIC being the obvious, but 16 Bde are off shortly, etc.