How does the ACF compare to other countries cadet forces?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Bug-out!, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps,

Having read another thread about MTP. Sapperted made a comment about the Canadian Cadet Force wearing a different uniform because they do things differently. I have always suspected that we in the UK are a bit more military in outlook than other Cadet Forces but have no real proof to substantiate the claim.

This got me thinking and it would be nice to know how the UK ACF compares to other similar Cadet Forces from around the world. By this I mean in terms of ethos, training and funding. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each countries system and what you would take from each country to create a near perfect Cadet Force.

It would be good to hear from those who have seen how other countries do this, (eg. from exchange visits or even being a cadet).

2. As far as the US is conerned, comparisons are a little complicated, as there is the United Army Cadet Corps, (see Junior ROTC later)
    About : U.S. Army Cadet Corps

They run with close to same age range as the ACF, biut there are differences, one major one to me being that they have a physical and medical test, as opposed to the ACF which accepts anyone excepting only medical conditions which cannot be coped with. The ACF does not either have a nationality requirement or definite codes of conduct for "outside of cadet" life, but I would not hold that too harsh, as I belive scouting still does!

There is a subtle difference here as well:

"The U.S. Army Cadet Corps (USAC) provides young people with an extremely realistic view of military life. This is accomplished through hands-on experience in a variety of career fields while instilling strong values, positive character traits and a sense of civic responsibility".

They add a "don't have to join disclaimer, but, if you join this to the annual physicals, and that (whilst the site quites 65% join the US Services if they have been in cadets more than 18 months), all of those I spoke to over here were destined for such.

I would judge less of a youth organisation and more of a military school, albeit it party time on a voluntary basis.

=============================================

The Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC )is an OTC sort of equivalent, run at colleges, and many will be sponsored with mil scholarships. The US Goverment funds around 1400 colleges to run these.

I add them in, as they are often confused from the decent side of the Atlantic with the Junior ROTC, which is run in around 1800 High Schools, and I guess a sort of CCF compoarison.

https://www.usarmyjrotc.com/jrotc/dt

View Image

My impression is that they are more military minded aand more with as many of their young people going an armed services career route than our ACF,and their training seems largely devoted to public displays or drill, and "armed drill".

In contrast some I met over here years back on exchange who found us as ACF far less military in our display, could not understand why we didn't have Cadet Captains and Majors, but were also impressed, after the rank shock, by the very much equivalent standards or better of our own Cadet Corporals and Sergeants out on AT or Fieldcraft.

My strongsst fear for them, nice kids though they were as Cadet Captains or Majors, that they would find it very hard to readjust to the bottom of any new pecking order in their futures. But I have felt this of odd CCF Cadet NCO's!

Overall, whilst both the UAC and the JROTC would actually claim they offer" a
    realistic military experience", my view is that they offer realistic on the bull, and far less so in any of the more useful areas to most soldiers.

In my experience with the ACF, and there will always be the odd obnoxious cadet to not hear it, and the odd CFASV not to pass it on, but that the ACF honestly pass to its young people with services intention a reminder they are in a cadet world, and the big one out there is harder.

My experience of talking with the US cadet orgs I have come across, has feeling has been that are kicked out on a high, witrh seven rows of "medals," thinking they are God's gift!"

Or is that just septics?

3. You typing that with your teeth or your ears?

4. Aussies don't do gats - 'n the instructors' knobs smell of sheep shit
    Canuks don't do fieldcraft - 'n the instructors' shit smells of bear knobs.
    Not sure about the Indians

The boxheads were the most hardcore, but they disbanded in 1945

• Like Like x 2
  5. Didn't they use to?

As I recall, didn't a (ex?) Cadet go a little "Micheal Ryan" in the late 80's which limited the Cadets overall exposure to weapons?

6. Julian Knight? Was sacked from RMC Duntroon for being a loon.

Julian Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. I remember reading an article in the Cadet Comic about some AI doing an "exchange" in Oz. The theme was "do you need gats?", n' described their boy scout / civil defence syllabus. I guess they have a website.

....they do & it seems they do shoot with service gats, but looks like it's "farmed out" to the Oz regular forces.

8. British:

[​IMG]

German:

[​IMG]

American:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Hong Kong Adventure Corps is the post 1997 successor to the Junior Leaders Corps of Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers). It maintains quite a lot of the former's military ethos and is not disimilar to the ACF. One major difference being that there is no adult military service for the cadets to go onto. Hong Kong also has an SCC and ATC as well as cadets in various civil organisations such as the Civil Aid Service, St John's, Auxillary Medical Service etc.

They do exchanges with UK ACF units.