How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Yes but when?

I had never seen one in all my service in either the French or (later) the British Armed Forces and I served under the colours 5 and 25 years respectively (Regular and TA/AR).
Brought into service at very short notice in 2014/15 as a reassurance measure during the more relaxed phase of Op Sentinelle (Reputedly after a couple of NDs on the streets of Paris followed by their equivalent of a parliamentary question). First few thousand were turned out on a 3D laser printer in-house at an establishment close to Verseilles. Production was then turned over to industry.

Brought into service at very short notice in 2014/15 as a reassurance measure during the more relaxed phase of Op Sentinelle (Reputedly after a couple of NDs on the streets of Paris followed by their equivalent of a parliamentary question). First few thousand were turned out on a 3D laser printer in-house at an establishment close to Verseilles. Production was then turned over to industry.
Thanks.

From the Legion's official Instagram page, some seasonal training pictures. This is not 2 REP but a mainland based regiment, I think that it is the 13 DBLE up on the Larzac plateau.
1639853446289.png

1639853477199.png

1639853527816.png

Sorry to not live up to the high posting standard of @Condottiere @Jean d'Épée and @fantassin. Here's the latest mascot of 2 REI, Tapanar IV, being presented with his képi blanc by the head of the FFL, General Lardet.

Tapanar is off to Castelnaudary for training. If he proves himself satisfactory, he will be awarded his fourragère and regimental badge.

Nothing is free in the Legion!

View attachment 623979

I love the sympathetic, animal-friendly glance of the guy holding the presentation-cushion thing . . .

I love the sympathetic, animal-friendly glance of the guy holding the presentation-cushion thing . . .
Probably thinking:
"How many salami sausages could I get out of that?"

Depending on which six years, it may have been possible particularly if he was in the GCP or the "Chuteurs Ops" or C.R.A.P. as they were unfortunately named previously, (Pathfinder Platoon/ Tier 2 SF).

However what is more likely is that he has mixed together actual Operational tours and the normal four month Company rotational tours overseas to the usual garrisons abroad, where it is quite normal to also perform MACP type duties, as the French call them Missions/ Operations as well.

For example in my five years in, I participated in two actual Ops (Lebanon '82 and Chad '84) and two Company rotational tours (Djibouti '82-'83 and CAR '83). Due to courses and other issues, I missed out on two further Company rotational tours (Djibouti '85 and CAR '86). When I arrived at my Company in 2 REP in early '82, they had just returned from another Company rotational tour in the CAR that had begun in '81. So it was quite normal to undertake a rotational "Mission" tour abroad every year and then if you were to add fastball short Ops, it is very feasible to have done eight in six years.
He refers to them as “active missions” do that makes sense. Your Legionnaire works hard for his money. I can’t see a British Army unit coping with that kind of operational tempo without protest from the pad wives. A problem I suspect FFL doesn’t have to deal with.

He refers to them as “active missions” do that makes sense. Your Legionnaire works hard for his money. I can’t see a British Army unit coping with that kind of operational tempo without protest from the pad wives. A problem I suspect FFL doesn’t have to deal with.

That would probably mean a mix of Company rotational tours abroad and the odd Operational tour.

Yes, it's one of the advantages of the Legion. For a minimum of the first five year contract, you live, breathe, eat, drink and defecate in red and green. The Legion is your family, your support group, your world. It has been compared to a secular fighting monastic order. You are available 24/7, particularly in 2 REP.

In my time, when the French Army was still mostly conscript the other fully professional units of the FAR (Rapid Action Force) also tended to do similar overseas rotationd. These days with a much smaller fully professional French Army all units take their turn in rotational tours abroad. So the tempo is maybe a little slower.

However with the addition of Op Tours abroad such as Afghanistan and Mali and internal security ops such as Vigipirate and Sentinelle the tempo increased again in the last decade and something had to give. So most combat arm regiments in the French Army were augmented by a further sub-unit.

M.W. finished his carear in 83 ish, as a Cpl Chef
Kolwezi
2 years in Djibouti
Back to the REP
Tchad, and things
Ended his time as a P.M. (police militaire...you might know him ?)

M.W. finished his carear in 83 ish, as a Cpl Chef
Kolwezi
2 years in Djibouti
Back to the REP
Tchad, and things
Ended his time as a P.M. (police militaire...you might know him ?)
I did know him. Decent bloke. AFAIK, he was not former BritMil, but I may be wrong.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
You're a f#cking bellend:rolleyes:
Not the greatest commentary ever, given that @Condottiere has been around here for years and has consistently been an interesting, informative and witty poster and you.... well, who are you and what are your qualifications for making that assertion?

Ah, I see that I can still extract the best effort that someone is able to give. ;)

Last edited:
A very merry Legion Christmas to all the readers of this thread !

1640267594641.png

Latest Threads