How does the 2 REP (FFL) compare to the British Paras?

The COMLE (i.e. GOC the Foreign Legion) General Alain Lardet made a visit to the Foreigh Legion Detachment in Mayotte (DLEM) and passed through La Reunion where currently a Company from 2 REP is on a short (four month) rotational tour reinforcing the Regular Paras of 2 RPIMa:

1637617699599.png

1637617829271.png

1637617643874.png

So, as well as there being a Battle Group from 2 REP deployed in the Ivory Coast on the other side of Africa, another Company is deployed to La Reunion.

A point to note: 2 REP being the size it is, would be able to provide two deployable Battle Groups (GTIA'a in French) and have manpower left over for a sizeable Rear Party back at Camp Raffalli in Corsica.

Last edited:
Not 2 REP (although divers from 2 REP's 3rd Company also undertake the same training as part of their skill-set) but French Army Combat Engineer Divers (which includes the diver platoons in both 1 REG and 2 REG):

When 6 REG (which later was renamed 1 REG) was formed in the early eighties, quite a few divers from 2 REP transfered to the (parachute qualified) diver platoon there - called DINOPS at the time.

2 REG, training in the Alps:

Latest 2 REG video clip:

Brrrr!

Last edited:
The COMLE (i.e. GOC the Foreign Legion) General Alain Lardet made a visit to the Foreigh Legion Detachment in Mayotte (DLEM) and passed through La Reunion where currently a Company from 2 REP is on a short (four month) rotational tour reinforcing the Regular Paras of 2 RPIMa:

View attachment 617431
View attachment 617433
View attachment 617427

So, as well as there being a Battle Group from 2 REP deployed in the Ivory Coast on the other side of Africa, another Company is deployed to La Reunion.

A point to note: 2 REP being the size it is, would be able to provide two deployable Battle Groups (GTIA'a in French) and have manpower left over for a sizeable Rear Party back at Camp Raffalli in Corsica.
Yeah I just checked that out, with five rifle coys each of four platoons, 2 REP can presumably put over twice as many “ boots on the ground “ as a British or even US parachute battalion.

edited to add: would seem that other French para regiments have four rifle coys ?

Last edited:
Yeah I just checked that out, with five rifle coys each of four platoons, 2 REP can presumably put over twice as many “ boots on the ground “ as a British or even US parachute battalion.

edited to add: would seem that other French para regiments have four rifle coys ?

To answer your last point: In recent years most French Army Regiments (Regular and Foreign Legion) increased in size by an extra rifle company (compagnie de combat) in order to be able to maintain the operational tempo. The three other airborne infantry regiments (1 RCP, 3 RPIMa & 8 RPIMa) in the 11th Parachute Brigade (11 BP) all have five rifle companies.

Where 2 REP has an extra manpower pool is that as the only major French Army unit in Corsica it also mans the Calvi Defence Base, which provides Service Support to the French Armed Forces across the whole of the island. And thus has an Administrative Support Company and a Regimental Maintenance Company in addition to its Command (HQ) and Logistics Company, (Operational) Support Company and five rifle companies (plus a sixth reserve company from which former full-time REP-men may trickle reinforce on external operations). It is thus able to generate two Battle Group (GTIA) HQs, and provide the framework troops for two Battle Groups (to which other sub-units such as Armd Cav, Arty or Engrs may be added). With enough troops left over to man the Base and carry out essential services.

A team of Legionnaires (can't tell which regiment) on Op Sentinelle, in a wintry Paris:
1637882714194.png

? The pic is not complete (only 4 G.V.s)..…in Paris, no way
It's Xmas soon
Means a lot for Sentinelle corvée
Act of présence until...!
This looks like a fire team.

I would expect that a Company is deployed to cover a particular sector and the component platoons (French = "sections") cover it in shifts. The "Section" (UK = platoon) is split up into its "Groupes" (UK = sections) across their designated areas and they are further split into their two component "Equipes" (UK = teams/bricks) which patrol on parallel routes for mutual support.

Sectors/areas/routes will vary a bit from day to day so as to not form patterns which could be anticipated and avoided or ambushed.

Last edited:
Tour de Eifel...no way...full group, without a doubt
C'est symbolique (la cible)
1 REG or 2 REI, my opinion...
Cap badge, other side...!
Some one took the pic... réglo = staged

Last edited:

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Latest 2 REG video clip:

Brrrr!

I love the snow and skiing, and I love bushwalking in an alpine environment. I've even mountain biked in it. I love shooting, have shot prone in the snow, swimming and haven't been scuba diving for a while. I've easily passed aircrew and the Navy swim test. Heck, I've completed a mandatory survival course but not the winter one. But I'll be fcuked if I am ever going swimming in an iced up lake in the middle of winter, unless of course it was a survival situation.

And that gentlemen is why I live near the coast, warm water and some of the best beaches around.

One for @LepetitCaporal ! And other former 2 REI men and Legion infanteers ("fantassins" in French) in general.

Not 2 REP but 2 REI. Nice video clip from the Legion's official Facebook page:

Latest Threads